Britbike forum

Western Handle Bars

Posted By: Cheyenne

Western Handle Bars - 02/01/19 2:26 am

Would original bars have a part number on them ?
Posted By: DMadigan

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/01/19 5:25 am

Are you referring to the 68-4980 bars? I do not remember seeing it stamped but it probably would be on the end under the grip or on the bottom side between the clamp serrations.
Posted By: Cheyenne

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/01/19 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by DMadigan
Are you referring to the 68-4980 bars? I do not remember seeing it stamped but it probably would be on the end under the grip or on the bottom side between the clamp serrations.

42-4968
Posted By: Gary E

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/06/19 4:09 am

No stamped numbers on originals that I have ever seen.
Posted By: ljm

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/11/19 9:54 pm

I Have a 67 west coast hornet and it has the numbers stamped on it.....42 4968. They are stamped on the top left hand side. Right where the grip would go. Like Gary I had never seen them numbered before.
When I was taking it apart to get them rechromed they looked a little different than what is on my other hornets not drastically different but different in the height and length. I almost thought they were the wrong ones until I seen the numbers stamped on them. I don't know how to post a pic since photobucket isn't an option. when I do I'll put in on here for you.
ljm
Posted By: Spitfire Ken

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/11/19 10:04 pm

42 4968 WAS USED ON ALL U.S. A65 MODELS AND THE WASP IN 1967.
Posted By: Irish Swede

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/11/19 11:35 pm

I have an original condition, unrestored '67 A65 Lightning, with it's original handlebars

Compared to what we see on bikes today, the bars look "high," and "strange."
But then, it's small, stock BSA tank looks "strange" as well.
Posted By: John Maloney

Re: Western Handle Bars - 02/13/19 3:39 am

Have original western bars from US '55 Golden Flash. No stamped numbers on it that I can see. Thing to note is the chrome/nickle under the handgrips didn't get polished. Might be nice to know if at a swap/jumble meet.
© 2019 Britbike forum