Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
dandruff
dandruff
Los Angeles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Bob E, Boomer, BSA_WM20, kevin, Mike Baker, MikeG, Nick H, oilyamerican, ricochetrider, Rusty Goose, wadeschields
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#830144 11/17/2020 9:31 PM
by bmwr90s
bmwr90s
Terrific pics
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/vintage-pics.1119815/

Art
Liked Replies
#830226 Nov 18th a 07:17 PM
by Boomer
Boomer
Interesting that the first picture was unknown to me or my family until I went to the 2018 Australian BSA Inter Rally and we took a visit to the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne. After a tour inside we ended up talking to a tour guide at the gift shop and she pointed out a book that was about the invasion of New Guinea and guess what the picture was on the cover. Needless to say I bought 10 copies.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bill B...
3 members like this
#830713 Nov 23rd a 02:54 AM
by DavidP
DavidP
Property is not the problem, it's the lust for other people's property.
Just as it's not money, but the love of money which is the root of all evil.
3 members like this
#830223 Nov 18th a 07:11 PM
by Rich B
Rich B
"I have a Lugar my father brought back in 45 too. I remember asking him when I was young how he got it. He told me he traded a pair of pilots sunglasses for it, but years later he told my brother "the guy I got it from didn't need it anymore" and that's all he would say."

My former neighbor when I lived in PA had a Luger he brought back. I heard about it, but never saw. He was in declining health and was definitely showing early signs of dementia, but liked to play poker on Friday nights. One Friday night, the neighbors had invited us over to play poker. It always involved a few beers. Woody (the neighbor) was having a tough night playing poker and coping in general. He was hitting the beer fairly hard.

All of a sudden, he lost his confused looks and become very clear in his speech and thoughts, said he needed show me something and tell me a story.

He left the room and came back with a Luger wrapped in a white towel. Along with the Luger was 2 magazines, a holster, mag pouch, and a single round wrapped in a white handkerchief. He unwrapped it, and the handkerchief had a name embroidered in German.

Woody was in the infantry, part of the 3rd Army. He was leading his squad into a French farm house to see if it was clear. He kicked the door open and was greeted by a German officer who was wounded who immediately raised his Luger to fire. Woody did what he had to do. The round in the white handkerchief was the round that was in the chamber. The handkerchief was in the officer's pocket.

Woody had never told his family that story until that night. He had always told them it didn't matter how he ended up with the Luger.

After Woody passed several years later, the Luger disappeared. None of his family claimed to have any knowledge of what happened to it.
2 members like this
#830240 Nov 18th a 09:04 PM
by kevin
kevin
i believe it to be a sad commentary on human culture that killing people in warfare is somehow applaudable, while killing them on the sidewalk is somehow a forbidden act.

given that, those people who did th ebest they could with what they were given deserve the best accolades that history can offer. none of us get to choose the times we live in, and neither do we get to choose the moral dilemmas we are expected to solve.
2 members like this
#830262 Nov 18th a 11:21 PM
by Boomer
Boomer
Originally Posted by Lannis
[

Your Dad was a bold soldier - you had to be up close and personal for a .45 ACP Thompson to be effective. I believe I'd tote a Garand and be able to stand off a bit!

Lannis

He did do some bold actions, or crazy acts, fine line by definition. I'm certainly glad he survived these actions or I wouldn't be here.

Bill B...
2 members like this
#830304 Nov 19th a 06:20 AM
by Boomer
Boomer
Okay, last posting I promise. I need to get a shadow box made.

Bill B...
2 members like this
#830234 Nov 18th a 08:41 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by Boomer
Surprisingly I have a few good pictures and artifacts of my Dad during WW2. Here is one of him at the landing at Nassau Bay New Guinea in 1943 where he had a protection ring of Australian infantry and the second picture is an observation post in the Owen Stanley range of New Guinea. He liked his Thompson and wearing his hat on the side of his head.

Bill B...

I have pictures if I can find them of my father-in-law in North Africa and the Pacific with the Army Air Corps. He was a farm boy from Charlotte County, VA, probably never been out of the county when he went to war, and here he was on ships and airplanes traveling the whole world over.

Your Dad was a bold soldier - you had to be up close and personal for a .45 ACP Thompson to be effective. I believe I'd tote a Garand and be able to stand off a bit!

Lannis
1 member likes this
#830216 Nov 18th a 06:09 PM
by kevin
kevin
Originally Posted by Boomer
Surprisingly I have a few good pictures and artifacts of my Dad during WW2. Here is one of him at the landing at Nassau Bay New Guinea in 1943 where he had a protection ring of Australian infantry and the second picture is an observation post in the Owen Stanley range of New Guinea. He liked his Thompson and wearing his hat on the side of his head.

Bill B...

those two photographs are spectacular.

images like this of ordinary people involved in extraordinary history are priceless. the fact that they are identifiable with human family links adds to their value immeasurably.
1 member likes this
#830212 Nov 18th a 05:19 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
Originally Posted by MikeG
Originally Posted by DavidP
Very nice.
but I got his souvenir Luger. laugh

I
The thing that always strikes me when looking at these type of pictures is how much older than their years these guys look. Most are probably in their early 20s at best but look as though they have lived a lifetime already.

This dude ....

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

is Oberleutnant zur See Hans-Georg Hess, who commanded U-955 from October 1944 to May 1945, at the age of 21, and won the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross for sinking 6 ships.

It's been a long time since I met a 21-year-old who could even wipe his own arse, much less command a warship in combat. It's what happens when there's a war on ....

Lannis
1 member likes this
#830303 Nov 19th a 06:17 AM
by kevin
kevin
my grandfather rode an indian in france as a dispatch rider with the signal corp.

i still have his crossed flag collar pins.

i wish that that he hadn't had to wear them. there's no civilized excuse for war.

its very existence is an acknowledgment that civilization has broken down.
1 member likes this
#830177 Nov 18th a 06:48 AM
by Boomer
Boomer

Bill B...

1 member likes this
#830866 Nov 24th a 09:54 AM
by bmwr90s
bmwr90s
Hi Tom, just keeping my head down, keeping clear of the next firestorm beginning in 2021. Down to 2 bikes, probably going to sell the Norton next. Love the bike but my bones are getting to brittle to chance riding it anymore. Anyway, thanks for asking and hope everything's all good with you.

Art
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com