BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Nick H
Nick H
MA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Ferrum Lynx, Ricardo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #804982 04/12/2020 7:20 AM
by Ferrum Lynx
Ferrum Lynx
Dear all,

Thank you for letting me join this great forum.
I have for many years been pondering about building a British bike, especially a Rickman scrambler. I have a friend who will either weld or braze a frame for me. He is very skilled and works with underwater welding at oil rigs, stainless in the food industry and so on.
The issue is I don't have any drawings or blueprints of the frame. I would very much like some help with that, if possible? Thinking about 650 Unit for the powerplant. I'm normally a Vespa guy and Alfa Romeo when it comes to cars, but I want a proper bike.

Thank you all and happy Easter,

Ferrum Lynx.
Liked Replies
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #804996 Apr 12th a 11:25 AM
by Andy Higham
Andy Higham
I doubt any manufacturer would provide blueprints for their products. No company wants their intellectual property to land in the wrong hands, Do you thing that Triumph would hand over the blueprints for their current range?
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #805083 Apr 12th a 10:09 PM
by DMadigan
DMadigan
If you want to do as much in house as possible, why not draw your own and make the tubes? You already know what the frame looks like and details such as headstock angle, wheel base can be found on the web and you have a motor so you know where the mounts should be.
This is what I am doing with a modified version of my aluminum Wenco frame to build an A65 flat track bike. I have a DiAcro tube bender but I am looking at a company that does CNC bending and laser tube cutting to make the bent tubes in the rare case others might be interested.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #805044 Apr 12th a 05:34 PM
by slow learner
slow learner
The original Rickman frame was a pre-unit BSA frame with some lugs removed and gussets added as necessary. When they started making there own frame they still used the same basic geometry. You could start with the geometry of of any known and successful dirt bike frame and use what ever material you want and construction methods.
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #805109 Apr 13th a 01:28 AM
by DMadigan
DMadigan
Rohan already gave you a nice profile picture. If you put it into Photo Editor you can create an edge picture like this:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Then import that into a CAD program and draw over the image to create the profile drawing. I used AutoCAD2000 which can actually produce a 3D tube frame although a 3D centerline drawing is all you really need. You will need some other information on the width of the frame. You might consider buying the bodywork from Métisse and take dimensions off that.
The sliders appear to be Ceriani off road. I would change to a disc front end.
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #805141 Apr 13th a 08:23 AM
by Allan G
Allan G
The closest your going to get if you can’t find another frame to copy is to buy a frame and build a copy from that.

My 2c is that by the time you’ve spent a fortune on decent bending equipment, made a jig, bought all the tubing etc etc etc you’ll give it up as a bad job and use the already done frame.

I’ve got 2 lengths of T45 tube at work (about 9m in total of different size) for the A65 racebike project. That involves very little in the way of bending to complete what I need (chopping out from an original frame) but even still it won’t be easy.
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #805183 Apr 13th a 03:32 PM
by DMadigan
DMadigan
The biggest problem you will have is getting the tubing jigged correctly. The easiest way to do this is if you have a frame that fits your engine, use that to build a jig from angle iron or whatever cheap steel you have. Use a blank set of cases to drill holes for the engine mounts and the frame for the swingarm and headstock, put rods through and weld the jig pieces using the frame as a jig for the jig. Even if the headstock is not in the correct location or angle you can just reposition the frame in the jig to get it there. This will ensure the heastock and swingarm are as much in alignment as your reference frame.
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #804993 Apr 12th a 10:39 AM
by gavin eisler
gavin eisler
Terry Weedy, Avery products, still makes Rickman stuff.
http://www.terryweedy.com/metisse.html
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #805169 Apr 13th a 01:47 PM
by AngloBike
AngloBike
http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/parts-and-prices.php
1 member likes this
Re: Rickman Métisse frame blueprints #804985 Apr 12th a 08:53 AM
by Rohan
Rohan
You probably need to be talking to these guys ?

https://robbreport.com.au/motors/au...e-McQueens-Metisse-Triumph-desert-racer/
http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/part/

I'd be surprised if actual blueprints were available ?
The usual tactic is just to find what ye want, and make a jig from it to make a copy.

I've known of skilled folks to just generate the required dimensions from a photograph, and
working existing components into a chalk outline on the floor !
Thats how the design may have been arrived at in the first place ??

[Linked Image from robbreport.com.au]
[Linked Image from metisse-motorcycles.com]
1 member likes this
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership