Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Dave Martin
Dave Martin
Antigua
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Gary E, gavin eisler, Rich B
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#813637 06/23/2020 2:37 AM
by Dennis Yurcik
Dennis Yurcik
Hi all,
I've been searching the old threads for info on Lightning Clubman builds. Really interesting stuff. Wasn't aware of some of the details.
Was wondering if there were any more recent updates/leads on best places to source parts for a Lightning/Clubman conversion? Many of the related posts were already several years old.

Bars:
Seat:
Rear Sets:
Tail Light:
2 into 1 Exhaust:
Side Covers:
Headlamp:

Also, if anyone knows a best match for the clubman gold paint?

Even links to any interesting sites/articles would be appreciated. Its been a while since I've done much reading on the subject.
Cheers!
-Dennis
Liked Replies
#813937 Jun 25th a 02:01 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
Workshop manual top trumps them all. Roy Bacon's books are good for the pictures but thats about it in my opinion.
1 member likes this
#813911 Jun 25th a 11:17 AM
by Rich B
Rich B
I have a number of Bacon books. The LC has almost no coverage in them. There really isn’t much info anywhere except in assorted articles in assorted magazines that cover the vintage bike scene.

There is likely as much good info on this forum as exists anywhere. You just have to find it all.

There were 190 built. 45 or so are known to exist. I have seen 3.

I suspect more than 190 were built since there were 2 distinct models built. The Lightning Clubman (190 allegedly built) with rear sets, solo seat, and Clubman bars, the Lightning (unknown # built) with dual seat, standard bars, and standard foot pegs. Both were based on the US spec Lightning Rocket with high compression pistons and a CR gearbox. The CR box also shows up in some Hornets and some US spec LR’s. I believe some CR LR’s ended up in Oz as well. Most of the “Lightnings” I have seen evidence of are in Oz.
1 member likes this
#813968 Jun 25th a 06:06 PM
by Gary E
Gary E
Originally Posted by Dennis Yurcik
I'm guessing the RB books are probably decent for standard Lightning info, but seems like there is no single authority on Clubmans. Glad to have the collective knowledge here to mine as needed.

Rich B is the authority on Lightning Clubman's.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com