BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Nick H
Nick H
MA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Thread Like Summary
John T110
Original Post (Thread Starter)
My dad's old T110 -58 #803647 04/01/2020 8:49 AM
by John T110
John T110
Im helping my uncle restoring a Triumph T110 -58 (matching 013645).

This bike belonged to my dad forty years ago. My dad sold it to a common friend of him and my uncle. The new owner did some tuning, including more aggressive cams, and he rode the bike 250 meters when the engine failed. From that day the bike has ben stored in parts in his garage. Last week my uncle bought it from the common friend and now we have started to restore the bike. I love old English bikes and it's a nice memory of my dad. (Sorry for my bad English)

As seen on the image there is a big hole in the piston after the last trip it had.

Right now we are waiting for more boxes of parts from the sellers basement. We hope there is a lot more parts because right now it is missing a lot of parts.
Liked Replies
Re: My dad's old T110 -58 #803855 Apr 3rd a 03:43 PM
by Allan G
Allan G
I feel your pain, I broke a fin on mine when cleaning it, I have trouble with my thumbs and can loose grip suddenly... this was one of those times. I drilled and tapped the fin below it and bolted it to that one, packed out with washers. With it all painted and fitted you’d have to look for it to know.

To add, when I worked in garages, the only cast iron we welded was exhaust manifolds on Peugeot 206’s. We used stainless steel for welding with. Would never do it with standard steel MIG weld wire. ideally you would heat the whole item first (Then post weld also I think) and then allow to cool naturally to normalise the weld. We didn’t do the pre heat process with the manifolds and they never blew again afterwards. But MIG welding stainless uses much more amps (heat) than standard steel mig wire
1 member likes this
Re: My dad's old T110 -58 #803853 Apr 3rd a 03:19 PM
by gunner
gunner
You should be able to get that fin welded back on quite easily by a local garage or car repair workshop, following repair any excess weld can be ground off and the barrels painted black, I doubt it would be noticeable after fixing.

Would be worth checking the bores first as they look to be very rusty and may not have enough clean metal for a rebore.
1 member likes this
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership