Been away from the site for so long. I am down to one bike these days, my 71 B50.
All the others have new owners. I went to the back of my shed today, moved a few things out of the way, uncovered the beast and walked it to the doorway. Its been idle since last summer. I began rehearsing my starting drill in my head so as not to forget a single step. Otherwise it is a long afternoon. There was no oil on the dipstick but also no spots where the bike was parked. It's all in the sump. Didn't bother to drain it. Checked the gas tank and added a gallon. Held the tickler down for 30 seconds to fill the empty carbutettor bowl. Flooded it profusely. Kicked the motor over using the compression release a few times with the throttle open. Flooded it again with the tickler. Turned the motor to TDC, touched the compression release, and eased it over till the exhaust vale springiness could be felt. Turned on the ignition, returned the kickstart to the top, closed the throttle and gave it a healthy kick. Ka...put, ka....put, ka....put on the first kick. I was thrilled for the bike and for me for remembering how to do this. It took several minutes at idle to get all the oil back up in the frame where it showed on the dip stick. Took is for a ride and put her back in the shed. My resurrection of this $250 purchase in several boxes of parts many years ago, is all that is left of 50 years of riding and fixing these old bikes. While my life with these motorbikes is nearing it's end, I'll likely keep this beast just to show the kids in the neighborhood, I can still ride one. Don't know why I ever got stuck on BSA but it seems they were most available back in the day and they were cheap because they all needed fixing.

Glad to see a bunch of you are still getting in your 2 cents. I have traded posts with many of you.

Cheers,
Mr Mike