Britbike forum
Posted By: Bob E 1968 Spitfire clutch cable - 10/04/20 7:00 am
Im slowly gathering parts I have been missing from my engine rebuild, and I tried putting the the clutch cable into the connector where the cable enters the engine from the side down by the clutch actuating arm.the ball on the cable end wont go into the connector, spring thing. ball is to big to get into the connector. wondering if I have the right cable. anybody else have this issue. can I file the ball at end of cable down a bit to try and get it to fit?
Posted By: DMadigan Re: 1968 Spitfire clutch cable - 10/04/20 4:44 pm
You have the lever end disconnected? Feed in enough cable so only the cable is going through the slot then pull it back to the ball.
Posted By: Bob E Re: 1968 Spitfire clutch cable - 10/04/20 5:19 pm
the ball end of the cable will not go into the connector ( p/n- 68-3257). I could barely get the ball in, but diffidently cant rotate the ball end in the connector. i will go out to garage and try what you said. i will let you know, thanks
Posted By: DMadigan Re: 1968 Spitfire clutch cable - 10/04/20 9:10 pm
Parts book shows 68-3257 as a connector but points to a washer. That part extends the cable lever through the case, yes? Is it a new cable? There are several different size balls used on the end. You might have a cable for the later ball/ramp lifter.
Posted By: Allan G Re: 1968 Spitfire clutch cable - 10/04/20 9:52 pm
Wouldn’t the later cable have the UNF threaded piece on Dave?

I’ve bought some aftermarket cables and found that the ferule piece is too large. As though they have used the wrong ferule perhaps? You should be able to make it smaller without any issues.
Posted By: Bob E Re: 1968 Spitfire clutch cable - 10/05/20 8:21 pm
Thanks, was able to take a file to the cable ball end and get it to fit and rotate in the connector
© Britbike forum