Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
dandruff
dandruff
Los Angeles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Falcon_52, Lorenzo, Stein Roger
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Bob Fletcher
Bob Fletcher
I've been comparing a 73 right shift with a 79 left shift-- Triumph had to redesign the motor cases and at least 5 other components to get these to left shift-- how did they accomplish this? First year was 76 directly after the 74/75 shutdown-- had to be a bad financial time for them. Anybody got some history to share?
Liked Replies
by HawaiianTiger
HawaiianTiger
I would call the design "awkward" but it functions properly. A bit fragile in a tip over, but what can you do?
And the nice short throw precise click from gear to gear was retained.
I wonder about that law. Standardizing the shift and brake is for people who probably shouldn't be riding anyway. I have three bikes, three different shift patterns. No worries.
Cheers,
Bill
2 members like this
by quinten
quinten
it was a mandate to standardized motorcycle controls on all motorcycles to be sold in the US after a certain date .
1975~76 .
a U.S. rule , If you wanted to sell a motorcycle in the U.S. , you had to follow the mandate .
so it hit all manufacturers , American , British , Italian , Japanese , etc.

i think the neutral safety light was mandated at the same time .

the Triumph re-engineering was pretty clever .
the shifter dog quadrant is mostly the same and in the same location . .. they just shortened the right side shaft
( so there is no shifter that
daylights on the right side )
and added a slot-splined cross-shaft ... to take shifting straight across the shift-pivot .. to the left side .
bushing added or reworked ... and the crossshaft had to double-dogleg around the clutch .
not cheap , or necessary to the function of the gearbox ,
just necessary to sell in the USA . ( the big market )
1 member likes this
by Stein Roger
Stein Roger
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Originally Posted by AngloBike
Neutral light was a 79 addition so presumably that's when it came in?

The LH shift works quite well, considering the back of a fag packet design

Triumph made the change in 1975, and I think it was the same for Norton.

Another cocktail napkin design is how they shoe-horned in the rear brake cylinder. I've theorized that the shifter/brake lever side swap is what caused them to go to a disc brake; that is, by utilizing hydraulics, they were able to switch sides without making any major frame changes. But God help you if you have to work on that brake cylinder.
The LH shifter turned out OK, but the rear disc brake is a disaster from any angle. I simply hate everything about it.
Look at how neat Norton made it on the Commando Mk3!
I've owned a few LH shift T140/TR7, but if I was to own one again I'd get myself a conical rear wheel and change the shifter back to the RH, as Mother Nature intended!

SR
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com