Britbike forum

1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project

Posted By: Jon W. Whitley

1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/16/17 1:21 am

Just picked up this gem yesterday, July 14, 2017, from a fellow BritBike member. Thanks Red !! Anyway, it is a 1968 Daytona and looks like it may have been sitting since the '70's and definitely the '80's in some kind of leaky shed or "barn" ...cough, cough. However, the engine turns over, so that is a good thing ! I unloaded it from the truck before heading to work and then attacked it after I got home today. First thing I did was rummage through my kickstand (side stand) collection and get one attached to the bike. The next thing I will do is remove the extended Triumph disc brake front end and fit a proper, stock length front end to this bike...hopefully tomorrow.

The whole goal for this machine is to be able to get it running and back on the road with what parts I already have on hand and spend as little as possible buying new parts....not counting a possible engine rebuild. So, we'll see !!

I will post pics shortly

Posted By: D.Bachtel

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/16/17 1:42 am

Sounds good, looking forward to the photos!

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/16/17 9:47 am

And here we go. It is rough !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Side stand added.....it sits pretty high !

[Linked Image]

Posted By: kurt fischer

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/16/17 10:41 am

Looks fun, Jon. :bigt

We sold a lot of tweak bars, back in the day ... .
Posted By: Red Lapierre

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/16/17 1:15 pm

Good luck with Jon. Keep posting pics.
Thanks Red

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/16/17 1:57 pm

I've seen a lot of bikes with "filler" on the top frame tubes lately.
Guess those high mount peanut tanks looked a little better with a clean pedestal.

New front end will help.

Nice save Jon.

Don in Nipomo

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/17/17 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Red Lapierre
Good luck with Jon. Keep posting pics.
Thanks Red

Originally Posted by D.Bachtel
I've seen a lot of bikes with "filler" on the top frame tubes lately.
Guess those high mount peanut tanks looked a little better with a clean pedestal.

New front end will help.

Nice save Jon.

Don in Nipomo

Red, thanks and will do.

Thanks Don.

I came home from work yesterday and attacked it immediately. It took me about 4 hours from start to finish and into night, but I got it done. I will say, that if I didn't have a fork tube puller,it wouldn't have been done last night.I do have the expensive puller but used my older and cruder puller which is only for non oil in frame Triumphs. It still works a treat though. I have to tighten it all up but it now rolls with stock, correct length forks !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: R Moulding

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/17/17 6:51 pm

What an improvement. Looking forward to following.

Rod
Posted By: StevieP

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/18/17 3:31 pm

Great improvement Jon, and a TLS front stopper! :bigt

Whats next?

Keep up the swift work!

Steve

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/19/17 1:44 am

+1
What an improvement. Looking forward to following.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/21/17 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by StevieP
Great improvement Jon, and a TLS front stopper! :bigt

Whats next?

Keep up the swift work!

Steve

Steve, I will be fitting the proper 1968 H2100 "P" Clamp Triple Trees and 8" SLS front wheel. The later and wider triple trees were fitted to accommodate that DLS because it had a tire on it and the SLS didn't.

Here's a clearer pic of the bike with proper type forks fitted and after I degreased and washed it yesterday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: GrandPaul

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/21/17 2:59 pm

I wonder why the frame was "mudded-in", as it doesn't appear to have been raked?

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/21/17 3:26 pm

Nice!! :bigt

Looking good Jon.

Can I ask how the inside of the oil tank looks? Any clue as to whats lurking in the way of oil in the engine??

Always liked the Daytonas!!

Steve

PS How does your Cafe Racer seat look on the bike??? Am picturing Don Burnett's 1962 Daytone winner!!!!! :bigt

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/21/17 7:59 pm

Very cool, and fun.

Let us know what you might need, who knows what's hiding at the back of the shelves.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/21/17 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by GrandPaul
I wonder why the frame was "mudded-in", as it doesn't appear to have been raked?

Good question. Maybe they planned to run a low tunnel peanut tank riding the top of the backbone. I will torch/burn it off soon.

Nice!! :bigt

Looking good Jon.

Can I ask how the inside of the oil tank looks? Any clue as to whats lurking in the way of oil in the engine??

Always liked the Daytonas!!

Steve

PS How does your Cafe Racer seat look on the bike??? Am picturing Don Burnett's 1962 Daytone winner!!!!! :bigt

Thanks Steve ! I haven't looked into the oil tank yet but have been meaning to. I did take the primary cover off and it is nicely oiled and looks good.

Originally Posted by kurt fischer
Very cool, and fun.

Let us know what you might need, who knows what's hiding at the back of the shelves.

Thanks Kurt, will do and thank you !!

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/24/17 12:45 am

Steve, I took a look inside the oil tank today and it is pretty clean....no rust or condensation buildup. The oil doesn't look bad either.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/29/17 12:58 am

I'll post a picture or two but the rear sub-frame is greatly tweaked to the right side of the bike, not to mention also terribly welded on in a few places. I happened to spot an NOS rear frame section on eBay and it will be on the way shortly. I also have some NOS shocks I've been saving and will use them on this bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Subframe-Rear-Frame-Section-Triumph-500-T100R-T100C-Daytona-Trophy-690r/132260896641?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/03/17 12:21 am

It's Here !!

[Linked Image]

Unwrapped and will be bolted on in the next day or two. I'm pretty excited !!

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/04/17 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
It's Here !!
[Linked Image]

Jon, you should flip that rear wheel (the one in the background) over so the brake hub doesn't catch rain water!

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/04/17 3:11 pm

Jon, you should flip that rear wheel (the one in the background) over so the brake hub doesn't catch rain water!

Paul,

They don't live outside....just reorganizing the garage.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/05/17 12:14 am

No pics for now but started disassembly of the rear frame section today. Pretty rusty and grimy but coming apart rather easily so far whistle

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/07/17 12:38 am

Today I was going to swap out the rear frame section but the filled in part of the front frame section and numbers area was really bothering me, so after extensively degreasing the rear frame mounting area and center stand, I attacked the filler instead. I used a propane torch to burn the plastic filler off and a few scrapers. I have had to do this to a few frames in the past and they were all filled in over cardboard. However, these jokers decided to use thin walled steel and brazing along with the filler to do the job mad Now, I wonder what the best way will be to get that braze-brass off of there...all ideas welcome ? And, hopefully the coil mounting bracket is still there.

Fortunately, they didn't totally destroy the numbers on the frame. You can't see the first two numbers after the H in the pictures but I can just make them out. However, as it stands right now, they wouldn't be visible once paint is applied. Looks like I'll have to register it before painting !

Also, strange arrangement on the ignition switch/wiring setup. Maybe the owner at the time was running a solo seat in order to get to the switches crazy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cleaned up !

[Linked Image]

Ignition wiring gone wild !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/07/17 7:22 am

I use a low flame on an oxy torch to chase away the brazed repairs on petrol tanks. Once it's liquid you can scrub it away with a wire brush.

Rod

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/07/17 4:38 pm

Thanks Rod. Unfortunately, I don't have an oxy torch though.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/07/17 11:57 pm

Heat would be ideal but if you're talented you could possibly remove the braze with a small grinder .
I'd cut the sheet metal out close as I could to the tubes first and then attack welds. Don't grind any metal from the frame!
Cutting wheel, abrasive flap wheels and a steady hand might do it. Finish with a hand file.

Don in Nipomo

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/07/17 11:58 pm

Good news....the coil mount is still intact !!

[Linked Image]

I also removed the rear frame section today. I'll clean it up and spray can paint it while I wait for the rubber gaiters and other small bits to get here. The rear wheel in the foreground of the next pic is the one that will be going on this bike.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/08/17 12:16 am

Originally Posted by D.Bachtel
Heat would be ideal but if you're talented you could possibly remove the braze with a small grinder .
I'd cut the sheet metal out close as I could to the tubes first and then attack welds. Don't grind any metal from the frame!
Cutting wheel, abrasive flap wheels and a steady hand might do it. Finish with a hand file.

Don in Nipomo

Don, you posted while I was attaching the pics ! Anyway, that is what I have been considering as well and did some of that today. I might also try some MAPP gas too as it burns hotter than propane.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Stuart

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/08/17 5:26 am

Hi Jon,

[Linked Image]

Good news....the coil mount is still intact

Bad news ... the main bracket and the one under the frame tube (that combined make the best coil mounting brackets) have been severely mutilated ,,,

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/08/17 7:32 am

Rather than trying to remove the braze, why not use a flap wheel on a grinder and blend it to the tube. Not ideal but better than removing metal from the frame tubes. Only reason I say this is that the frame tube is normally somewhat rough and the braze will have flowed into all the little imperfections. You will be unlikely to grind it all away without at least heavily polishing the frame tube.

Rod

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/08/17 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi Jon,

Bad news ... the main bracket and the one under the frame tube (that combined make the best coil mounting brackets) have been severely mutilated ,,,

Hi Stuart,

I can work with those. Better than having nothing there and having to start from scratch.

Cheers

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/08/17 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by R Moulding

Rather than trying to remove the braze, why not use a flap wheel on a grinder and blend it to the tube. Not ideal but better than removing metal from the frame tubes. Only reason I say this is that the frame tube is normally somewhat rough and the braze will have flowed into all the little imperfections. You will be unlikely to grind it all away without at least heavily polishing the frame tube.

Rod

Rod,

Yes, sounds like the way to go. I have my Dremel, a grinder and a drill, so between them all and some other small tools, I think I can get my desired outcome.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/08/17 6:41 pm

A couple of these on your grinder will be all you need

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Abrasives/Industrial-Abrasives-Finishing/Abrasive-Discs/Flap-Discs/?N=5002385+8710644+8710812+8710951+8711017+8718601+3294857497&rt=r3

Rod

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/09/17 1:42 am

Wow, thanks for the links Rod :bigt beerchug

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/24/17 12:10 am

Well, I was able to get the new rear frame section and NOS shocks mounted today. I had to wait for the paint to dry and the hardware to soak in the cleaner, etc.. It's looking a lot better, me thinks !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/24/17 1:00 am

Looking Good Jon.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/24/17 9:36 am

Looking Good Jon.

Thanks Red
Posted By: Don Leaming

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/24/17 6:35 pm

Looks like lots of fun! My first Triumph was a 70 T100s so I have really enjoyed following your project. Btw, your garage looks a lot like mine! A busy place!
Cheers
Don

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/25/17 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Don Leaming
Looks like lots of fun! My first Triumph was a 70 T100s so I have really enjoyed following your project. Btw, your garage looks a lot like mine! A busy place!
Cheers
Don

Thanks Don. Yes, it is a pretty busy place and I have finally got it somewhat organized finally !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/29/17 12:30 am

Over the past few days I've been doing what I can after work, mostly just doing cleaning and rust removal on parts. I also removed the brake drum and sprocket from the original wheel to install it on the replacement wheel. I cleaned those up and have derusted the brake plate and gave it it's top coat of semi-gloss black today. Looks good...enough :bigt I'll post pics tomorrow.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/04/17 12:51 am

Got the rear brake plate derusted and painted. It was pitted pretty good but no reason not to use it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next, onto burning off that Bondo. That is some nasty stuff when trying to get rid of it !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Slowly but surely !

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/05/17 2:41 pm

I got a good majority of the sheet metal off last night and hope to have it all gone by today. I just have to get more Dremel cutting discs and a few other tools and finish it up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/05/17 6:23 pm

Looks better already!

Rod

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/05/17 11:23 pm

Looks better already!

Rod

Thanks Rod. I did some more cutting and cleanup today. Getting closer !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/18/17 10:08 am

I finally got rid of the sheet metal and a fair amount of the braze off tonight. All that is left is some cleanup. I had borrowed a friends Oxy-Acetylene torch to help with the braze removal but ended up knocking it all off with a hammer and chisel. I'll clean it up with a small grinder and flap wheel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/01/17 2:27 pm

Finally made some progress in the last week. The vast majority of the braze, sheet metal and Bondo until my drill decided to retire for good. Got the rest with my grinder and hand tools. Good enough for now !

Getting the frame prepped for paint.

[Linked Image]

Removed the bearing cups for a roller bearing kit to be installed.

[Linked Image]

Frame painted.

[Linked Image]

New roller bearing races installed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More work to do today getting the front end installed !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/03/17 1:15 pm

Got the forks reinstalled. The left fork gaiter came apart and a spare set I had is apparently for a Tiger Cub or something, so had to order some. No worries, the front wheel has to come off again anyway.

[Linked Image]

Couldn't resist seeing it with proper tank and seat !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next, I got the new bars installed....perfect style of bars too !!

[Linked Image]

Cleaning up the rear wheel for installation of the new 4.00x18 Dunlop K70.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

New tire mounted. The old Avon was no fun to remove.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/03/17 11:56 pm

Worked for several hours today getting the rear wheel back together and ready to mount on the bike. It seems that no matter when I start, it will be dark by the time I am done with just one project and today was no exception ! Anyhow, the rear wheel is fully assembled and back on the bike. Sorry for the low quality pic but here it is.... lookin' good !! cool

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/04/17 11:16 am

Worked for several hours today getting the rear wheel back together and ready to mount on the bike. It seems that no matter when I start, it will be dark by the time I am done with just one project and today was no exception ! Anyhow, the rear wheel is fully assembled and back on the bike. Sorry for the low quality pic but here it is.... lookin' good !! cool

Yep, lookin' good, Jon :bigt

BTW, it's getting dark earlier these days, no reflection on your work grin

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/05/17 1:32 am

Yep, lookin' good, Jon :bigt

BTW, it's getting dark earlier these days, no reflection on your work grin

Ha ha ha....thanks Kurt !
Posted By: C.B.S

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/05/17 2:39 pm

A lot of work but its coming along! I really dig the design of the Triumph 500 motors
Posted By: Tiger100

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/06/17 4:38 am

Way to go Jon, be careful though all that attention on the one bike the others will start getting jealous hehe

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/06/17 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by C.B.S
A lot of work but its coming along! I really dig the design of the Triumph 500 motors

Definitely so and I agree wholeheartedly !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/06/17 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger100
Way to go Jon, be careful though all that attention on the one bike the others will start getting jealous hehe

Thank you Grant. As for the other bikes, I think they already are !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/07/17 4:23 am

Now she's looking like a proper bike Jon. I've got a hankering for a project bike like this, little harder to come by over here.

Rod

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/08/17 10:36 pm

Now she's looking like a proper bike Jon. I've got a hankering for a project bike like this, little harder to come by over here.

Rod

Thanks Rod. I know the majority of Triumph and BSA bikes came to the U.S. but even here, guys think the well has dried up. They couldn't be further from the truth, as evidenced in this other recent thread.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=710215#Post710215

This stash is about an hour away from me. The middleman selling the collection knows of two or three others even nearer to me. And that's just what's on the surface. Who knows how much is out there and local to me in rural Vermont. Then, try and imagine the more populated states ! So, keep looking, you may have something similar near you !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/08/17 11:30 pm

This stash is about an hour away from me. The middleman selling the collection knows of two or three others even nearer to me. And that's just what's on the surface. Who knows how much is out there and local to me in rural Vermont. ...

Hi Jon,

I hope I can make it to one of your visits to these stashes.

I've mentioned the independent shop, Vintage Steele in Brattleboro VT -- they scour the Vermont countryside for those barn finds, with some British showing up, like this one

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/10/17 12:21 am

Hi Jon,

I hope I can make it to one of your visits to these stashes.

I've mentioned the independent shop, Vintage Steele in Brattleboro VT -- they scour the Vermont countryside for those barn finds, with some British showing up, like this one

Hi Kurt,

I hope so too !! BTW, I wouldn't mind making another trip out to that stash in St. Johnsbury/Lyndonville. Apparently Wednesdays and Thursdays are the available times for the seller. I am off this Wednesday if you can make it ?

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/10/17 11:11 am

Hi Kurt,

I hope so too !! BTW, I wouldn't mind making another trip out to that stash in St. Johnsbury/Lyndonville. Apparently Wednesdays and Thursdays are the available times for the seller. I am off this Wednesday if you can make it ?

Hi Jon -- I would love to head up thataway, but some family matters are keeping me closer to home this week, more news later,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/10/17 11:57 pm

Hi Jon -- I would love to head up thataway, but some family matters are keeping me closer to home this week, more news later,

No worries Kurt, family takes precedence wink

Maybe next week or so.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/17/17 12:04 am

Ordered a 3.25x19 Dunlop K70 for the 1966-1967 8" SLS wheel that I will be fitting to the Daytona. I have also been cleaning the wheel up and getting it ready. A few other small parts and the chain arrived today, so looking forward to getting them installed !!

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/22/17 11:04 pm

Well, the K70 arrived and has been installed on the correct type 8" front SLS wheel which I just happened to have on hand and it looks marvelous !! The wheel hub was repainted with Rustoleum Aluminum, which is what I had on hand. Close enough to Silver for me ! The original axle and bearings, etc., were thoroughly cleaned, bearings re-greased, external parts derusted and the wheel was put back together. The W1641 axle was swapped out for one that I had that had no rust on it and the brake plate was pretty crusty, so sanded it and polished it by hand....good to go !

Also installed the new fork gaiters and clips as well as new metalastic bushes and related components for the "P" clamps into the top triple tree. The metalastic bush drift tool is a MUST for this job if you don't want to spend more than two minutes on that job, start to finish ! I also, installed the new chain, which is a 103 link chain. I had purchased a 104 link chain, so only needed to get rid of one link which was made easy with the use of my Dremel and cutting wheel. The freshly painted brake torque stay is also back on the bike and that is today's progress ! After these pics were taken, I hand sanded the timing and gearbox outer covers and will post pics of them, nice and shiny tomorrow :bigt

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tridentman

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/23/17 2:38 am

Is that your Trident in the background, Jon?

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/23/17 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tridentman
Is that your Trident in the background, Jon?

Richard, indeed it is !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/23/17 11:24 pm

I got the timing and gearbox covers polished today...what a difference !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/24/17 11:59 am

Lookin' good, Jon :bigt

PS -- Those covers are so trick, they glow in the dark!
Posted By: Dave M

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/24/17 12:08 pm

Good on ya Dr. Jon, another saved. The surgery to remove bondo looks very good.

Have the carbs needed much, jets and such?

I fitted copper RB gaskets to my own machine, it's among the best things I've done. Gone are the daily tappet adjustments, and no oil leaks. Natch, surfaces must be FLAT.

Big fun ahead for you on that great machine!

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/24/17 4:07 pm

Lookin' good, Jon :bigt

PS -- Those covers are so trick, they glow in the dark!

Thanks Kurt !

Originally Posted by Dave M
Good on ya Dr. John, another saved. The surgery to remove bondo looks very good.

Have the carbs needed much, jets and such?

I fitted copper RB gaskets to my own machine, it's among the best things I've done. Gone are the daily tappet adjustments, and no oil leaks. Natch, surfaces must be FLAT.

Big fun ahead for you on that great machine!

Thanks Dave. I haven't messed with the carbs yet but will be taking them apart soon and giving them a good clean and all that good stuff. Good tip about the RB gaskets, thanks !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/29/17 4:40 pm

Test fitting the coils to the frame. I found a set of coils with the 99-1052 clips. With the standard spacers, they cause the largest part of the coils to contact the gas tank recesses. This is with the 2.5 gallon U.S. spec tank. I like this setup though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/30/17 12:08 pm

Wow you have been busy it's looking great! Frame looks so much better. Engine clean up well too. Glad it's working out for you.
Red

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/30/17 11:34 pm

Wow you have been busy it's looking great! Frame looks so much better. Engine clean up well too. Glad it's working out for you.
Red

Thanks Red !! It's certainly been fun turning it back into what it was...or almost...what it was when it left the factory. It was pretty rough to start with but really has been a treat to work on cool

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 11/02/17 8:15 pm

Well, not the most exciting thing but I got my new front brake cable installed today. Got it from S&M Motor Co. and it works great !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/09/18 11:39 pm

Jon how is the super project going? Have not seen any post lately. What you have posted is great. Hope all is well.
Red

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/10/18 12:16 am

Jon how is the super project going? Have not seen any post lately. What you have posted is great. Hope all is well.
Red

Hi Red,

No progress to report for the time being as the frigid temps keep me out of my unheated garage in the winter. Not that I don't want to work on it everyday though and it is one of the many things I long to do all day long while at work...which presently it a solid 7 days a week. With that said, I might pull the carbs off this week and get them cleaned up and rebuilt.

I did get in the garage this past Sunday with the temp around 5 degrees, because I got off work early and was tired of being deprived of my shop/garage time....so, I put a new tire of all things, on the rear rim of my 1970 H-D Sportster XLH project. I was going to mount the tire to the front rim but decided one was enough for the day !

I really need to get that garage heated !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/10/18 12:50 pm

Ok. I put heat in workshop a couple of years ago. Yes it is nice.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/21/18 1:15 am

I had an unexpected day off and an unexpected temp of around 40 degrees Fahrenheit, so I decided to take advantage of the situation and got into the garage and started on the removal of the carbs for clearing and rebuild ! I will post the progress pics of the dismantling of the carbs and what they look like internally once I get the specifics of uploading pics from my new phone to my Google one drive and picture hosting site figured out !

On that note, as expected, the carbs need a good cleaning but I have seen much, much worse. With that said, there was a significant amount of water in both carbs. As well, there is a lot of soot in the intake ports and valves.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/21/18 3:23 am

Great progress on the Daytona rescue Jon.
I think I'll bump one up my wish list!
Love the stance on the Trident
cheers
Steve

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/21/18 10:05 pm

Great progress on the Daytona rescue Jon.
I think I'll bump one up my wish list!
Love the stance on the Trident
cheers
Steve

Thank you Steve on both accounts !! Yes, you should definitely put one on your wishlist, this bike has been a joy to work on and it will be great to get it running again, as well as looking like a proper Daytona !

beerchug

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/21/18 10:46 pm

As promised, here are the pics of the carburetor removal and tear down for rebuild. As can be seen, these things are pretty grungy. However, I was somewhat surprised they didn't look worse internally like some others I have been into. I think they will clean up well !

Starting removal. What a PIA as the carbs are so close together, it is a chore to get a wrench on those inside nuts.

[Linked Image]

Carb top off and slide removed. Came out easy enough though. Springs are nice and tight, so I will be reusing them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left carb off. What's left of the water that was in them can be seen well.

[Linked Image]

The main jet is clogged up pretty well. I'm sure the idle circuit doesn't look any better !

[Linked Image]

Speaking of which, it looks like these carbs are original to this bike being first year/early Concentrics with the removable screw in pilot jet. I have never seen these in person up till now. Neat !

[Linked Image]

More evidence of the water that came out of both carbs.

[Linked Image]

Much easier to remove the right hand carburetor now.

[Linked Image]

Perfect use for empty coffee cans, is to store your dismantled Amal carb. One can per carb !

[Linked Image]

Both carbs and intake manifolds removed. Time for some more external top end clean up while the carbs get cleaned and rebuilt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 01/31/18 12:17 am

The carbs are soaking in the carb cleaner. I even purchased another can of Gunk Carburetor Parts Cleaner, to hurry up the process !

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 02/25/18 12:45 am

The carbs are clean and the passageways have been cleared. Right now, the external bits such as the banjo bolts, adjusting screws and float bowl and carb top screws are submerged in Naval Jelly to take the rust off of those parts. Once the derusting is complete, they will go back together and be remounted to the head. Getting closer to start up !!
Posted By: Mark. L

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/13/18 12:03 am

Looking forward to the start up, I'm cleaning up a 71 T100R, nice old original faded out bike, not nearly as much to fix up like you started with, great job getting yours to where its at now, mines kinda on hold, waiting for parts, I was hoping to give it a go April 1st, looks more like closer to the end of the month now to fire mine up

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/17/18 10:25 am

Thanks Mark L. cool

The carbs have been cleaned and reassembled and look amazing. I have everything I need to get them back on the engine, just waiting ( for warmer temps ) to repaint the cylinders before I do. I have more pics to add...just need to get on it !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/18/18 6:59 pm

Yeah, it's been a long winter, a few more parts for me and I should be pouring some fuel in my Daytona, if my kids ever come around, I might be able to try and post some pics

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/18/18 9:18 pm

Jon, sometimes I paint cylinders with brush-on RustOleum BBQ black. The small can goes a long way.

https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/high-heat-brush-on

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/19/18 10:14 pm

Jon, sometimes I paint cylinders with brush-on RustOleum BBQ black. The small can goes a long way.

https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/high-heat-brush-on

Thanks Kurt ! Yes, I am going to paint them with a brush but will be using RustOleum Gloss Black.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/19/18 10:41 pm

Here are the pics of the cleaned and assembled carbs...finally !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/20/18 12:09 am

They look great Jon. I have a couple of Amal you can clean for me too.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/20/18 10:21 pm

They look great Jon. I have a couple of Amal you can clean for me too.

Thanks Red. Oh, and send those carbs my way and we'll work something out. I'll clean carbs for motorcycle parts cool

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/20/18 11:55 pm

Hi Jon, looking good, in pic number 8, what gasket/heat block is that on the carb?

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 2:16 pm

Hi Mark,

Originally Posted by Mark. L
pic number 8, what gasket/heat block is that on the carb?
If you mean the brown thing on the carb., it's the Tufnol spacer that stops heat transfer from the cylinder head to the carb.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 2:26 pm

Hi Jon,

You sure those banjos on the carbs. are correct? Aiui, they should be metal with two pipe inlets (135 or 180 degrees apart)? That way, you can also join the banjos together, so one fuel tap (main or reserve) can feed both carbs.

Regards,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 3:26 pm

Yep, that brown thing on the carb, I knew what it was for, just didn't know what kind, I've never seen one like that

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 7:06 pm

I use 1/4" thick phenolic (Tufnol?) spacers on my carbs, cured the hot re-start problem on my BSA. Got them from a forum sponsor. Thicker ones, 1/2" 3/4" 1" etc, are available from a UK supplier (can't recall the name at the moment), and others. I recall an old guy machinist was making and selling them on e-bay, pretty much any thickness you wanted. Using the 1/4" spacers I didn't have to switch to longer carb mounting studs.

I tried fiber spacers in the past, they tended to fall apart. From what I've read, Tufnol is fuel and oil resistant.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 10:41 pm

Hi Jon, looking good, in pic number 8, what gasket/heat block is that on the carb?

Hi Mark,

That particular insulating block is part number E2968 and an 1/8" thick. I got them from British Only.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 10:49 pm

Hi Jon,

You sure those banjos on the carbs. are correct?

Hi Stuart,

No, I wasn't sure. They were the ones on the carbs and even in the 1968 parts book, that is what is shown. Of course, I was wondering why they didn't have the dual outlet banjos and was thinking about posing the question...but you beat me to it ! Anyway, I have the metal dual line banjos on hand and will use them for final assembly. Thanks for confirming.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/21/18 11:14 pm

[quote=Mark. L]Hi Jon, looking good, in pic number 8, what gasket/heat block is that on the carb?

Hi Mark,

That particular insulating block is part number E2968 and an 1/8" thick. I got them from British Only.

I thought those were all brown, in your pic it looks like it's sitting on something white

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/22/18 11:36 am

I thought those were all brown, in your pic it looks like it's sitting on something white

They are one piece but yes, the inner part is a different color and they may be a mix with fiber in the middle. I don't know, I've never used brand new phenolic spacers, only the fiber type until now, so maybe this is what they have always looked like when new ?

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/22/18 12:22 pm

Thanks Jon, it'll be a first for me also, I ordered some for my Daytona

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/22/18 8:04 pm

Hi Jon,

banjos on the carbs

They were the ones on the carbs and even in the 1968 parts book, that is what is shown.

grin 'Same picture' trap ... the banjos don't have a separate "Ref. No.", they're part of the "Petrol pipe", which has a different part # for each version, because the tanks and taps are different:-

. US-market T100R and T100C had the 2.5-US-gallon (2-Imperial-gallon) tank with separate main and reserve taps, so:-

.. T100R has one pipe from each tap to a dual-inlet banjo on each carb., the other inlet on each banjo is joined together, so each tap can feed both carbs.;

.. T100C has one pipe from each tap to a dual-inlet banjo on the single carb.

. 'UK & General Export' T100T, T100S and T90 had the 3-(Imperial)- gallon tank with a single combined main-'n'-reserve tap, so:-

.. T100T has one pipe from the tap to a dual-inlet banjo on the drive-side carb. and another pipe from the other drive-side banjo inlet to a single-inlet banjo on the timing-side carb.;

.. T100S and T90 just have the one pipe from the tap to a single-inlet banjo.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/22/18 8:20 pm

Hi Kurt

phenolic (Tufnol?) spacers
Thicker ones, 1/2" 3/4" 1" etc, are available from a UK supplier (can't recall the name at the moment),

Surrey Cycles? Certainly they have (had?) them.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/22/18 9:26 pm

Hi Kurt

phenolic (Tufnol?) spacers
Thicker ones, 1/2" 3/4" 1" etc, are available from a UK supplier (can't recall the name at the moment),

Surrey Cycles? Certainly they have (had?) them.

Hth.

Regards,

Thanks, Stuart -- that's them!

https://surreycycles.com/product/tufnel-spacers/

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/24/18 11:39 pm

Found these in my stash today.

[Linked Image]

And, into the cleaner you go !

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/25/18 12:05 am

We cant get that gunk in a can over here in Canada, about the best we have is a good nite of drinkin then piss on our parts in the morning.....

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/25/18 11:32 am

Jon, do you wear a HAZ MAT suit when anywhere near that GUNK? grin

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/25/18 3:19 pm

Jon, do you wear a HAZ MAT suit when anywhere near that GUNK? grin

No Kurt, just rubber gloves :bigt

I have this Gunk and another 1 gallon can of Berryman's. I think the GUNK might be a tad bit better.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/25/18 11:40 pm

I repainted the cylinders this weekend and also started polishing the rocker box covers. They have come quite a ways but still have a ways to go. And yes, I cleaned up the over spray with paint thinner :bigt

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HughdeMann

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/26/18 12:52 am

Jon, I've found that a large roll of aluminum foil is a better masking than tape. You can form it around things, and it will stay put. It covers a larger area, so no cleanup. Usually.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/26/18 10:38 am

Originally Posted by HughdeMann
Jon, I've found that a large roll of aluminum foil is a better masking than tape. You can form it around things, and it will stay put. It covers a larger area, so no cleanup. Usually.

Thanks, I may give that a go for another time.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/26/18 8:41 pm

Jon it looks great. The before and after picture will be a shock. Keep up the good work.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/26/18 10:32 pm

Hey Jon, I thought you were waiting till it warmed up... man, it's looking good tho

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/26/18 11:42 pm

Jon it looks great. The before and after picture will be a shock. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Red. Even now, it is hard to believe this is the same machine !

Hey Jon, I thought you were waiting till it warmed up... man, it's looking good tho

Hi Mark....it warmed up a little and above all else, I just couldn't wait ! In years past, I have waited and then find when the next snowfall comes in the late fall that I didn't take advantage of every opportunity to get bike things done. No more ! In the past two or three year, I've completed more projects than I did in the previous 10 to 20 combined. My goal is to have this Daytona road ready by June :bigt beerchug
Posted By: Triless

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/27/18 7:24 am

Nice work ! Must have been some regret letting that one go !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/27/18 8:10 am

Looking forward to seeing the bike in June, any idea for paint color?
Hey Nick L, That's quite the transformation on that one

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/27/18 12:06 pm

Wow Nick, very nice. It certainly did have quite the transformation !

Looking forward to seeing the bike in June, any idea for paint color?
Hey Nick L, That's quite the transformation on that one

Mark,

I am leaning toward blue with a silver stripe down the center. I have seen a couple of different shades I like and Honda cars seem to have the best colors. I saw a CRX a few weeks ago in this color and knew it was the one immediately. Here's what I'm thinking :

[img]https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d...ZW50LzIwMTIvMTEvMjAxMy1ob25kYS1jcnouanBn[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/27/18 1:06 pm

I like it, the silver and that blue, I think will look good on there

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 03/27/18 3:43 pm

Nice job Nick L.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 12:33 am

I got the carb manifolds on today as well as the new Rocker Box Inspection Cap Locking Springs. With the springs, I found that to make them work correctly, I needed to use a hammer and drift to get them into the position seen in the pictures. I also installed the new inspection cap fiber washers. I was going to mount the carbs today as well but the behind the scenes fiascoes taking place to make this all happen necessitated I finish up and mount them tomorrow ! So anyway, here is the progress from today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tridentman

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 12:53 am

Probably a trick of the photography but it looks as if the springs are bearing on the fibre washer rather than on the serrations of the inspection cap?
HTH

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Tridentman
Probably a trick of the photography but it looks as if the springs are bearing on the fibre washer rather than on the serrations of the inspection cap?
HTH

Hi Richard,

No, they are in the correct position and clicking with the inspection caps as they are supposed to be.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 8:11 am

Hi,

Originally Posted by NickL
You'll stand a better chance of not loosing those caps if you use o-rings rather than the fibre washers.

... although that might depend on the thickness of the the O-rings. Years ago, before I aware of a thickness issue, the O-rings I was sold were thin and useless at keeping the caps, I had better luck with fibre washers after I discovered that's what Triumph fitted originally.

Hth.

Regards,
Posted By: triton thrasher

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 8:35 am

I’ve found that O-rings are the answer to the lost cap problem. O-rings that looked about right, picked from a box of assorted O-rings.

I’ve done a lot of miles and I recommend you do not fit those stupid fibre washers.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by triton thrasher
I’ve found that O-rings are the answer to the lost cap problem. O-rings that looked about right, picked from a box of assorted O-rings.

I’ve done a lot of miles and I recommend you do not fit those stupid fibre washers.

I thought about using o-rings but had these washers on hand so put them to use. If I lose a cap, I'll get some o-rings. I've got several extra caps to replace one if need be. Thanks for the advice.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 04/02/18 10:42 pm

Got the carbs back on today as planned. Nice shiny new blanking plugs for the choke cable holes too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/08/18 1:20 am

Apologize for the long overdue update but was finally able to start back on the T100R today. I decided to have a look at the points and advance unit and glad I did. This bike should not have this type of advance unit in it !!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.......and also, low and behold, there is a hole with the broken end of a points pillar bolt broken off in the case.

[Linked Image]

So, after removing the points plate and auto advance unit, it is time to get to work. After carefully drilling through the broken stud, I was able to tap in an extractor.

[Linked Image]

Steady as she goes.

[Linked Image]

Remnants of Pillar Bolt removed....wheeeew

[Linked Image]

All Clear !

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/08/18 1:36 am

Hey Dr. Jon, that was a fine bit of surgery you did removing that bolt.....

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/08/18 3:22 pm

Thanks Mark ! Now, to look through my stash and see if I can find a decent 12 degree AA unit. I do have a Pazon ignition for it but am leaning toward points for initial startup and running right now.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/08/18 4:11 pm

I'm putting a Pazon in my 71 T100R, I was hoping to have the bike on the road about a month ago, but some other non bike related issues happened, what about clutch adjustments, I have new plates and springs and have it pretty much straight, just how much can it be rode without the primary put back on if I want to do some tweaking to the clutch
Posted By: TBolt72

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/08/18 6:12 pm

Thanks Mark ! Now, to look through my stash and see if I can find a decent 12 degree AA unit. I do have a Pazon ignition for it but am leaning toward points for initial startup and running right now.

Ive got a drawer full of advance units. Let me see if I can find one for you.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/09/18 1:19 am

Originally Posted by TBolt72
[quote=Jon W. Whitley]

Ive got a drawer full of advance units. Let me see if I can find one for you.

Wow, that's awesome TBolt72 ! I have one in hand and the cam is badly pitted.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/09/18 11:32 pm

Cleaned up and installed new oil seal E4568. Didn't have to order one, as I just happened to have a few on hand !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TBolt72

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/10/18 1:16 am

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

$20 plus shipping g.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/11/18 10:16 am

Originally Posted by TBolt72
[Linked Image]

$20 plus shipping g.

Thanks for looking for the advance unit and posting the pics TBolt72. I have found a decent one in my stash.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/29/18 5:08 pm

Jon Glad to see things are still moving forward. It looks good.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/29/18 5:30 pm

Thanks Red. I am working on the gas tank now as well as the oil tank and side cover. I should have the AA unit installed in the next day or two.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 07/31/18 12:49 pm

Sure is looking good!

BSA harness out in today's post...

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/01/18 10:04 am

Sure is looking good!

BSA harness out in today's post...

Thank you x 2 Paul !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/01/18 2:23 pm

Missed the collection time at my neighborhood drop off yesterday, so you'll likely receive it Saturday.

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/02/18 2:27 pm

Missed the collection time at my neighborhood drop off yesterday, so you'll likely receive it Saturday.

No Worries, Saturday is just fine !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 08/05/18 11:08 pm

Proper 12 degree AAU installed as well as the points plate. This was done after bringing the assembly to 38 degrees BTDC, confirmed with both valves closed on RH cylinder, pointer on primary cover pointing to line on alternator rotor aaand timing tool dropped in slot in crankshaft located at the timing plug at the rear of the cylinders.

Getting closer !!

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/09/18 3:46 pm

Slowly but surely getting things done. Next task is the oil tank.

Gas tank with base coat of silver.

[Linked Image]

Side cover/toolbox stripped and getting ready for some filler to be applied. I hammered most of the deep gash/dent out from the backside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A PO had cut the middle of the toolbox out with snips or something facepalm I just used my Dremel to clean up the jagged edges and leave it be.

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/13/18 11:32 pm

I got the oil tank stripped the other day I got some more work done today on both the side cover and oil tank.

Here is the oil tank from this bike and what I have to work with. It has had a rough life !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stripped of paint

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Primer applied while it waits for the Bondo work

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/13/18 11:40 pm

Got the Bondo applied. There are two layers applied so far to the large dent on the oil tank and I will do another layer on it tomorrow for good measure. There is quite a bit of sanding that has been done up to this point !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/14/18 11:57 am

Lookin' good, Jon! The joys of salvaging these old bikes, bit by bit.

Re. Bondo, maybe you do this already ... to cut down on sanding, I use a SurForm file before the Bondo is fully hardened, to shave down the excess before sanding. HTH smile

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/14/18 1:46 pm

Yes Jon it looking good I know it has not been easy. Red

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/14/18 2:13 pm

Lookin' good, Jon! The joys of salvaging these old bikes, bit by bit.

Re. Bondo, maybe you do this already ... to cut down on sanding, I use a SurForm file before the Bondo is fully hardened, to shave down the excess before sanding. HTH smile

Thanks Kurt ! I do have the files to cut the Bondo down but just using 80 grit on it for this job for starters.

Yes Jon it looking good I know it has not been easy. Red

Thanks Red. Not easy like you say but I'm enjoying it !

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/17/18 12:32 am

Coating the oil tank with sandable filler primer.

[Linked Image]

Side cover first coat of self-etching primer.

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 09/24/18 7:34 am

Hi Jon,

Post 713091.

Test fitting the coils to the frame. I found a set of coils with the 99-1052 clips. With the standard spacers, they cause the largest part of the coils to contact the gas tank recesses. This is with the 2.5 gallon U.S. spec tank. I like this setup though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'Fraid I've only just seen this post; frown advance apologies if you've solved the problem already.

An educated guess says the coils in your pictures are Lucas 17M12 or pattern? When I was building up my T100, I also encountered problems fitting a US-market tank over 'em. frown Afaict, the problem is - certainly on late-1960's US-market tanks - Triumph sized the "gas tank recesses" for the "Siba 32,000" coils listed in the late-1960's parts books; however, while 17M coils appear to have been Lucas's '70-on response, the Lucas coils have the ridge around the terminals end that the Sibas don't appear to have.

That said, I didn't fiddle around too long with a US-market tank; the UK & General Export tank has bigger recesses (the Lucas MA coils are fatter), as well as being an Imperial gallon bigger. Unlike other Triumph ranges, certainly '67-on C-range UK&GE and US tanks don't look dissimilar (unless you have the two side-by-side) so the bigger tank doesn't look obviously out of place on a US-market bike.

standard spacers,

Nevertheless, even with the bigger tank/recesses, I still had fitting problems with what were then being peddled by the trade as "standard" spacers. facepalm In the end, I fiddled around under the tank for a ridiculously-long time (would've been quicker to take the engine out, measure and refit the engine cool ) to calculate the length of spacers that gave the same clearance between frame and coils and between coils and tank. This might also be an option with your bike's tank?

Btw, if the coils in your pictures are Lucas 17M12 or pattern, the "coil clips" in your picture aren't 99-1052. 99-1052 are sized for the fatter MA coils and, when used with the smaller 17M coils, the gap allows for some anti-vibe padding between coil and clip. Not sure what those similar-looking clips that actually fit 17M coils are, they weren't used on '70 UK&GE bikes with '70-on 17M coils; the British Cub parts company Greystone Enterprises sell 'em, so it's possible they were originally intended for mounting 17M coils on Cubs?

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 1968 Triumph T100R Daytona 500 - Super Project - 10/14/18 11:26 pm

I haven't been neglecting the Daytona and am still working the bodywork and painting of the sheet metal. Still need to do more work on all pieces and will post pics with the completed progress !!
© 2019 Britbike forum