BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Pete Twissell
Pete Twissell
Old Buckenham
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Gary E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Rear Brake Grease Zerk QD Hub 1967 #818561 08/03/2020 4:55 PM
by jakejoseph
jakejoseph
Reassembling my 67 BSA after 20 years in pieces. Putting together the rear brake, and there is a zerk fitting for the brake cam. Part listed is 28-2080 for fitting into 68-6130.

I've attached a picture - even accounting for the lack of masking from my powder coater (bad story for a different time...) that hole is way too small.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?
Liked Replies
Re: Rear Brake Grease Zerk QD Hub 1967 #818566 Aug 3rd a 05:14 PM
by gunner
gunner
Looks like your rear brake plate is the steel type which was phased out sometime around 1965/66 in favour of the alloy type which was used on subsequent bikes.
The earlier steel rear brake plates didn't use a grease zerk and instead relied on a squirt of thick oil, the later alloy brake plate did use a zerk fitting. The oil hole on the steel plate was covered by a type of circlip to protect it from dirt and debris. The circlip is part no 65-5674 "Oil hole clip", see This Link for parts diagram.

I would recommend using a silicone/teflon based high temp brake grease on the brake cam spindle as they are waterproof and much better at lubricating and resistant to drying out.
1 member likes this
Re: Rear Brake Grease Zerk QD Hub 1967 #818648 Aug 4th a 01:17 AM
by Tridentman
Tridentman
Grease it properly on assembly and you will be fine.
Put in a zerk and you will be tempted to over grease--getting grease onto the brake linings.
HTH
1 member likes this
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership