Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
bones_bir
bones_bir
Hippyville, Oregon
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
geoff99, Stein Roger
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#806610 04/25/2020 2:03 AM
by geoff99
geoff99
I just bought a 1958 Triumph 6T (numbers match) in boxes. Haven't got it yet, but the pictures sent show a half width front hub and a front guard with front mudguard stay. The frame number puts the production fairly early on in the '58 production year.
Could it be possible that the bike came from the factory with a half width front brake.(1957?) Using up bits left over from the previous model
Apparently it has spent all its life in Oz as a Police unit from South Australia.
( It has a "C" in the engine number. ie: 6T C 012712) Or, has someone fitted the forks and front end from a '57 6T? What do you think?
Liked Replies
#806660 Apr 25th a 01:13 PM
by Irish Swede
Irish Swede
"57 Triumph 6T "Thunderbird" had the full-width front hub, so someone replaced the front wheel on your '58 6T.

Check the fork bottoms, too. 1957 fork sliders were one-year-only, with lugs on the rear of them (facing the engine) to mount the fender.
If the forks are '57 or earlier, possibly the bike was wrecked at one time and the forks and wheel were replaced to get the bike on the road again.
Very likely with a police bike.

If there is evidence of that, better have the frame checked for alignment.
1 member likes this
#806801 Apr 26th a 07:02 PM
by HawaiianTiger
HawaiianTiger
Police bikes were notorious for have some weird specs. There's a version with alternator AND generator with coil ignition.
Police bikes from Oz were brought here to Hawaii. Folks from Montgomery Motors would go there and attend the auctions.
I've had one; a '62 Thunderbird. They were brought here, given psychedelic paint jobs and apehangers and the swabbies lined up to buy them.
They would generally have high mileage, but good service record.
I've seen the "C" stamped on 6T's before and wondered what it meant. I thought it might be coil ignition, but that would be redundant since all 6T's from 53 on had that.
As found under a house on Molokai.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Cheers,
Bill
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com