BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Bruce Martin
Bruce Martin
New Brunswick, Canada.
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Bob E, Boomer, franko, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Jon W. Whitley, mike07, MikeG, Morgan aka Admin, ricochetrider, Shane in Oz, Tasman, Washington Bob, WordMan
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#817552 07/26/2020 8:45 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Copied from FB.....a post by Cathy Howe

"Hello, everyone. I've been a friend of Barb's for a long time. I think most of you know she has Parkinson's. The past 12 months have been very rough for her and she has had two extended stays in the hospital. This last time, the hospital wouldn't release her to return to her own home so she stayed until a place was found for her in an assisted living facility. She has been there since May. Message me and I can give you the phone number. I know she'd appreciate a call, but be aware along with the Parkinson's, she has a form of dementia so you may have to remind her of yourself and she may not talk long as she is very busy with many activities. She lives a rich and interesting inner life now."

We haven't heard from Barb in months and went looking/asking........this is what we came up with and thought I'd share.

Gordon in NC
Liked Replies
#825001 Sep 27th a 05:47 PM
by Washington Bob
Washington Bob
Hey Everyone. I just wanted to post an update about Barb. I have not heard back from her concerning the letter I wrote and honestly..I did not really expect to. Barb is in a good place and is getting good care. What ever she is going through is something many of us have some experience with and I do not feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on that subject. I just want Barb to know that I ( we) have not forgotten her. Barb's wit and understanding of motorcycles and riding and comradeship are priceless...so I will keep writing until she is able to have visitors. This Covid19 issue poses problems but cannot last forever. Barb is a very special person to all of us and I will not forget....WABOB
10 members like this
#822141 Sep 2nd a 08:19 PM
by Washington Bob
Washington Bob
Hi Everyone. I talked to one of Barb's good friends and got permission to call her or drop her a letter. I called and was told that Barb "was busy" at the moment and imagine we can all figure that one out...I am not sure that a telephone conversation works the best for her. I have written her a nice letter along with my hand made card with some photos and drawings to help her try to remember who I am but have had no response as of yet. That is really not important to me...she may not remember me but I will remember fun times for the both of us. Her health had been suspect for many years and I am glad she finally got the help she really needed. I will keep you all informed as well as I am able. Barb is a super special person in my book and I will not forget...WABOB
6 members like this
#819947 Aug 14th a 04:43 PM
by Washington Bob
Washington Bob
Hi Everybody..the infamous WABOB here. I wanted to check in and let you know I am hoping to find out more about how Barb is doing. We have been friends and biking buddies for many years and I too knew something was wrong. She stopped writing me and messaging me in 2019. I knew her health was up and down but she fought through it like a trooper. I was sending her parts for one of her BSA projects and then she just went dark...now I know why. When my health went to poop she always kept me going...maybe now I can be of help to her. I am on Facebook if you want to see what I am up to...look for Robert Dobson with the yellow Kodak film sign instead of a photograph and that is me. I will keep the group informed as best I can.....WABOB
4 members like this
#819043 Aug 7th a 08:49 AM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
I called. I did not get to ask her permission to post her number. To be completely honest, I couldn’t tell it was her I was talking to. She’s there, somewhere. The conversation was painful. She could ALWAYS lead the conversation but this time there were to many painful silent spots.

She’s special.......still is but in a different way now.

I will pass her number on if you want it. Just PM me. But I will not post it to the forum.

Gordon in NC

Thanks Gordon.
I prefer to remember her as the person we spent time with 10 years ago at the 2010 Three State Mountain Ride.
2 members like this
#817556 Jul 26th a 09:28 PM
by Morgan aka Admin
Morgan aka Admin
Gordon,
so sorry to hear about Barbs condition. 🙏
/Broder Morgan
1 member likes this
#817627 Jul 27th a 12:58 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
Our first few set-ups at Mid-Ohio were wonderful. Second attempt to try and get BB.comers an opportunity to meet face to face. It grew and with that growth came problems. I had been working with the track’s corporate office trying to secure a location inside the track for our set up. We were working on it. Last one I hosted we fed over 125 people Saturday. This thing next month will be a lot smaller. I’ve invited some of the folks that attended the first few. Several folks from that group are gone now. So yes, this camp next month will just be an attempt to replicate some of that camaraderie. Won’t be exactly the same but we can try.

Gona be my last set up for this stuff. I’m either going to give all the canopies away or unload them at the landfill. They will not go back in my shop. At least that’s the plan right now. I gota lot of blood, sweat, money and tears tied up in that stuff. It grew with the event. I tried to upgrade or change something every year.

Wish you could reconsider. Do you good to get out of that valley for a bit

Gordon in NC
1 member likes this
#817633 Jul 27th a 01:54 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
[Linked Image from i50.photobucket.com]

Floyd ( aka Sonny) and Barb on a trip out West.

She's on the far left in this photo

from the left.......4th standing

This last photo was taken at Windy's campground before the 10th TSMR. Barb rode an older Beemer ( 80s ??) across the US (from Washington State) to attend............then rode it back.

Gordon in NC

Definitely one of my favorite TSMR events. So sorry to hear about Barb. The few times I met here she seemed like a genuinely real person and dedicated rider.
1 member likes this
#817578 Jul 27th a 01:25 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
thanks for the info gordon. the sad thing is at least 2 others in the last pis is also no longer with us. has any one got any info on floyd?
1 member likes this
#817617 Jul 27th a 11:43 AM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
I was on the goat path 2 sundays ago and think of mike every time i go that way. sure do miss the guy. i understand wanting to try to recreate it but in reality at best it will be new memory's and maybe a new friend or two. i would like to make it but with all that is on my plate and the virus thing i am stuck here.
1 member likes this
#817632 Jul 27th a 01:50 PM
by bill50cal
bill50cal
I wish I could but its not in the cards. if you get a chance to drop by I still have the banner if you want to use it for this besides it would be good to see that mug again. I might be interested in the canopy's so dont toss them yet. same as you after you turned over the 3 state I have seen problems with it. this year was one of those with a rework of a lot of it because of this virus but it still was a hit.
1 member likes this
#817645 Jul 27th a 03:28 PM
by MikeG
MikeG
Yes sir, Floyd is still kicking. He’s had to give up two wheels after his last encounter with a dog but he’s okay.

Gordon

PS....you’re right Windy....Mike Carter’s gone RIP and I’m thinking that’s Mr Ben RIP taking the photo. This was one of my favorite times together. Something we’re attempting to recreate next month.

Ben or possibly Richard...I don't see him in there anywhere
1 member likes this
#817948 Jul 29th a 05:27 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Gordon,

Thanks for posting this news on Barb. Never met the lady but her riding from Washington State to North Carolina to attend the TSMR a few years back is something I will always admire, I also always enjoyed her posts here about her various exploits with both her motorcycles and that group of women friends she'd ride with back in the day.
1 member likes this
#817951 Jul 29th a 05:41 PM
by Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
I’ve been trying to work up the courage to call her. I finally mustered up enough today but she was busy and all I got to do was leave a message. She’s been there since May and my bet is.....she’s pretty much running the place right now

She is undoubtably one of the smartest people I’ve met in my lifetime. Her knowledge about a LOT of different things always blew me away. American history to British motorcycles. Amazing.

I want her permission to post her phone number. I got the number from her friend Cathy. Cathy made sure it was okay with Barb. Barb said yes and........she needed some BSA parts. My gut is telling me that was Barbs way of letting me know she’s okay.

Update later. Gordon
1 member likes this
#817630 Jul 27th a 01:43 PM
by GrandPaul
GrandPaul
As with 99.3% of BB.Com members, I never met Barb face-to-face.

As with maybe 10% of BB.Com members, I did converse with her via PMs, but strictly technical and/or parts sales/exchanges.

Still, sad that yet another one of us is on the "foggy edge" from which there is not a lot of bike riding involved on the other side.

Not a lot of point in whoever gets to visit her, passing on a polite hello on my behalf; she quite likely won't remember. Still, it's worth a shot, and I do hope she gets some BB.Com company from time to time. I will pass the word on to WaBob, he's still quite out and about, and I'm sure he'l follow up.

Gordon, I might be asking for her exact whereabouts if Bob isn't privy to them...
1 member likes this
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books