Britbike forum

1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer

Posted By: jakejoseph

1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/09/19 8:02 pm

So, after about 20 years of being a dream in a bunch of crates that I have moved at least once, I am finally getting to the reassembly of the BSA. I have the engine on its side, off of the floor with some 4x4s and am putting the frame around the engine.

I had the frame straightened by Wasco, and then powdercoated. I have cleaned the engine up, and polished the cases, and now am reassembling.

I bought new mounting bolts. The frame fits perfectly around the upper front mounting bolt. Slides in place with no side to side movement.

The lower mounting bolt has a gap in the clutch side (up in the picture), but no gap in the points side. I have the original mounting gear, and there was a spacer in there, which I have also attached.

I assume that the spacer needs to go in where the gap is (it fits - very tightly) before I tighten up the frame, but wanted to confirm this, as it has been 15 years since I pulled this apart.

When the frame is centered with the front bolt in place but the nuts not tightened, there is very little lateral movement - the front fits perfectly - so I can't shove the frame around to increase or decrease the gap shown.

Thanks for the advice

Attached picture MVIMG_20190609_153606.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20190609_153555.jpg
Posted By: Lannis

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/10/19 12:09 am

Yes, you have found the spot for the famous and sometimes mythical-seeming "Packing Piece". The gap IS there and that spacer IS meant to fill it up. If it's not, the bottom mount with either try to warp the frame or leave a gap.

Why it was designed that way, perhaps others can speculate ...

Lannis
Posted By: Jon W. Whitley

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/10/19 12:12 am

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. The spacers should have a tight fit too keep from flexing the frame and causing undue stress on the frame which can of course possibly cause a crack and definitely increase vibration.

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/10/19 12:39 am

So, I made a boo-boo - the piece can actually fit in both sides, you can get lateral movement of the frame. Sooo - Which side do I put it in?
Posted By: leon bee

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/10/19 1:16 am

Snug up all the other mounts, then do whatever it takes on that bottom bolt. That is, don't spread anything, don't decrease any gap just shim what's there.
Posted By: Allan Gill

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/10/19 8:58 am

Best way would be to move the engine to either say and check the alignment of the sprockets. I’ve never hand any of the factory packing pieces but have shimmed mine with thick washers.
Posted By: Irish Swede

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/10/19 11:54 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of BSA, where every factory mistake was "adapted," instead of CORRECTED.
Posted By: nert

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/11/19 12:21 am

My 66 with proper frame and engine numbers has a packing piece on each of the engine cases. probably each, half the thickness of the one in your photo.
Posted By: MarcB

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/11/19 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by nert
My 66 with proper frame and engine numbers has a packing piece on each of the engine cases. probably each, half the thickness of the one in your photo.

Same here: one spacer per side, though no way to know if they're original or correct.

First goal is to not flex the frame when tightening. Second is proper alignment.

Re: 1967 A65 Lower Engine Mounting Bolt - Spacer - 06/11/19 3:26 pm

Thanks all - I'm going to follow your suggestions, and then conduct a final alignment when the rear wheel and sprockets are installed. That spacer has enough thickness that the frame wont be sprung when tightened, so I will install it where it best fits when the other mounting bolts are snugged, and then when the rear wheel is installed, remove the lower bolt and shim for sprocket alignment.
© 2019 Britbike forum