Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Zimm
Zimm
The land of pleasant living
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
gavin eisler, Morgan aka Admin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Rocco
Rocco
I have had my 1952 6T/Thunderbird for over 40 years. The crankshaft broke when the primary chain broke. My local shop replaced the crank but I am left with crankcase oil transferring into my primary chain case. The engines cases are 1951 manufacture. The crank is a newer 3-piece one and the drive sprocket has a 23 teeth and has what looks like a seal surface that is 1.31 inches in diameter. With the crankshaft and the sprocket this is a typical bastardized assembly I have used since 1977.
Yesterday, after removing, checking, and reassembling all external oil and breather lines I put 40 miles on it and had 1/4 inch more oil in my primary.

Anybody have a problem like this and solved it? Am I supposed to have a seal, large diameter thin flat washer, or felt washer to prevent or lessen oil transfer into the primary?

I am newby enough to not see how to post photos with this post
Liked Replies
by HawaiianTiger
HawaiianTiger
Here ya go...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Cheers,
Bill
1 member likes this
by tridentt150v
tridentt150v
I use imgur.
In imgur I use:
I click on the photo I want to use
Select 'Direct Link' and click on 'Copy'
Set the size ...this one is 'Large Thumbnail'

In Britbike I use:
Full Editor
Then the icon next to the smiley face and before the clapboard....'Insert Image Link'
and use Control V to paste my link in.
Then hit 'OK'
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is a great reading lamp Rocco
1 member likes this
by Rocco
Rocco
I'm preparing to take it out for a hundred mile spin to Valley Center and back. I will post the changes.

Bill thanks for posting the photo. That was at the Hanson Dam Run last year.

I joined this forum and a premium ($25) member and as of now don't see any Attachment Manager. I didn't spend the $100 plus for the 5 year membership.

Concerning the headlamp, in 1972 I traded a gram of has for it. I was told it was from a 1910-1920 fire engine spot light, by Vesco, made in Chicago. Now people tell me it's "Steam Punk." When I put it on I don't think the term existed. No parts were harmed. I've never had the proper nacelle. Not sure what you meant by "shade?"

The bags say ERII Royal Mail. I had them screened, along with a few t-shirts.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com