Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
dandruff
dandruff
Los Angeles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, slofut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by R Moulding
R Moulding
I've never liked Aerosol cans so I've always avoided using them. However at the moment I have no where set up to paint properly so I have been trying a couple of different cans. Last one was some gloss black Rust Oleum on my chain guard, even taking into account my lack of panel work it look's terrible, lots of shrinkage and barely semi gloss. So I know some of you guys get decent results but what are you using, I'm not expecting the same results as the 2K I'm used too but somewhere close would have been nice.

I'm thinking I'd be better off waiting for the warm weather and getting the shed set up for power etc.

Rod
Liked Replies
by Allan G
Allan G
I test coated the rust-oleum hard hat paint over a pre painted panel, the panel received a quick flatting back as it was previously lacquered and got a quick paint over. The finish is excellent, given more coats and some better prep I’d be happy to use it on a frame (only reason I’m not is the colour isn’t right and they don’t sell the RAL colour I’m after)

Having never used a spray gun and having the technique to a good finish, I don’t know how techniques compare as to how thick of coatings you can get away with applying but What I have found is this. Satin coatings apply much better than gloss coatings, and a lot of patience is required. I find a deep gloss black is a pig to paint but a satin paint isn’t, apply a deep gloss 2k Lacquer over the top and you have a bloody great finish.
1 member likes this
by HawaiianTiger
HawaiianTiger
Originally Posted by slofut
Do most of you not have an air compressor? Even a cheap detail gun (I use a Finex 1000 hvlp) will spray a pro quality paint job on a bike, and the cheapest automotive brand urethane will look better and last longer than any rattle can. If you go to the trouble and time to prep your part well it would be a shame to spray it with an inferior coating. Don't mean to rant or start a pissing contest but it just seems logical to me.

Rod's paintwork is on a level that rivals anything I've seen. He currently isn't able to spray automotive products. I hope his situation changes as the quality of work he does is sorely needed.
Cheers,
Bill
1 member likes this
by Dibnah
Dibnah
Has she been painting her dress?

Originally Posted by Allan G
[Linked Image]

Traffic lights and crosswalks
1 member likes this
by quinten
quinten
...Still don’t get why they called it Japlac...  

It was called Japlac as a complement

With the forced opening of Japan to trade by Admiral Perry in the 1850s
Japanese lacquerware started showing up in America and Europe .
The Japanese lacquerware Finish was the Envy of the world , thick high gloss black , or gold .
the Japanese formula used the poisonous sap of a tree and a small amount of cobalt metal .
it didnt take long for American and European paint makers to try and imitate the Finish .
Marketing a paint as Jap-lac was a high complement , it implied your paint was as good as
the finest
JAPanese LACquer

the British brand Japlac was sold up till about 2013 ?
In America at the turn of the century , 1909 , the Glidden paint company sold Jap-A-Lac .
there was a fashion trend up into the 1920s to update all your old furniture by painting it with
Somebody's brand of Jap-lac.

these paints were brushable and the Cobalt sped Up the drying time .
you can still buy "Japan drier " in the paint store , a Cobalt solvent that will speed up the drying of any oil paint .
quick skinning paint and varnish ... have less time to attract dust and contaminants as they dry ,
but less time for brush marks to level out ..
there products in the hands of a skilled painter were the ' bee's knees' for a time
and paint makers
Advertised these high gloss paints as " so easy a housewife can do it " .
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com