Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
dandruff
dandruff
Los Angeles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
BeezaBryan, Bob E, D.Bachtel, DJinCA, Gordon Gray, GrandPaul, Hugh Jörgen, KarlB, Noe, ricochetrider, wadeschields
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#809404 05/19/2020 1:31 AM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Part 1, 18 May, 2020

Ok so I'm freakin BORED stiff. No work, none on the horizon. Been riding around, all over the neighborhood- in fact I've ridden so much locally that I'm bored with that. Nothing for it then but to make random turns and go in new directions. Today, I raised I had not put up a single photo or ride report all year long, in spite of riding more than normal. Not really taking any digital photos, guess I'm bored with my digit-cam too.

Today, after reading Shaun's ride report , I thought "well why Not do a ride and take some photos!" SO I got my digital camera all ready to go- then rode off without it by accident! Well, there's always the phone, so here it is. But then when I was thinking about it some more, I thought maybe I'd begin a new thread for the season, to cover all my rides, post some pix from my various film cameras, and whatnot. Maybe it'll be a "thing". I'll. be busy trying to occupy myself for most of this year, the way things are looking right now for the entertainment industry.

Right then, here we go. This afternoon, I hopped on the Norton. Thinking on it just a little, I decided to ride downriver. For those who don't know the River in question is the Mighty Susquehanna river. I hadn't ridden straight south any time lately, so I figured I'd ride as close to the river as I could, feeling my way along as I went. I can, in theory, get "lost", but only to the extent that I don't really know "where" I am- but also knowing that it's only matter of time until I come out either on a road I know, or come out into some PLACE I know. I only live in one of the most populous sections of the entire country, right? So it's not like I'll need the North Star and the satellites for navigating my way home.

My ride began going through the next town south, New Cumberland. I lived down there for a few years above my old friend' hair salon. Across the street from there is a cool old building where another good friend has a hippie burrito business, this is the HQ location. It's called Neato Burrito. My fri ends Shayne. & Grace decided last year to have somebody paint a massive mural on the entire east side of the building and boy is it ever a ton of fun. SO that made a good fist stop for a photo.

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

Heading south, I aimed my front wheel for Goldsboro, a tiny little village right on the river, straight across from the now defunct Three Mile Island. Finally, it's shut down after all these years. Can you believe the power company that owns it tried to sweet talk the Pennsylvania legislators into having us taxpayers foot the bill for clean-up on the place? Well THAT didn't get very far, thankfully.

river looking like a lake here above one of the many dams

Big view looking back upriver, from this hilltop

Further downstream, at the little town York Haven, there are a. couple other power stations, One is water powered and the other is coal fired.

Since there's a lot of railroad activity around here, and trains help supply the. above power facility, there's all these railroad bridges around. Most of them are made out of Ironstone, which is super heavy and dense.

A lot of iron was forged locally back in the day, and there are more than a few place where one can fin old iron furnaces. This, that I just found today, is the biggest one I've seen, and. one of the most complete too.

Liked Replies
#818905 Aug 6th a 04:01 AM
by bsawood
bsawood
XRDS FM in Clarksdale, Mississippi. All most all of the Blues greats were out of Clarksdale. About a year ago the FNG decided to improve my favorite blues station. We all know how that worked out! So I was thinking lf Clarksdale has a station I bet it would be good. I was not disappointed. Blues and Roots. It's not just an algorithm the guys down there put it together as they go. I never hear a set repeated. some Stones, maybe some Haggard followed by Charlie
Paton and some Howlin Wolf. Check it out.

JW
4 members like this
#826078 Oct 9th a 09:21 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Well the United Nations’ World Food Programme has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020. It’s exciting for me because my sister has worked for WFP for many years, mostly on the African Continent (although she spent some time at the WFP home office in Rome, Italy). She worked out of Dakar, Senegal managing operations in Sub-Saharan Africa for a few years and the past 2 years have seen her working in Nigeria. She worked her way up the ladder and became (I think) 2nd in charge of WFP operations in Nigeria. Assistant Country Director if I’m not mistaken.

Conditions there are pretty horrific on the ground and she spent at least a year in the field there dealing with refugees rendered homeless by Boka Haram actions on villages. When she was awarded the directorship, she moved to the Nigerian capitol of Abuja. It’s an indescribable & unbelievable mess, 24/7 crisis management, is the best way to describe it. She works her absolute @$$ off tho and has 100% heart, mind, body, & soul into her work.

She retires in early November but to have the WFP recognized in such a way as being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (for their global efforts) means that every single staff member of WFP also gets their own small share of the glory of that recognition. The work they do in battle zones and hot spots on Africa, in Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, and other places worldwide goes largely unrecognized and this is not only a great honor but is also gratifying and very very exciting. Jamie, as it happens, gets to go out on an extremely high note!

So to my lovely, talented, hard working, caring & loving sister, I say congratulations for a job well done! Congrats, too, to all World Food Programme staff worldwide.

ARTICLE HERE
4 members like this
#812457 Jun 14th a 10:09 AM
by kevin
kevin
i used to use panatomic x, 32 asa. had an old leica and a. adjacent darkroom

nice setup
2 members like this
#825073 Sep 28th a 02:57 PM
by No Name Man
No Name Man
Really like the one of Miss C on the bridge. Brilliant
2 members like this
#809406 May 19th a 01:34 AM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
So basically, I left York Haven, went onto Brunner Island, Crossed the Conewago Creek, and rode south ish, sticking to small lanes as I found my way along.
If I wanted to ride some dirt roads, I could have stayed closer to the river's edge, but then I wouldn't have found all the great roads! I came up off the river a ways and made a hard left onto Gravel Hill Road, which ended up being a long run on a handful of excellent roads, through deep, newly green forest!

Eventually, I crossed the Codorus Creek, and kept making my way sought, over hill & dale on some really exhilarating roads with zero cars. Again, I could have stuck closer to eh river had I want to ride dirt. I was beginning to realize that at some pint I couldn't help but end up at Wrightsville. At Wrightsville there's anole cement bridge that was built back in the 1930s? (I think). I could cross the river there and head back towards home.

There is also an old foundry here, and it's now a bit of a high end restaurant & tourist trap. We've stopped here on rides before to enjoy a bite and beverage while admiring the views of the river. It's lovely tho for sure and if you're ever down that way, be sure to pop into the John Wright Foundry to check them out!

Now this is where the ride could well continue south along the river, there's a bunch of good riding down in here- AND if you go far enough, you can cross the river at the Conowingo Dam and turn back north through Lancaster County's lovely farm country.... but that gets complicated, and besides, it was later in the day and I wanted more to get back towards home. So I crossed the old bridge after gassing up and found my way to PA 441 North. BUT not before taking some pix at waterside in Columbia- an old Susquehanna river commerce town from way back.

Riding back upriver on PA 441, it seemed I maybe could have stuck to some smaller roads, and now looking at the map, I see it's possible to zig and zag a little, but there's a lot of industrial stuff not eh east side of the river, including a couple more power stations- It'll do to take more time on another occasion to explore this area some- and there's a bit of a hike just north of Columbia that leads to an astonishing view of the river. Today, the parking lot for that was slammed tho, so not a good idea to get that close to so many people..... I've walked it before tho, and we'll do it again in the future. Also, looking at the map of the west. side of the river, I do see I could have stuck a lot closer to the river- again, most of that would be dirt roads, tho. It's doable, its not like single track or cow paths... Just wasn't going to get into that today- and I rode some GREAT Stuff along the way! Will definitely show you some more of that sometime soon.

SO meanwhile one last pic from today... up close & personally this time- and down wind too! laugh

Cheers, everyone. Please excuse the phone pix. Some of these I was able to do some mild editing. on and some I wasn't so the pix are a little rough today.
Thanks for riding along just the same.
1 member likes this
#810511 May 27th a 06:29 PM
by Don Leaming
Don Leaming
Thanks for the ride report and photos Tom.
It’s a long way from Harrisburg but a favourite of mine when riding down to State College from Niagara was a little road off Pa Route 120 at the village of Sinnamahoning. It runs up to the Quahanna Wild Area and is called Wycoff Run, and it has dozens of great curves and elevation changes. When I got up to the end of this road I liked it so much I turned around and ran it all the way back down and then turned around and went back up to continue my journey.
Pennsylvania has some great roads, where I live it is flat and boring!
Cheers. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Don in Niagara
1 member likes this
#810489 May 27th a 03:31 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
OK s I've been d doing a lot of riding. WAY more "riding" than "taking photos". SO no pix. Yesterday I rode 277 kms, about 172 miles. On my R100RS. I was flogging it pretty hard, I guess. Blew out a fork seal, tho and at. one point the front end began to feel "funny". Not "funny LOL" but "funny uh-oh". Stopped to take a look and my front tire was drastically low on air. Thankfully I was on the edge of a small town, so I limped s-l-o-w-l-y back into the town to a convenience store with gas pumps and and air pump/compressor vending machine.

Cranked the tire up to over pressure, as I was about 30 or so miles from home, said a prayer of "pretty please" and eased my way back to the house. I made it without further ado, and just now checked the tire. It's holding air, and my "kick test" seems to indicate it being roughly similar in feel to when I kicked it yesterday after airing it up. All I can figure out is that with the bad fork seal, I might have partially and momentarily broken the bead on one of the hard downhill sweepers, and released some air out of the tire?

Suffice it to say I rode considerably slower going home than I had ridden earlier! *whew*

My route, if you want to follow along was something like

US 11/15 north out of Harrisburg to Duncannon PA
322 east across the Susquehanna river to PA 147 north>Halifax
225 from Halifax up to PA 890, over to US 61 to Sunbury
US 15 N to PA 304

I took 304 over to Wildwood Road and noodled my way along Penns Creek for quite a while. If you look at the topography, you'll see I was also following a ridge. I was on the tiniest lanes, more than once I got onto a road that I thought might dead end on me. Thankfully there is almost always a "no outlet" sign if that's the road doesn't go through. Following my front wheel, the creek, and the ridgeline- and vaguely knowing where I was headed, I eventually came out onto my targeted return route, PA 235. This route was pretty much following the edge of Penns Valley- paralleling PA route 45.

I rode 235 south though McAllistersville and picked up PA 333, riding that over to Thompsontown where I got up on 322 eastbound for a few miles. Got off at the Millerstown exit and followed the Juniata downriver to Newport. After airing up my tire, I rode 34 south to the top of Sterrett's Gap, made left onto Sunnyside Drive, going down the mountain out onto 944 east, which basically took me home. 944 ends at Enola which is upriver (on the Susquehanna) from me.

I think this all took me about 5-6 hours. Pennsylvania is perfect for motorcycling. Great roads, very little traffic. I've ridden so much of the state that in many places, I simply cannot get truly lost. At some point I'm going to come out onto a road I know, or that is a PA state route. I do carry an old road atlas. in my saddle bag tho, so I have a handy reference if I need it, and there's always my phone for that matter- along as I have signal. there's a series of ridges and valleys that run in a downward arc to the south and west, and it's virtually impossible to get lost in that region- l you have to do is follow the ridges on either side of each valley. Some of my friends marvel ay my "ability" to navigate by landscape features, but there's no real secret to it- after all I've lived here for most of my life now...

Well so far, anyway!

Maybe one day soon, I'lll slow down and take some photos. ha ha
1 member likes this
#810644 May 28th a 06:48 PM
by Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
Tom bro dude sweet....Just Sweet my man, but you're going to have to stop this, or one day soon y'all will have a big fat English guy, standing on the porch of the sky tower, asking for the key to big Red.... wink

We could ride them roads for a couple of days, then go pay Don a visit up in Niagara, no Doot About it eh, sure would like to have a beer with THAT dude... thumbsup

He could tell us about the Larch the Birch and the mighty Scots Pine. And point out which tap we need to pull, to get us some Moose juice.... beerchug

In the meantime..... I'm available in a few hours for riding a photo taking, watch this space..... wink
1 member likes this
#810730 May 29th a 01:10 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
1 member likes this
#815247 Jul 6th a 02:17 PM
by rick e.
rick e.
Listened to a great overview about him and his work on NPR on the drive to work this morning. Really good and interesting life he had.
1 member likes this
#819911 Aug 14th a 07:02 AM
by Wilfred
Wilfred
ricochetrider

I like it. I googled and only saw 35mm mentioned. Do you know if it is made in 120 or even 4 by 5?

Film is not dead. Agfa is making film for the Rollei brand and Kodak stated a 17 or 18 percent increase in film sales last year. There are young people wanting to try something "new" and are trying film. I get more people bringing me film to process these days and the supply stores here are having trouble keeping C-41 kits on the shelf for those who are shooting colour. I'm still using my remaining stocks of Kodak 5302 motion picture direct release positive for making copy negs from old faded away black and white originals. Down to my last 100 foot roll so going to have to find something to replace it. Old emulsion is being offered at 4 times the retail price I paid for it a few years ago. Hard to know if it's been kept in the freezer or not as it is affected by age more than some other emulsions.

I like your work.

Cheers, Wilf
1 member likes this
#823182 Sep 10th a 03:07 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Hey guys, hope this finds everyone well.

I've posted a bunch of recent photos in my thread, "A Gift", and also over in "Events", in Gordon's BRITBIKE REUNUION CAMP thread.

Just because I'm unsure who reads what around forum- I'm posting here, for your viewing pleasure (but you'll have to work at it a little smile ), links to my photo galleries of shots taken at that weekend gathering down in Georgia.

FILM SHOTS SLIDESHOW

SLIDESHOW: DIGITAL PIX BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP

Yeah, maybe you've seen these and maybe not. In any event, you've likely not seen all of them- so here they are now- all of them, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Cheers.
Have a nice day.
1 member likes this
#824360 Sep 21st a 03:34 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
The drive up the cape to P-Town, all the way up, is a bit of a slog. I wanted to just take tiny roads and see a few things (breweries for example) and maybe shoot some photos along the way. At least a couple things worked against us however and in the end after some confusion (we're NOT lost, we're TOURING) we chose to simplify the day and just bolt on up, get settled, and proceed with our plan to eat and drink our way around town. All good.

BUT as we "toured" our way out the Cape, I spied a tiny airport with some vintage "tail-dragger" planes- Not knowing what I was looking at, I guessed DC-10, but later when I spoke to the owner he told me they were actually DC-3s. One day, after covering most of Ptown, Cynthia and I got into the car and took off strictly with the idea of shooting photos of the surrounding area.

She loaded some books and magazines, we bought a picnic lunch at the store next door to our B&B and away we went. Again, after some mucking about, we decided to go back to find this old airport. As we neared the place,I called and asked permission to walk around the airfield and shoot photos. The guy was amenable enough, even letting me walk around inside their hangar and shoot their old biplanes! All he said was "don't get hurt, don't touch anything, and watch out for airplanes!". Looking forward to seeing my film photos of these planes, but in the meantime here are a couple phone pics.

In retrospect, I could have shot more pics inside their office. Loads of cool vintage goo saws and stuff there. In truth I was somewhat out of sorts tho, my main camera body in in the shop for repairs so I was shooting medium format stuff with a secondary unit. Honestly, if any of these pics come out at all I'll be surprised! I did have 3 or 4 cameras along tho, so certainly my 35mm photos will be fine. Shot a mix of color & black and white film in 35mm & 120, so I don't expect this trip to be a total loss, far as photography goes.

turns out there was a cool vintage Plymouth Belvedere in the car park. I asked the boss man if that was his car and he said something like, "well if you ask me, since I put a lot of my time and my money into it, it's half mine. BUT if you ask my son, it's all his and I don't own any of it".

I don't normally shoot "selfies" but I like this one!

anyone who feels like seeing more phone & digital pix, the link to teh gallery is HERE.

At some point I'll have some film photos, but it might be a minute.

Thanks for traveling along!
1 member likes this
#825093 Sep 28th a 07:50 PM
by Kev.
Kev.
Because it's Monday, because it's relevant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU9xCbVY6I
1 member likes this
#825154 Sep 29th a 11:22 AM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Originally Posted by Kev.
Because it's Monday, because it's relevant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU9xCbVY6I

wow. what a way to begin a day.

THANKS, Kev.
All the Playing For Change videos I've seen are absolutely fantastic.

Thanks, Bill & Bryan, I like that pic, too!

Many thanks to everyone for checking in. I appreciate it. thumbsup

Hey meanwhile I sent 5 rolls of film in for processing about a week ago so there should be some new photos to post soon? I also shot bunch of film on Sunday at a vintage drag race, AND there MIGHT be something in the pipeline for the weekend...

Watch this space
1 member likes this
#825215 Sep 29th a 11:33 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Boats....
Got the latest scans in from the lab this afternoon. Guess I shot a lot of motorized stuff over the past few weeks- and more to come!

been wanting to shoot this mid 70s Monte Carlo for about a year now

Norfolk Southern rail yard just up the road a piece

mid 60s Ford truck rotting away in an alley around the corner from the Monte Carlo

P Town Mass

the above color photos (rectangles) were shot on a film that's new to me. Cinestill 50D. I like it.

stay tuned.
1 member likes this
#825698 Oct 5th a 06:52 PM
by KarlB
KarlB
Tom, the Beemer had a Rickman Polaris fairing previously, not bad weather protection, except for the hands.
It did rattle a bit and the wind did rattle down the back of your neck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RT faring is much quieter and protects the legs and hands better ime.

Just need a winter rally up in Yorkshire to test it out in some real weather, but our usual place in How Stean Gorge, Nidderdale, HG3 5SF, has been sold, so awaiting to see if we're going to use it again.

1 member likes this
#827054 Oct 18th a 11:20 PM
by Wilfred
Wilfred
Ricochet....I like those images. Can't help but think what you could do if you got into your own darkroom and did your own processing and printing. If you ever get up this way, as you thought you might, I'll show you how easy it is to get started with a small darkroom. Only trouble is that it might take time away from other things like motorcycles....My first darkroom was in '68 while I was going to art school, started to figure out how to do it at 7 PM and came out of the darkroom at 7 the next morning to find the sun coming up and my wife sleeping under the pile of clothes that I had taken out of the closet to make it into a tiny darkroom. It was no time before we moved to a two bedroom apartment so I could put together a proper darkroom. I got some P30 but haven't done my first roll yet as I've been up to my ears with darkroom work. Soon.

Cheers, Wilf
1 member likes this
#827922 Oct 27th a 12:26 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Latest pix are in. Tons of stuff to share- 10 rolls of film, out of which I got more than 100 "keepers". Not a lot of "Brit" content in this batch but I did get out to the vintage drapes and also to a vintage Harley chopper party

How about this hopped-up MG? Massive hemi engine in the car, it totally smoked every opponent in each race I saw it run. These guys have their sh*t dialed in tight!

How about this dude on this full custom Triumph? Designed & built to loosely resemble a Brough Superior. VERY cool bike.

Many folks who came into this chopper party weekend rode their bikes in (to west/central New Jersey) from as far away as Massachusetts or Connecticut . I think this was the Connecticut crew? Road ready, I caught them just as they were pulling out on Sunday. Most of us camped at a nearby campground as well. Lots of younger guys riding their bikes out there. This crew honestly means it. Most of them have connected with older, hardcore enthusiasts who then mentored the young/ns. Pretty cool stuff!

this guy rode his old Harley out from Brooklyn.

I'm having a REALLY good time getting to know some of the folks who are deeply involved in Mid Atlantic (or more local to me) car/bike culture. There's a massive scene around here in South Central PA that extends out into the universe. From our local South Mountain Raceway, the nearby Eastern Museum Of Motor Racing, the AMCA and other club events, to The Race Of Gentlemen in NJ, to Indian Larry and Brooklyn Bowl and other stuff going on in and around NYC, not to even mention the Antique Auto Club event in Hershey and the car stuff going on down in CArlsiel (PA)- there is just so much going on it's insane! It's super fun to be right at the heart of all this stuff, right at ground level too. These are real people riding and driving the snot out of real machines. It's a gas!

Thanks for popping by. Many more pix to come folks. Y'all stay "tuned".
1 member likes this
#830687 Nov 22nd a 11:07 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Well I'm either blessed, or cursed. I think, between the 2 choices, I'll go with blessed. A few years back, maybe 6 years? I bought a Triumph Thunderbird, 1966 6TA.

Turns out it wasn't complete, had kind of been tossed together out of similar looking parts, mostly the front end of the bike. So much for impulse buying, right? One thing led to another and it ended up OK but before too long I got somewhat disenchanted with the bike... with other bikes running and me being more excited about various other things in life, the ol' T-bird got neglected. Not long after I made the purchase however my buddy, BB.com's very own Dave M
alerted me to a post on a Triumph group page on [email protected] seems a lady there had inherited her father's bike- a 1966 Triumph 6TA Thunderbird. She made a post asking if anyone might be interested, and what does everyone think it's worth? Dave saw this and tagged me, I got ahold of her and I guess she was swamped by he pack of hyenas, who smelled easy prey- according to what she said today.

We she and I had a conversation about the bike, and right away she decided me & her dad would've gotten along. Back then, she had sure seemed ready to give the bike up to.... somebody. I wasn't certain if I was. in the running or not, no way of knowing for sure. She sort of suddenly went silent tho, abruptly ending our conversation without any further word- and I figured she'd sold the bike to somebody else.

Fast forward to just a couple weeks ago and a "memory" of mine popped up in my F b feed- a photo of my bike that I'd taken on a ride 5 years ago.

I re-posted it saying words to the effect of, "I wish I could get excited about this bike" . A few friends commented as they will, but one of the comments was from this lady, Dianne, saying "I really need to talk to you about this. I'll be in touch over the next few days" !!!

WHAT?!?!?

One thing led to another, she told me more about her dad, again saying she felt certain he & I would have gotten on well. She had posted some pix of him in a photo album on her page and I took a look... he looked like my kinda people for sure:

SO we chatted a bit via PM. Yes, she still had the bike, and from what she said today, I understand why she would have pulled away from all the meatheads trying to take advantage of her. She asked me to sit tight for a few days so she could sort her thoughts on the bike- and promised to be in touch. Next thing I know, she was back and telling me that she and her family (husband & son, as it happens) had had a lot of conversation about the bike, about the dad and about me- and had decided they wanted to GIVE me the bike! Honestly, I could not have been more stunned. We had never even gotten to a point of talking about how much it was "worth" or what she wanted for the bike, or anything nearing any sort of talk as there might be if a transaction was imminent. You could have knocked me over with a feather!

I gratefully accepted in writing, in [email protected]'s Messenger, and asked that she give me a minute to sort a time to come down (2.5 hours away) and pick up the bike. After some deliberation on the matter I decided sooner was better than later and it seems today was a good day.

< stay tuned for more >
1 member likes this
#830712 Nov 23rd a 02:53 AM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider

1 member likes this
#830833 Nov 23rd a 10:52 PM
by rick e.
rick e.
Had a lovely 66 6TA about 20 years back. Yea, it is a bit rough and some bits went to the chrome shop, but it really has some nice original 'untouched' details left. From what I can see, it has been rubber-side-up it's whole life. I think the plan of putting together a really stock 66 is solid one...
1 member likes this
#831900 Dec 2nd a 03:16 PM
by kevin
kevin
gawd, it's 1974 again. i love choppers.

people diss choppers all the time as impractical and poor-handling, and then kickstart their oil-dribbling and weaving plungers or girdered contaminator twins and wobble off into the sunset.

if the machine does what you want it to do, then its a success story that starts a new chapter every time you start it.
1 member likes this
#832025 Dec 3rd a 02:28 AM
by Richrd
Richrd
Buy the st3, but don't sell the norton!
1 member likes this
#832066 Dec 3rd a 03:29 PM
by BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan
When I head off on the Last Big Adventure I have good friends who will sort any remaining stuff for 'Er on t' Pillion.

Bryan, I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing you many good years before we have to think about that!

Thank you Tom, I not planning on going anywhere like that any time soon, got another dozen years according to the medical expurts best guesstimation.

Not totally wore out yet, lots more miles still to be ridden thumbsup
1 member likes this
#834258 Dec 23rd a 04:25 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Next day I was up & at em. Huntington is right on the Ohio River and having pored over the map I knew I was going to start upriver on the WV side then flip over into Ohio at some point. WV was interesting enough to begin with, WAY interesting, in fact:

admittedly it was downhill from here but hey, one can't have a 30 foot long, Roadside Gargantua, hillbilly hot dog at every glance in this world, now can one. laugh
Still pretty good tho

"for ale"? I'm def for that

After this, it being all farmed fields and stuff with the road moving away from the river views for a ways, I spied a convenient bridge crossing and could see a small town along the Ohio side, so off I went into the bustling little river town of Pomeroy, OH.

It was at this point where I realized what a blessing young hipsters actually can be in this world: they have brought upscale coffee beverages (MICRO BREWS TOO @kevin) to even the most remote places and small towns everywhere! Yay. I celebrated with a Cappuccino and some quiche, sitting in the warmth watching the river and traffic flowing past.

Things in Ohio stayed interesting enough for quite a ways and I stuck to the smallest roads possible, as close to the river as I could stay, for a long ways going North

dam nice, it was too

watching this guy navigate this river bend was an exercise in patience

but after a while I began to get close to running up on another city. I wasn't too keen on that idea and had targeted a twisty road out to the west a little ways so leaving the river in my rear view mirrors, off I went into the hills of SE Ohio. Well one thing led to another and while the riding was pretty good, and I had plenty of bike traffic going in all directions along with and around me, the road was finite with a beginning and an absolute end. There were a couple covered bridges along the way tho, so I stopped to take a couple photos of one of them

While stopped there, a modern Indian motorcycle pulled up. I'd seen this rider enter onto this road back at the beginning and had passed what turned out to be a her a little further up. She came wheeling in and stopped about the time I walked back to my bike, so we had a few minutes of conversation- never a bad thing talking to a nice lady who's riding her own bike, right? We exchanged pleasantries and I asked her about her Indian. She allowed she liked it well enough, and when I asked how it handled in the corners, she said, "I do drag it periodically". I next asked what year bike & how many miles. Her answer: 2019 & 70 some THOUSAND miles! RESPECT. This woman is a real rider, and make no mistake.

Sorry, horn dogs- NO I didn't take any pics of her. We only chatted for a minute anyway and I had some ground to cover since it was later in the day and I'd messed around so long down by the river... SO I made my way to the end of The Road and hit the big roads & freeway. Setting my cruise control at a somewhat illegal yet not too stupid of a speed, I headed North to my target destination of +/- Youngstown.

Tonight I managed to find a suitably funky, down low, locally owned motel. It seemed a bit seedy at 1st glance, but was clean enough. AND the owner had a small package store in the lobby. Turns out every guest gets ONE FREE BEER upon check-in! As luck would have it he had one micro brew on hand- a Great Lakes IPA. whee. There was an overhang outside my room so I could pull the bike in out of the dewfall so hey. Life is pretty darn good, eh boys? This night, I took the final photos of my trip, next day was strictly hammer time, that is to say:
all business.

All the black & white photos were shot with my 35mm FILM camera onKodak Tri-X BTW. As stated previously, all color shots taken with my phone.

SO next day it was a wee bit chilly but I got up early and hit the road as I had a long way to go and no idea how I was going to get there. I rode a ways North to pick up I-80 eastbound. Riding into Pennsylvania, I eventually cut further North and West to reach the northern apex of the ride along US highway 6 in PA's Allegheny National Forest, before turning to my right and heading on a gentle diagonal SE trajectory towards home. I rode a bunch of roads I knew and some I didn't know, picking my way along piece by piece. I do this by setting many interim destinations in my phone/sat-nav/gps/whateverand leap frogging to one place or intersection at a time. Of course this being my home state I pretty much knew where I was going, but took a few roads I hadn't been on before- hence the actual navigation until I got far enough along that I knew where I was at. I think this was my biggest mileage day of the whole ride and, like an old stable nag headed for the feed bin at the end of a day's outing, I fairly flogged it to get back to the house. laughing

At the end of it all, I'd ridden just under 1400 miles in 4 days. Not record breaking by any means, tho I'd had a lovely ride- and managed to blow the cobwebs out along the way. I'd accomplished a long-set goal, in riding along the Ohio. The weather had been absolutely stellar and the "new" bike (all new suspension, new tires etc etc) was running like a thorobred. All in all, extremely satisfying and fun.

I admit I sort of felt like I'd snuck thru Ohio- I have friends there and some folks on here I haven't met who are from Ohio- but I didn't really have time to "visit" and didn't want to complicate matters. I just wanted to ride! SO you guys, Bill, Rich B, whomever.... sorry guys but y'all can show me around the SE corner of your state another time. I KNOW there's loads of good riding down in there, but this time, I was

1 member likes this
#835144 Jan 1st a 09:46 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Well folks, this thread has gotten a lot of looks, and since 2020 isn't dead yet, I'lll still be adding to it until the bitter end. laughing
I do wish to offer heartfelt thanks to all y'all for checking in periodically. Whether you've commented or just been a lurker, I do appreciate your taking the time to pop by.

Meanwhile back at the ranch-

2020 ain't over yet but I'm compiling an album of my favorite film photos of 2020.
You may view my 2020 FILM FOTO FAVORITES by following this link.

Thanks again, sincerely.
Have a fantastic day, everybody.

OK so there goes 2020 and here we are on day 1 of 2021.

Photographically, this was a big year for me, in spite of most events having been cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions. Just the same, I: experimented taking photos around home, worked on close-ups with my medium format camera, did a photo study on a small coal town in Pennsylvania, made some photographs of a dead friend's dead relatives, traveled a little bit, was given an old camera from East Germany, and shot a total of 5 different cameras using several different film stocks. I shot my first ever "slide" film, sorted through some various color and black & white film stocks 120 & 35mm format to find some films I like and prefer. I shot more "people" as I moved around and managed to get to better know some of the folks involved in the local car/jalopy/vintage scene as well as getting to know some of the folks from TROG.

As I end the year feeling as tho I'm developing my very own style in photography, I'm kicking the proverbial can down the road with a specific photography project in my sights which finds me turning a corner in my work: to see if I can fulfill my visions for preconceived photographs on a certain subject. I have always just shot "on the fly" whether traveling or at an event, or just "around", so this will be interesting and fun. Stay tuned, I'll be taking you all along with me as I work this out and see where the project goes and where it takes me.

I've added the final photos to my Film Favorites Zenfolio album and with this final post, I'll close out this thread. Of course I welcome further commentary and whatnot but at some point I'll open a new thread for 2021.

Life may still be weird as we sort the "new normal" but on the bright side, we are managing to find our way through the uncertainties- and at least for my own part, I feel like we are progressing as we process the changes forced upon us by Covid-19.

So Happy New Year to everybody. I wish you all the very best & I wish you all a safe, healthy and happy 2021.

Hang tight and let's see what we can get into this year.
Thanks again for viewing my thread, I honestly appreciate y'all popping in.
Ciao 4 now.

Tom
1 member likes this
#836862 Jan 15th a 09:01 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
hey tom, look what I gave myself for christmas
new body and sigma 10/20 lense and used speedlight. just seemed like the thing to do at the time
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#837214 Jan 18th a 09:23 PM
by Richrd
Richrd
Omaha is where I'm at. Lincoln is down the road. Kansas city is the closest BIG city.
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com