Britbike forum

Enfield Interceptor 2019

Posted By: Kev.

Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/08/19 8:01 pm

I quite fancy one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fru7-wk8hYo
Posted By: Kent Shaun

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 9:07 am

Kev lad, love to see that with a screen and a set of panniers, wonder if they do that for them...?

BUT remember lad, that's NOT a Brit bike, it's an Indian with an Old Brit bike name.... wink
Posted By: kommando

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 11:47 am

Design team is UK based even if manufacture is not.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/business/profile-inside-royal-enfields-new-1099020
Posted By: 68 royalstar tony

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 12:01 pm

Tis a nice looking bike though, wonder if they are coming to Canada.
Posted By: Keane Lucas

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 1:36 pm

About 3 weeks ago,I sent an inquiry to the local (Philadelphia,Pa) RE dealer,
asking if they might show up at the annual Norton Gathering 4.28.19
With a new machine.
They are maybe 20 miles away,from the venue at, Washington's Crossing State Park.
This event,is attended by richochetrider,tridentman,royaloilfield,and edunham,among others [email protected]
No reply yet......

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Kev lad, that's NOT a Brit bike, it's an Indian with an Old Brit bike name.... wink

Thank god for that Shaun, that means it might be reliable and not leak oil everywhere beerchug
Posted By: Al Eckstadt

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 1:48 pm

Just yesterday got a voice mail from Kustom Workz in Depew NY near Buffalo. Not for sale, yet, but they have two 650 "showroom models" available for viewing. I will be calling them back to ask if they'll bring the bikes to Wintercycle Therapy later this month at the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport. Will I buy one? I would have to say unlikely. Would I like to ride one? Yes! Although I have only ridden very short rides on left side shifting bikes.
Posted By: wadeschields

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 2:28 pm

Sounds like a good honest review. Id take one .... Whats the projected price I wonder. It will do well if its affordable .
Posted By: Tridentman

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 3:58 pm

I was talking to my local Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer a couple of weeks ago.
We are friendly as he sponsors a local bike show I help to organize.
He reckons that the pricing has been made very attractive in order to establish a market presence and a good market share.
I think I remember that the cheaper of the two variants has a price tag of $5999.
If so and if they turn out to be a good bike then this will give strong competition to the modern Triumphs.
HTH
Posted By: Kent Shaun

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 6:13 pm

Thank god for that Shaun, that means it might be reliable and not leak oil everywhere

And Amen to that Kev brother... laughing thumbsup

Wade man dude, over here they sell for around £5500, just about the same price for a 40yr+ BSA, that'll be leaking oil and breaking down, just as you want to go somewhere. These Enfield's sure are a tempting, throw Gas in the tank, hit the kickstart button, and watch that horizon getting closer... wink

Only REAL downside I can think of is, the time when it comes to sell, being a *New* bike it won't hold it's value like an *Old* bike, but the stress and worry an old heap gives you, really makes new look the way to go.... whistle

Just sayin'
Posted By: kevin roberts

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 6:52 pm

when the enfield is forty years old like the BSAs, it WILL be an old bike.

i remember when triumphs and BSAs rotted in junkyards because they weren't hondas.

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 9:20 pm

The thing that attracts me to the Interceptor, is that it looks like a motorcycle, not covered in plastic panels, but a real bike with twin shocks and proper silencers. Funnily enough I have a new old stock set of Craven panniers and a craven rack that would bolt right on, it would soon turn into a nice touring machine, with the classic mid seventies look

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 9:30 pm

Another review here, from a well known reviewer over here in the UK.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rpySNs6m4
Posted By: ricochetrider

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/09/19 10:01 pm

Probably pretty solid, I'd hit it.
Posted By: reverb

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/10/19 2:52 am

...hi Shaun, I think the problem is that you have too much bikes; and as you know, the machinery that you use and use is the less that prone to fail (only service) however, the ones that have barely use start with the problems; I guess due to the weather there and here that s similar.

Hi Kevin, yes, could be that old but old is not classic...nothing more is classic
Posted By: tridentt150v

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/10/19 7:44 am

I think a 650 has limited appeal...in this modern era its just too small for anything other than a commuter IMO. I know that some will disagree, but I also have a 750 twin and it is too small...I like riding it and it is a joy with its lightness, balance, and handling....but I grew up with them. To the new generation, loading up with a pillion and briskly accelerating up a long steep hill/mountain in top gear is an accepted norm, our classics won't do that and neither will the RE.

Granted it will be competitively priced, but for the same $$$ you could get any number of 'as new' modern bikes with as much or more to offer. The RE will only appeal to a small niche market which is also contracting by the day.
Posted By: reverb

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/10/19 1:58 pm

...you are right. In the countries where the motorcycles are used to commute is used 125 or 250cc.
Is possible that the first intention was to sell its on Indian market to a batch of commuters than wanted to upgrade the cc (but retain some possibility to wrench them), have enough money (is a lot of money for India)
In countries like USA where the bikes never were intended to commute, and as you say only 650 (and not the modern 675 like the Daytona or speed triple or some dual sports) have no appeal only for that small niche.
Posted By: Don Leaming

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 1:57 am

The new RE Interceptor has performance stats that are about identical to my 2000 W650, even weighs about the same. As a solo mount it should be able to handle any role on any paved road in Canada, just like the W650. Two up with luggage and camping gear it might struggle a bit on the freeways and in the mountains.
That’s just my 2 pence!
Don
Posted By: mac

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 3:13 am

disappointed.....not a 700 or 750,so not interested!

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 3:59 am

Just to put the engine capacity into some sort of perspective----
When I was cutting my motorcycle teeth in England in the 60s ---
You learnt on a 250, a 350 was a big bike, a 500 was a really big bike (the biggest capacity in road racing) and if you bought a 650 it was assumed that you were going to fit a sidecar to it.
Big engines are not necessary--the whole essence of a Brit bike is that it is lightweight, a good power to weight ratio and easy to throw around in the corners.
Just my two cents worth of course.
Posted By: Peter R

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 8:28 am

It seems to be an American perspective of motorcycling that a bike has to measure at least 1200cc and and weigh over 600lb to be useable.
Cornering and roadholding is apparently not much of a concern in the US of A.

I concur with Tridentman that a 500cc bike was considered a big machine over here, and useable under any condition.
Big engines are not essential for having fun on a motorbike. Lightweight an good power to weight ratio is where it matters.
Add two cents from me to the two cents from TM.

Posted By: Rich B

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 10:48 am

The market for bikes in the US is struggling. Part of it is demographics. The generation that was buying the land barges is aging fast and not buying. The younger generations are either not interested or are not interested in buying land barges.

The 2 market segments that seem to be healthy is the adventure style bikes and small displacement (650cc and smaller).

RE has done OK so far with the Himalayan in the US. The bike has sold well and gets positive press and owner reviews. So the 650’s may have a niche to fill in the changing US market. Plus it is the US, RE has already partnered with S&S for performance upgrades. From what I have heard, the engine lends itself to performance upgrades quite readily.

IMO, 650 has always been a sweet spot in the US. Big enough to be capable of doing distance, small enough to be good for short distance stuff or poor road riding. I really like my Tiger 800, but it is still a large bike, crawling on one of the 650’s or the Gold Star (the GS isn’t a small bike in my mind, it punches way above its size) reminds me of that little detail. So yea, I am mildly interested.

Now......if I could get someone to cough up an engine.....I can find a rider for production twins class......S&S is supposed to have the power.......
Posted By: kevin roberts

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 4:37 pm

[Linked Image]

overall

[Linked Image]

harley

are the weaker sales just a general thing?

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 5:25 pm

Now lets get this strait, I like a Harley, I have owned seven, I still own a shovelhead FLH. But I was in a dealer last week looking for a possible new bike, and right here I have to be brutally honest, they had nothing in the new range that I would ever own, they were awful, too much chrome, too much plastic, and very little style! Honestly who wants to ride these things? it is beyond me.

They actually did have a Harley I did fancy though, but it was a 2001 Dyna glide with 8000 miles on the clock, and five previous owners. I really was tempted, but is it better than my Beemer GS 1200? I don't know, my GS is more useable for everyday use. Harley seem to have lost all direction, a shame but there you are.
Posted By: Keane Lucas

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 8:16 pm

Stock, with a SOHC 8 valve head,270 degree crank,and 9.5:1 compression
S&S has a lot to work with.
800+cc?100 hp?

I have yet to find the 6 speed gearbox ratios...
Posted By: Rich B

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 8:25 pm

What I have heard is up to 865 cc, 105+ HP.

At introduction, there is supposed to be kits to take a stock engine up to the mid 80's and retain warranty.

Apparently the people who have seen them in the flesh say the S & S exhaust cans on the Interceptor gets everyone's attention. Not obnoxious, but attention getting.

From what I have seen of the engine cutaways, there is room to grow and the basic engine is pretty well thought out.

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/11/19 8:30 pm

Interesting background from the local newspaper:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/business/profile-inside-royal-enfields-new-1099020

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/12/19 2:07 pm

Also interestingly---there is a faint US connection to the new Royal Enfield Technical Center.
It is based at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire---about 20 miles from where I lived in UK before moving to US some 18 years ago.
They mention in the article a test track.
Bruntingthorpe was built as a USAF bomber base in WWII and the test track I guess is based on the old runways.
Another gem from my vast repository of useless information!
Posted By: bodine031

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/13/19 12:05 am

Some may or may not know Mr. Warburton is the reason Hinkley Triumphs are where they are in the market. He will only improve RE. The head honcho at RE wants to dominate the medium displacement market. My little-ole 64 SF-Hornet 650 runs down the road just fine. Hope RE does good here and gets more young and older riders riding

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/13/19 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Tridentman

That is an interesting read,
Posted By: Peter R

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/16/19 10:54 am

Went to a bike show yesterday, called Motorbeurs Utrecht, this is a huge event, with everything the motorbike business has to offer in a big exhibition hall.
All major motorbike manufacturers had their bikes on display, and also clothing, helmets and other things motorbike related could be seen.
Enfield was also there, with several new Interceptors, and it was my first view of these bikes, they looked nice, and fairly priced, although the attention to detail left a bit to be desired , the painted wheelhubs looked ugly imo, but generally , these machines looked like good value for money.
There was a lot of interst for the Enfields, but what struck me most was the fact that the interest came mainly from grey haired old men (like myself), while the guys and girls seen at the stands of other manufacturers were much younger.
Is this perhaps a sign on the wall ? the last hurray for a soon to be extinct breed of bikers ? I think the new Interceptor deserves bettter,.
just my 2c
Posted By: Irish Swede

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/16/19 1:43 pm

I attended the "Progressive Motorcycle Show" near Chicago yesterday, saw the new Enfield twins, and I was impressed by them, both in the quality of manufacture, AND the price.
Looks like good value for the money.
The local triumph dealer will also be handling the Enfield line this spring.

Re: Enfield Interceptor 2019 - 02/24/19 6:25 pm

New exhausts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3SJuyyv3g
© 2019 Britbike forum