BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Nick H
Nick H
MA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Thread Like Summary
ricochetrider
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Speedo Cable Blues #805220 04/13/2020 8:01 PM
by ricochetrider
ricochetrider
Hi guys,

Recently my speedo cable got some slack in it without my realising it, after a couple zip ties fell out of position. Next time after, when I set my bike up on its center stand, the cable was yanked out of the speedo drive hub. How do I go about getting the cable back into the speedo drive and get it working again?

Not sure it matters much- but my bike is a 74 Norton Commando.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
Liked Replies
Re: Speedo Cable Blues #805489 Apr 15th a 08:59 PM
by Rohan
Rohan
I think you will find that that "spring" is where the speedo outer cable has s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out sooooo far.
And the black plastic couldn't match it, so has pulled away exposing it.
The inner cable is likely to be toast after that too ?

You are up for a new cable, at least...
Check that the threads and nuts at each end of the cable are still good, and the fittings they attach to,
and that it hasn't tugged at the speedo and done any damage.
Sorry to be the bearer of not-so-good news.
Have fun !

P.S. It could be that that spring is a protective shield that goes over the cable, so may or may not be so badly damaged.
Some sunlight on the situation can only help....
1 member likes this
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership