Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
dandruff
dandruff
Los Angeles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Thread Like Summary
Morgan aka Admin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#799708 03/01/2020 9:47 AM
by Kent Shaun
Kent Shaun
After all the Biblical weather we've enjoyed over here in Blighty lately, I'm amazed at how many people wash their cars/bikes as soon as the Sun comes out.... shocked

Why...? is my question... help

Surely it would be easier to leave the vehicle to be cleaned, out in the rain to soak into all the mud, THEN wash it with soap and a sponge, then leave it out there to rinse off.... thumbsup

Life is far too short to muck about wasting a nice day on such a menial task I feel, suppose it's just like pushing buttons when the Sun shines, so to that end I'm off..... wink
Liked Replies
#799717 Mar 1st a 01:23 PM
by Lannis
Lannis
My philosophy is "Why wash it? It's just going to get dirty again!"

There IS some value to washing your bike, since when you pass your hand over ever square inch of it, your hand can find things that are not right that your eye can't see, like loose nuts or sheet metal, or maybe some oil or fluid where there was none before. So I do it sometimes ... not on a pretty riding day, though.

And I don't use soap and water. I use the old Honda cleaning spray for the paintwork and plastic, and WD40 or something like it for the aluminum, steel, and chrome. Water is what you're FIGHTING on your bike, not something you want to add. Nothing wrong with the "oily rag" look and the bike looks better.

I know folks that keep their bikes looking brand new, using Simichrome polish and Q-tip cotton swaps to get into every nook and cranny every time they ride it. I'm not saying that they don't ride a lot or they're not good riders, but they spend as much time cleaning as they do riding. And good on 'em if that's what makes 'em happy ... everyone needs a hobby. But that's not the way I roll .... !

Lannis
1 member likes this
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com