Britbike forum

problem starting 850

Posted By: barncobob

problem starting 850 - 09/02/18 6:04 pm

74, gas on, key to 1st notch,2nd kick starts, idles nicely, astride and ready to ride, click switch to next position, move head lite switch to straight up position, bike dies....reversed all the switchesback to start mode, yes gas is on..and wont start..been trying various choke settings on ,mikuni, no luck,,noyt firing at all, checked fuse by battery, ok..my leg is giving out..

am i missing something,,not even a hint of electrics working,,,should i try starting fluid? HELP the headlite works when i switch it on when not running,,
Posted By: kommando

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/02/18 6:39 pm

Check the ignition switch is supplying 12v to kill switch and kill switch is supplying 12v to ignition circuit.
Posted By: Rohan

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/02/18 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by barncobob
,should i try starting fluid? ,

Also. Yes, give it a shot of starting fluid when it won't start like that.
If it fires right up, you know its in the carb.
If it still sulks, its elsewhere - could even be spark plugs - sooting up ?
Posted By: iansoady

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/03/18 9:29 am

Sounds like a dead battery to me. Or blown fuse, bad connection somewhere or even dead short.
Posted By: Beach

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/03/18 12:12 pm

Thumbs up for dead battery.

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/03/18 3:40 pm

I turn the key on and the lights work fine, could the battery be dead then..

im new to this bike,,,,the kill switch(black rectangula r button on bottom) is it a on/off switch or doesit have to be held in to kill engine..

tried new plugs and start fluid. nothing, its not popping, backfiring or showing any sign of spark..
Posted By: Beach

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/03/18 4:19 pm

Try blowing horn with lights on. If they go out battery is dead. Maybe battery has enough for one but not both. I think you have to hold in kill switch. It open hot lead for ignition.
Posted By: bill50cal

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/05/18 11:45 am

the kill button is a normally closed switch IE it will supply power to the ign. and stop power when pushed. it is also a known issue of failure to close and is a good place to start looking if no spark..
Posted By: Rohan

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/05/18 11:16 pm

Some electronic ignitions switch thenselves off after a time not running, its not that is it ?

You might want to try running power directly to the ignition system, bypass all the switchery and connections,
see if that brings it back to life. By the time you can do that, you'll know the electrical layout too.
Don't ever forget that a stock Commando is positive earth....

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/20/18 5:59 pm

Update..took it to the only guy around here that does British,,turns out the Pazon went bad,,replaced it with Boyer, starts 1st kick now...

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/21/18 5:58 pm

bike runs better than ever,easy start and it got rid of that nagging sputtering between 3500-4500.
Posted By: kommando

Re: problem starting 850 - 09/21/18 6:54 pm

Read there was a recent spate of DOA Pazons caused but a supplier send a bad batch of components.
© 2019 Britbike forum