BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Kent Garden of England
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
gavin eisler, slofut, Stanier8F, tridentt150v
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by mrcarb
mrcarb
Does anyone here have a good way of installing the center stand on a T140? Stretching the spring is difficult.

Thank you in advance.
Liked Replies
by Andytheflyer
Andytheflyer
Clamp one end of the spring in a vice. Bend spring and insert washer in the gap between adjacent coils. Bend spring the other way and insert another washer 180 degrees offset from the first. Repeat until the spring is long enough to slip over the two location lugs. Fit spring. Remove washers.

I have done it by fixing a length of wire into the front end of the spring, fitting the rear loop onto the c/stand mount, then using a long screwdriver as a lever through the wire loop stretch the spring until the front loop will locate over the frame mount. Last time I tried it I couldn't get it to work for some reason so reverted to the washers method.
3 members like this
by desco
desco
Don't know about a T140 but on mine I hook up the spring before I bolt the stand to the frame then use the stand as a lever to get the bolt holes to line up.
Hope that makes sense. It's easier if everything is up on a bench and you are not laying on the floor.
2 members like this
by Hermit
Hermit
Instead of trying to push the spring on, try pulling it on with a piece of cord or wire. An assistant to pull while you guide the spring on, or visa versa, is a huge help.

Not sure about the T140, but this works well on the 650s.

www.hermit.cc/tmc/technote/cstand/index.htm
1 member likes this
by henryanthony
henryanthony
I drilled and tapped holes on the top of vise jaws and inserted screws suitable for the spring ends. Then, open the vise enough to insert washers...
1 member likes this
BritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books