Britbike forum

Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt

Posted By: John Simonelli

Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 09/27/13 10:46 am

got home last night and found a puddle of oil that seemed to have leaked from the alt cover on the primary case and the oil tank is now empty . Help !! is this a wet sump . should I drain all the oil and replace.
Posted By: leon bee

Re: Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 09/27/13 5:11 pm

John how long did it sit? Oil can get through the left crank seal and fill up the primary.
Posted By: Doc_dup1

Re: Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 09/27/13 9:27 pm

I had the same thing happen this summer. After sitting for one week,my 68 A65 dumped the entire oil tank into the engine sump. Like a fool, I did not check the tank before taking it out for a ride. After a few miles, there was oil everywhere, and the bike smoked like it was spraying for a bug infestation. We drained the sump and refilled the tank. Took it for a test ride, no problems. Two months have passed and I still haven't found anything that would explain it. Everything is fine now. It seems to have been a one-time thing. It seems that these bikes just like to get your attention every now and then.

Doc
Posted By: Stuart

Re: Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 10/01/13 10:47 am

Hi John,

Originally Posted by leon bee
Oil can get through the left crank seal and fill up the primary.

Engine oil draining down from the tank and filling up the crankcase was my first thought too but, on a '69, that has different oil in the primary and so should be sealed off from the crankcase, I did wonder if the engine oil should be able to work its way through the drive-side main bearing and seal to fill up the primary? If that's what's happened, BSA didn't intend the alternator cover to be this much of an oil seal, hence the incontinence. grin

Originally Posted by John Simonelli
is this a wet sump

Sounds like it. frown

should I drain all the oil

:bigt

and replace.

Imho, yes:-

. If you put different oils in tank and primary, they've contaminated each other in the primary. frown

. Even if you put the same oil in tank and primary, confused there's likely to have been bits of odd debris in the bottom of the chaincase. Hardly worth chancing your engine for the cost of a few pints of oil?

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 10/01/13 12:09 pm

Stuart, this is a BSA!!
Posted By: DavidP

Re: Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 10/01/13 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by leon bee
Stuart, this is a BSA!!

Which, in '69, is the same as a Triumph. Separate crankcase and primary oil. In either case, if the crank seal leaks wet sumping will fill the primary. Especially when sitting on the side stand.

Re: Oil Everywhere BSA 69 T-bolt - 10/01/13 7:53 pm

Yes, I thought Stuart was being inattentive.......but it is I. Think that word "contaminated" is what confused me re Stuart's post. I never think of primary fluid as being contaminated, just always dirty as hell.
© 2020 Britbike forum