Britbike forum
Posted By: Old Dave Early Scrambler tank color - 10/06/18 1:36 am
Can you gentlemen tell me what was original color for centre of 1955 scrambler gas tank and how wide was that color band and what was color and width of the thin accent stripe between it and the chrome ? thanks, Dave
Posted By: Boomer Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/06/18 3:24 am
Silver with 1/4" red pin strip. I've been told by my painter that he used a Volkswagon silver that was a close match to the original color.

Bill B...
Posted By: Mebbo Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/06/18 8:48 am
What model scrambler do you have, Dave? I thought BSA only released the Spitfire Scrambler (or whatever its US version was called,) in 1957.
As Bill says, the colour is VW Beetle Silver (“Reflex Silver”). The red is slightly darker than a full red, sometimes a touch of maroon in it. But you could bet the colour from the factory varied somewhat between batches...

Mebbo
Posted By: Old Dave Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/07/18 11:53 pm
its a1965 Gold Star that was a beat up heap with plastic flat track tank when i got it, now have all the bits painted and ready to assemble.
Posted By: Old Dave Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/07/18 11:57 pm
thanks for color info, can you tell me the width of the silver painted top part between the red lines ?
Posted By: Boomer Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/08/18 1:36 am
Originally Posted by Old Dave
its a1965 Gold Star that was a beat up heap with plastic flat track tank when i got it, now have all the bits painted and ready to assemble.

'65 ?, I believe '62 was the last year for Gold Star's although some '62's were sold as '63's. Is it a Catalina or a Clubman stripped for the dirt? The Catalina's had a different color tank, blue but a different shade depending on year and East coast vs West coast. Does the engine number have an "S" or "C" or no letter stamp below the numbers?

Bill B...
Posted By: Old Dave Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/09/18 3:51 am
my mistake Boomer, its not a '65 its a '56
Posted By: Boomer Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/09/18 4:02 pm
Originally Posted by Old Dave
my mistake Boomer, its not a '65 its a '56

Ah, that clears things up. Thanks Dave.

Bill B...
Posted By: Old Dave Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/12/18 2:01 am
so can anyone tell me how wide that silver stripe on top of the tank is ?
Posted By: ToolBox Dave Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/12/18 2:08 am
Old Dave,

On my 1961 GS clubman tank the silver center part is 8.5 inches across measured right over the tank mounting hole. Edge of the red pin stripe to edge of the red pin stripe.
Posted By: Irish Swede Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/12/18 7:05 pm
Old Dave,

Toolbox Dave has given you a great reference point to begin, but check photos of original bikes to determine
if the stripe tapers inward at front and / or rear of the tank.

I am not certain is this is the case with BSA tanks, but it is often the case for Triumphs.

You may need to take photos of the pictures and begin with that 8.5-inch dimension, then use percentage proportioning to
determine the widths of the stripe at the front and rear of the tank. Then, mask for the stripe accordingly.
Posted By: ToolBox Dave Re: Early Scrambler tank color - 10/13/18 2:39 am
Top of the tank at the U measures 8.5 inches and the bottom of the tank at the U measures about 7.35 inches. so I do see a bit of a taper in towards the bottom of the tank only.

Dave
© Britbike forum