Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
dandruff
dandruff
Los Angeles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Robert Dentico, slofut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Robert Dentico
Robert Dentico
So, had a interesting jaunt out to Little Cranberry Island yesterday to rescue a '71 Triumph T100 R Daytona.  Purchased from the second owner that bought it in 1988, been in storage in a shed on Little Cranberry Island off the coast of Maine for the past fifteen years.  He had purchased the Daytona from the original owner. 

The first hint that the coast Might be socked in with fog was the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, I could not see the top of it... lol

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I caught the Double B (Beal & Bunker) Mail Boat out of Northeast Harbor and headed for the island.  There was one quick stop at Great Cranberry Island for the mail drop off there as well then on to Little Cranberry. 

Sutton Island was visible out of the fog on the way...

Got to the island, met up with Skip, headed up to the island home and loaded up the 500 into  a borrowed pickup and went back to the port to meet the barge for transport back to NE Harbor.  I "Rode" the Triumph in the back while Skip drove the truck down to the loading ramp. 

Waiting on the barge..

An open construction barge with a nice wet deck and we were on our way back. 

All in all a great little Triumph with many years of history.  Wicked excited to bring her back to life.   I have restored four other Triumph T100R Daytona models, a 1970, a 1971 and 2 1972, they are a sweet handling motorcycle.  I should prolly keep this one. 

I do have a couple of oddities to ask about... 
 1 - The engine and frame are matching and check out as a 1971 model T100R, EE 23270 indicating May/1971 however, I have never seen a Daytona with folding rider's pegs as this one has... always fixed as I recall.  Odd I thought.   The tank paint is not original so no hint there as to the real year...

Another odd thing about the number is that according to J.R. Nelson's book on the Development History of the 500cc Twins 1971 commences with "KE" and this one is "EE"... A little confusing.  Oh and stainless mudguards, not painted.  I realize that swapping these fenders can easily be accomplished. 

2 - Another question that I have is in regard to the tail light...  This one does Not seem to be the original fitment for a 1971 and that alone is not a big deal however, I do not recognize it.  

Cheers,
Rob
Liked Replies
by HawaiianTiger
HawaiianTiger
That's a great bike! What a save. That tail light is a common aftermarket item. It can be "Turnerized" by grinding off the sharp corners then polishing it.
But this bike deserves the final 5% needed to make it just like it was delivered. If it's a '71, that's a lovely burnt orange color with black scallops. If a '70, I think most of them were Regal Purple with silver secondary. There were a lot of variations on the themes in those days, though.
Cheers,
Bill
1 member likes this
by Bob B
Bob B
Nice bike! Not much rust considering where it was.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com