Britbike forum
Posted By: Hillbilly bike JAP V twin - 05/04/19 10:22 am
I'm going to start building another bike..Would really like to have a JAP ohv V twin or something similar...Is it actually possible to find a complete old engine without paying a king's ransom...?
Posted By: AngloBike Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 12:40 pm
Are you any good with a file?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/april/allen-millyard-velocette-v-twin/

http://www.llanbikefest.co.uk/ride-with-the-flying-millyard-at-llanbikefest/
Posted By: KC in S.B. Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 4:00 pm
Always wondered what JAP stands for.......... ? I see'em on Morgan's right?
Posted By: Jon W. Whitley Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 4:06 pm
That's very impressive !

Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 4:17 pm
Originally Posted by KC in S.B.
Always wondered what JAP stands for.......... ? I see'em on Morgan's right?

JA Prestwich.....................................I am really looking for a Brit factory made V twin ,not an one of a kind engine..
Posted By: George Kaplan Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
I'm going to start building another bike..Would really like to have a JAP ohv V twin or something similar...Is it actually possible to find a complete old engine without paying a king's ransom...?

An original 20's OHV JAP V twin will be £20k or more. I think a 30's one may be a bit less. However you can buy a new one from Cameron:

http://cameronracingengines.com/#home

Or build a new one yourself using castings from MFC (which is where Cameron buy their castings from, note the casings are un-machined)

http://www.mfcpatterns-castings.co.uk/

John
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 7:53 pm
Way out of my price range....I'll assume that any of the other Brit V twin engines would also be a bit expensive?
Posted By: AngloBike Re: JAP V twin - 05/04/19 8:38 pm
The guy who makes the musket? Ok so not British but sort of?
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 12:07 am
I was thinking more like a BSA V twin...It has to be real vintage......I believe anything will be too pricey for me....Time for plan B
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 12:35 am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: koncretekid Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 1:06 am
I was thinking more like a BSA V twin...It has to be real vintage......I believe anything will be too pricey for me....Time for plan B

I'm with you, but I would settle for a DBD34 motor - - or similar. I know of some old vintage Triumphs that need some competition!
Tom
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 1:23 pm
This project is a 1930's look hot rod bike....tall skinny tires, flat side tank and for sure a vintage looking V twin...Harley and Indian flat heads are quite expensive and realistically it seems any Brit V twins are even more expensive..An Iron head Sportster engine has the look with tall narrow cylinders and pushrod tubes, and a complete bike with title can be had for $ 2000...But only if nothing else is available...
Posted By: Tridentman Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 2:15 pm
Growing up in my early motorcycling years in UK in the early/mid 1960s no one wanted "old" bikes.
Pre war bikes including V twins were sold for very low prices--- you could get one for 25 GBP--about $40.
I remember in 1963 I bought a Vincent Black Shadow for 50 GBP--about $70!
Then as an impoverished student I sold it 6 months later for the same price in order to eat!
But that was 50+ years ago and things have changed a lot.
If you can get an iron head Sportster engine for $2K and are happy with that as the basis for you special then my advice would be to go for it.
I was at an AMCA swap meet in PA last weekend and the prices for that sort of stuff were eye watering.
Best of luck with the project!
Posted By: George Kaplan Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 2:53 pm
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Growing up in my early motorcycling years in UK in the early/mid 1960s no one wanted "old" bikes.
Pre war bikes including V twins were sold for very low prices--- you could get one for 25 GBP--about $40.
I remember in 1963 I bought a Vincent Black Shadow for 50 GBP--about $70!

If only one could have hindsight! A now deceased biking acquaintance relaid a similar story to me where he turned down a Series A Rapide that was in poor condition in the 1960's for the sum of £40.

John
Posted By: Tridentman Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 4:12 pm
Yes--good stuff hindsight!--very rarely wrong IME!
Posted By: J. Charles Smith Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 9:04 pm
Didn't JAP engines power machines other than motorcycles? Maybe you can find one cheaper at a lawnmower or cement mixer meet!
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 9:38 pm
Originally Posted by J. Charles Smith
Didn't JAP engines power machines other than motorcycles? Maybe you can find one cheaper at a lawnmower or cement mixer meet!

A JAP V twin powering a lawnmower? Ok.... crazy

JAP did make WW1 aircraft engines like this air cooled V8 in a very unique vehicle, a true internal combustion experience and not the typical overdone bloated car with an aircraft engine.This car is so me....I might just build one of my own.

Cyclops

Posted By: George Kaplan Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 9:55 pm
The water cooled JAP engine in Morgans are not as pricy as, say a KTOR or JTOR. I know of someone who took a water cooled bottom end and put a pair of Matchless top ends on it.

John
Posted By: Tridentman Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 10:35 pm
WOW!!!--HB--that is quite a car.
Just right for an individualist---that includes I think all Brit bikers!
Posted By: Jon W. Whitley Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 10:50 pm

JAP did make WW1 aircraft engines like this air cooled V8 in a very unique vehicle, a true internal combustion experience and not the typical overdone bloated car with an aircraft engine.This car is so me....I might just build one of my own.

Cyclops

I think that is me too !! I hadn't been considering such a project but I might have to start contemplating such an endeavor...more reasons to spend money...thanks Tony !!

Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/05/19 11:31 pm
While we are off topic, I built this car from tubing and a pile of parts about 5 years ago, 1930's Ford running gear and other parts from Jeeps and Toyota....The body is hanging on the wall in the background..

[Linked Image]

A few months later,more progress and a 70 T120 is getting built at the same time...Took about 8 months from start to finish working at it part time. My race bike rider has the car now...It just sits ....

[Linked Image]

I need to find an unusual engine..A V-8 because this is America... grin

And this is in my opinion the absolute essence of internal combustion...Flames, sparks, smoke and noise, a literal beast...

Posted By: Nick H The Beast of Turin - 05/05/19 11:55 pm
Posted By: Lannis Re: The Beast of Turin - 05/06/19 3:03 am
Who would DARE drive that thing at anywhere near the speed that that motor would push it?

Looked like it was going 60 MPH with the engine barely off idle ....

Lannis
Posted By: franko Re: JAP V twin - 05/06/19 3:06 am
How about this? Link
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rohan Re: JAP V twin - 05/06/19 6:00 am
Old Hens have a pretty mild output, but make charming old vintage bikes. ??
3 speed crash box, no front brake, foot clutch and wheelbarrow handlebars.
That one's had the gearbox cut off, which will cause all sorts of headaches..
Unless you put it in an aeroplane = eeeek !

Hush my mouth, but have you considered something like a Sportster or a Buell in a featherbed.
Someone locally here was doing a thriving business turning out 'Sportons', at quite reasonable prices.
(Old sportsters don't go for a great deal).
And they can be tweaked to go ...
Put JAP decals on the tank, most punters won't know the difference ??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: franko Re: JAP V twin - 05/06/19 10:59 am
In the Ebay ad for this motor Link He alludes to trans cases being available.
The bike you posted is a nice looker. How does it run and handle?
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/06/19 11:11 am
Originally Posted by Lannis
Who would DARE drive that thing at anywhere near the speed that that motor would push it?

Lannis

WW1 aircraft engines made power at low RPM's ,2000 or so...Might be able to rev it briefly to 3000 for car use..So 60 mph may only be 1500 rpm..I think they had about 150 hp but lots of torque from the relatively large displacement

I had a 97 tube frame Buell for a few years and sold it to Kevin Roberts on this site...An Evo Sportster powered Norton frame is a nice looking piece but it's just not what I'm looking for.. A well tuned 1200 Sportster can make near 100 HP at the rear wheels with an equal amount of torque...That would overwhelm the wideline frame with skinny tires and drum brakes..
I'm still dicking around with building a Sportster LSR bike..Using a Buell Firebolt xb9r short stoke 990 cc engine with 883 cylinders to fit into the 750 pushrod class..I believe a combo like this can make XR750 HP , about 85-90 RWHP...It would be formidable in the 750 modified production class
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/06/19 11:38 pm

Lannis

100 mph at 1000rpm, they say.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 12:20 am
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

Lannis

100 mph at 1000rpm, they say.

The 270 cube V8 engine in Glenn Curtiss's 1907 136 MPH "fastest man on earth" bike was rated for [email protected] rpm...Probably used more rpm though ,modern thinking is about 60 HP to push that lump that fast on hard packed sand.....So primitive, so fast, I want to ride it..I know Kevin does, LOL

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Rohan Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 1:08 am
Originally Posted by franko
In the Ebay ad for this motor He alludes to trans cases being available.
The bike you posted is a nice looker. How does it run and handle?

That would require that Hen motor to have the gearbox WELDED to the cases.
Getting it accurately aligned is no trivial matter, let alone not distorted from welding.
No job for the amateur.

Only seen Sportons in action from along for the ride.
They seem lively, but widelines are not the most comfortable of rides, ?
mine (project) feels like it splays your knees too wide
Posted By: Rohan Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 1:16 am
WW1 aircraft engines made power at low RPM's ,2000 or so...

The engine in a WW1 Sopwith Camel was max revs at 900 rpms.
Big 9 cylinder rotary radial. 27 litres of it. (and that was small compared to most).
Full throttle all the time, ground handling was by blipping the kill switch.

The engine did spin with the propeller though.
And weighed more than the airframe !
Reportedly if you let go of the stick, the airframe would do a lightning fast flick turn.
Useful in combat, if you could catch it.
Killed more pilots in training than in combat...

The cranks in the inline engines didn't yet have counterweights, ?
so torsional oscillations would kill them - 3000 rpm is WELL beyond self-destruct.

We diverge...
Posted By: gunner Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 7:04 am
There's a BSA V twin engine for sale in Australia for $6k aud, see This Link. Its a side valve so may not fit the bill exactly but at least its british and the right era.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 11:55 am
Originally Posted by Rohan
WW1 aircraft engines made power at low RPM's ,2000 or so...

The engine in a WW1 Sopwith Camel was max revs at 900 rpms.
Big 9 cylinder rotary radial. 27 litres of it. (and that was small compared to most).
Full throttle all the time, ground handling was by blipping the kill switch.

The engine did spin with the propeller though.
And weighed more than the airframe !
Reportedly if you let go of the stick, the airframe would do a lightning fast flick turn.
Useful in combat, if you could catch it.
Killed more pilots in training than in combat...

The cranks in the inline engines didn't yet have counterweights, ?
so torsional oscillations would kill them - 3000 rpm is WELL beyond self-destruct.

We diverge...

Many of WW1 aircraft engines were not rotaries, and later in the war the power limited and poor fuel consumption rotaries were increasingly replaced by liquid cooled inline and V engines, with rated power at 1600-2000 RPM..
Posted By: quinten Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 12:27 pm

1930 Jap 500 single ... in Belgium

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C907937

Posted By: linker48x Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 7:36 pm
So I got stalled out in this thread at the car you built, I enjoyed seeing it, and it brought back a ton of memories. Rear engined flattie, body that looks a bit like a lakester. Nice. Lakesters were some of the first post-WWII LSR hot rods, body a drop tank from a P-38, tube frame, rear engined, early ones had flatheads like all other early 50's hot rods, later ones had big engines. Folks took them out to Muroc and El Mirage and Bonneville. Some folks also drag raced them, although that wasn't really what they were intended for. Here is a pic and write up of one of the most famous, https://silodrome.com/so-cal-speed-shop-special-belly-tank-racer/ (over-restored, if you ask me, it never looked that good on the salt or the dry lakes) and here is another one that may or may not be original, but has interesting background info in the writeup. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1940s-bellytank-lakester-bellytank-lakester/

All lakesters are very similar mechanically, with basically two big layout option decisions -- 1. fold the driver up completely inside, with plexiglass windows forward (relatively rare), or have the driver's head sticking out of the bodywork (maybe covered, like the So-Cal car), which was much more common, and after the mid-50's backed with a stout roll bar -- and 2. rigid rear axle - no suspension--or home brewed swing arm suspension made from a Halibrand center section. By the way, not criticizing, but yours has noticeably very small frame rails, smaller than typical for these things, and no roll bar, not sure that would pass muster with SCTA but whatever.

I was at Bonneville as a kid with my Dad, in 1959, 1960, and 1961, and one of those years a couple guys from our hometown ran one with a blown, fuel burning 392 hemi. Went about 220 if I remember correctly. Unfortunately they couldn't resist the temptation of tipping the bottle too far, and kerblam, end of 392, and no record run. Another year they ran another period LSR hotrod, a chopped and streamlined 53 Studebaker fuel coupe with a blown fuel hemi in it, that went maybe a little closer to 230. (He went faster ayear later: "So lets go to Bonneville in ‘62 to see what Lester captured for us. Listed in that years Program we find a John W. Edmunds entry. His car was a radically chopped Stude Coupe that was powered by a monster 455" Chrysler and was after the SanChez-Callahan-Lacosta record of 230.587 mph set in 1962. At the end of the week John’s car was now known as the Edmunds-Cagle-Alpenfels entry and went home with a new Class A Comp Coupe record of 232.784 mph with Mr. Edmunds doing the shoeing. " https://ahrf.com/blogs/jims-news/posts/diggin-out-some-old-stuff

And flatheads, a closely related hot rod subject from the early 50's. My dad had a nearly 300 inch Merc (bored and stroked), Offy heads, Edelbrock manifold, 3 Stromberg 97's, "ported and relieved" (in the words of the Beach Boys in "Little Deuce Coupe"), and he had that engine in several different mid-50's hot rods. It made good power, but wow, did it run hot!! Sort of uncivilized and marginal, something like an 11-1/2:1 Triumph twin.

And of course, you can't talk lakesters, or early hot rods of any kind, without talking army surplus stores. Half the race parts on hot rods of the day were surplus airplane parts from that era--My dad and Ibuilt a couple race cars in the 60's that had B-24 seats, aircraft web safety belts, carb linkage with ball joints from surplus aircraft, surplus aluminum fuel tanks, etc. etc. I remember we spent a fair amount of time in surplus stores looking for parts, and since I was a kid I perhaps remember most clearly the strong disagreeable smell of military waterproofing and the huge random piles of stuff , but there were useable parts, jewels as it were, in those piles too. Anyway, your car triggered a ton of memories, thanks!

Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 8:05 pm
I believe the car I built is the only Lakester with a rear suspension...This photo during early construction show the high arch Ford Model A spring and the short driveshaft I fabricated from 1947 Willys Jeep parts...This era Ford used an enclosed torque tube, I converted to to an "open" shaft with home made seal holders etc.The engine is a 1940 V-60. meaning 60 rated HP from a 136 cubic inch V8. The majority of Fords used a 221-239 cubic inch flathead..

[Linked Image]

A full house Ford Flathead street engine like your father's would make about 200 HP at 5500 rpm..
Posted By: reverb Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 10:22 pm
...Tony; you had luck with the gal that you have...just saying
Posted By: Rohan Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 10:24 pm

Many of WW1 aircraft engines were not rotaries, and later in the war the power limited and poor fuel consumption rotaries were increasingly replaced by liquid cooled inline and V engines, with rated power at 1600-2000 RPM..

Indeed. Engine development increased in leaps and bounds during the war.
But, these engines are HUGE, and weighty = getting them into a bike could be a challenge !!
Posted By: NickL Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 11:07 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_Viper
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/07/19 11:09 pm
Yes, huge but early ones can be smaller.. Curtiss OX5 V8 for example has about 100 hp, ,400 something cubic inches ,is liquid cooled and weighs less than 500 pounds...About the same as typical car V8.. but out of my price range...
It's obvious there will be no JAP engines for me...Geez, (kicking dirt), I can't have nothing nice....
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 4:23 am
[So primitive, so fast, I want to ride it..I know Kevin does, LOL

[Linked Image]

i would ride that machine in a heartbeat, as fast as it would be willing to go.

on any surface. anywhere.

what a gift that would be.
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 4:29 am
i'd improve the fucked-up universal joints first, though.
Posted By: quinten Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 3:13 pm
It's obvious there will be no JAP engines for me...Geez, (kicking dirt), I can't have nothing nice....

Shucks Billy , I fellas gotta have his dreams .
you never know . .. now that the words out , one may find you .

Jap engines were used by loads of
different french motorcycle manufacturers
during the inter war years .

Hows your french ?
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 4:23 pm
Originally Posted by quinten

Shucks Billy , I fellas gotta have his dreams .
you never know . .. now that the words out , one may find you .

Jap engines were used by loads of
different french motorcycle manufacturers
during the inter war years .

Hows your french ?

My French is non buono....I used to date a French woman who drove a Citroen ...A very smooth ride....The car also rode smoothly .....
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 6:55 pm
part of the problem is that everybody else wants one too

[Linked Image]
Posted By: quinten Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 7:58 pm
part of the problem is that everybody else wants one too

Youre right .
a barn find engine in france is likely to carry a similar premium.
.. looking "on the continent" just enlarges the possible source area .

Hell , even i want one now .
But Unless one falls in my lap
i shall remain ... un spectateur
Posted By: linker48x Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 10:03 pm

I believe the car I built is the only Lakester with a rear suspension...This photo during early construction show the high arch Ford Model A spring and the short driveshaft I fabricated from 1947 Willys Jeep parts...This era Ford used an enclosed torque tube, I converted to to an "open" shaft with home made seal holders etc.The engine is a 1940 V-60. meaning 60 rated HP from a 136 cubic inch V8. The majority of Fords used a 221-239 cubic inch flathead..

[Linked Image]

A full house Ford Flathead street engine like your father's would make about 200 HP at 5500 rpm..

Yeah, I thought that was a V-8 60, a bit smaller package that an F85, the bigger version 239 ci flatty. Guys ran those V8-60's in midgets in the early days, up to the 60's, maybe. They ran hot too. Midgets had an amazing range of engines back in the day, 110 Offies, of course, and V-8 60's that worked best on high traction dirt surfaces, and Drakes, those water jacketed Harley knuckle twins, that worked on slick wet surfaces, Fergies, 4 cylinder race engines that originated as Ferguson Ford tractor engines, on and on, to some really oddball stuff. Later, guys raced half a Chevy small block V4, Chevy II inline 4's, Ford Falcon sixes, on up to the present where there is still a lot of innovation in engine choice.

As you say, I never saw a lakester with rear suspension that wasn't a one-off swingarm. I assumed people were concerned with undue driveshaft angulation from the short reach. John Edmunds, the guy from my town, Fresno, that ran the lakester, and the 53 Stude (and a rear engined 27 T with a bullet nose--"modified roadster")-- also drove a guy named Ted Key's lakester, which had swingarm suspension. Ted went through the lights at El Mirage and jumped off the throttle, the thing sort of stink-bugged up and went to too much positive camber, got sideways and barrel rolled at speed, and he got hurt, so John drove that too, as I recollect. Ted didn't put straps on the axles to limit how far down they would droop. Not unlike a VW or a Corvair. Long ago memories, again, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Our trips out to Bonneville were quite memorable to a kid, even an old kid like me. "World's Fastest Indian" had me laughing all the way through, it truly captured the flavor of the times. Guys with cars and bikes spread out around the central swimming pool in that court-like old motel in Wendover, guys in coffee shops out in the desert staring at you when you came in, all that funny stuff.

2006, the first year we roadraced AHRMA at Miller, I went back to the Salt for the first time since 1961, and I swear, there were cars and drivers there that I had last seen as a 12 year old, it's an interesting and tradition bound form of racing. And there was none of the frenetic action to make the next race, things....moved....slowly...in the pits. I liked the atmosphere, a whole different vibe. Nice car, very cool that you built a lakester.

Now back to airplane engines in unlikely one-off motorcycles. And I too would love to throw a leg over that V-8 Curtiss at Daytona Beach...If I knew first that I'd survive.
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/08/19 10:43 pm
Originally Posted by linker48x

Now back to airplane engines in unlikely one-off motorcycles. And I too would love to throw a leg over that V-8 Curtiss at Daytona Beach...If I knew first that I'd survive.

nobody lives forever. choose your ending.

i want my last ten seconds of life to be at 140 mph.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/09/19 12:25 am

An airplane crash? LOL
Posted By: Tridentman Re: JAP V twin - 05/09/19 1:07 am
HB---be wary of realizing your dream.
If you realize your dream---what are you going to dream about?
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/09/19 10:52 am
Originally Posted by Tridentman
HB---be wary of realizing your dream.
If you realize your dream---what are you going to dream about?

Not all my dreams are bikes, lol...My house has a drive in basement shop, about 1200 sq ft..But the entrance door is only 44 inches wide...My wife and I just labored for two days cutting the concrete block and framing in and fabricating a wider 70 inch set of doors...I have always wanted to build a 544 or 122 Volvo with small V8...That time is now or never...
Posted By: linker48x Re: JAP V twin - 05/13/19 10:03 pm

Well, some time ago, I fell off at Daytona in the middle of turn 3 at the top of the banking, top gear, about 130, bounced and tumbled 150 yards down the track, and all the way down the banking onto the apron, and it's not all it's cracked up to be. I raced for 50 years before I quit last year, I have a pretty good idea what that sort of event is like, and that wasn't the only time I have fallen off. With all due respect, I vote for dying in bed, peacefully and happily.

Crashing at that speed is a failure. You don't want to go out a failure.

On the other hand, I've spent a lot of time above 150, and it's very fun, assuming you stay upright. Gets all your attention, makes you feel alive.

Now a 122 with a small block in it, that will catch your attention! sounds fun. Can you get it in the door?
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/14/19 12:49 am
lol

ive never gone down faster than 110.

youve got me there
Posted By: George Kaplan Re: JAP V twin - 05/14/19 7:00 am
This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent and seeing as someone said:

Now back to airplane engines in unlikely one-off motorcycles.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Flying Millyard? Two Pratt & Whitney R1340 aircraft cylinders built into a bespoke 5 litre vee twin. The cylinders are a thing of beauty.

John
Posted By: Dibnah Re: JAP V twin - 05/19/19 7:03 pm
A man of HB's abilities should be able to cut two cylinders off a V8 and fabricate the rest.
Posted By: AngloBike Re: JAP V twin - 05/19/19 7:15 pm
He's making another v twin at the moment.
Scary thing is that he posts pictures as he works and knocks up a set of cases quicker than I change a chain.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/19/19 7:18 pm
Originally Posted by Dibnah
A man of HB's abilities should be able to cut two cylinders off a V8 and fabricate the rest.

That's been done before. About 40 years ago a home builder chopped two cylinder off a Chevy V8...He did get it running ok and made a few but that's as far as it went..To be honest I feel more comfortable modifying than building an engine from scratch as I lack the tools and an extensive machinist skills...
Posted By: kevin Re: JAP V twin - 05/19/19 9:09 pm
remember this guy?

[Linked Image]

full bore nuts.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/20/19 10:35 am
The Chevy V8 conversion is called a Super Vee....

Super Vee
Posted By: Dibnah Re: JAP V twin - 05/20/19 2:49 pm
Not cheap for a batch of prototypes!

Cheapest V twin option that isn't Japanese is probably Moto Guzzi.
Posted By: Hillbilly bike Re: JAP V twin - 05/20/19 3:28 pm
Big bore air cooled late model Harley, Guzzi and Ducati engines are readily available guaranteed to run on Ebay for $1000-$2000...
Posted By: ricochetrider Re: JAP V twin - 05/21/19 12:24 pm

[Linked Image]

That car (if indeed all period bits, as it appears to be) would be the perfect Race Of Gentlemen dragster, Tony... too bad you can't coax it out of your buddy's garage and resurrect it! (you have until Sep/Oct- and there's always next year, the year after that, etc etc etc)
Posted By: franko Re: JAP V twin - 05/29/19 1:29 am
1914 Excelsior V Twin n Ebay
Link
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: old mule Re: JAP V twin - 06/04/19 1:35 am
A Hispano-Suiza aircraft V8 with one bank of cylinders removed was a "outlaw" mile track car at one time, those motors were around, I suppose they are priced into the sky now though.
Clarrie Coombes of the Morgan 3 wheelr club built JAP KTOR motors from scratch in the most primitive mouldy falling down shed you can imagine, with just a big lathe and milling attachment. In the 50s - 60s, it can be done.
Yes lawn mowing machines, water pumps, roto-tillers, generators anything. JAP made them all. And also had the biggest pencil factory in England.
© Britbike forum