Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
bones_bir
bones_bir
Hippyville, Oregon
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
GrandPaul
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#811812 06/08/2020 5:07 AM
by Darryl Kernaghan
Darryl Kernaghan
Hi all, I am trying to help a friend, he has received from the UK , for an 850 Commando he is the final stages of totally re building , a pair of chromed headers and silencers, they are high exit pipes,[ finishing not a long way below seat level]. The problem he faces is, the bends are nearly all, just a smidgeon out, compounding at times to interfere with each other, and finally with the upper, [RHS] outlet, pointing a considerable degree away from the bike. Just to be clear, both pipes exit the left hand side, rising past the primary case, upper pipe passing a bit below mid point on the side cover. My basic question is, has anyone had success, gently increasing/ decreasing the radii of chromed pipes without cosmetic damage? If so, what method is best to employ? The alternative obviously is to replace them, but at considerable cost to "someone?" Also a substantial time factor, being A uk- Australia transaction . Any advice appreciated, than you.
Liked Replies
#811913 Jun 8th a 09:32 PM
by HawaiianTiger
HawaiianTiger
Chrome is a very hard metal, as is nickel. Copper and steel bend readily, but the chrome and nickel do not. They will crack, and where the cracks are, corrosion will follow.
Bending chrome pipes is a crap shoot. You might get away with a degree or two.....
As stated above, heating doesn't gain you much.
I suspect that the chroming process distorts the metal some as well as the "spring back" from tooling as mentioned. People who manufacture chrome exhaust pipes must hate life. Without some serious effort, it can be near impossible to make a pipe that fits.
This is why I will look into finding a length of flex pipe for my Commando when I get around to replacing the exhaust system. It's to go just before entering the muffler. I just might cure the common fractures that occur at the weld at the front of the mufflers.
Cheers,
Bill
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com