BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
TBolt72
TBolt72
Glenwood, Iowa USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Thread Like Summary
Allan G, Gordon Gray, wadeschields
Original Post (Thread Starter)
B33 project #778799 07/16/2019 12:17 PM
by wadeschields
wadeschields
Ive changed the name of this thread from "ID" to "project" because it has been moved up the project to do pecking order

Could this be an FB on the frame? If so it looks like both frame and motor are 1958 right.... ? And I thought only gold star frames had the dented frame at the bottom

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Liked Replies
Re: B33 ID please #806618 Apr 25th a 02:39 AM
by jaycee
jaycee
i had '54 about 20 yrs ago and it cost me a small fortune to do.it was together,but missing about the same stuff as yours.it was my one and only b-33 experience.it probably had led a pretty hard life,but i'm not sure what is "normal' on those.mine had been used off road and was fairly thrashed. there were cracks in the case and the oil pump drive shaft that runs bushing-less in the case had worn the hell out of the case to the point that drive gear engagement was "iffy" at best. your lucky its not a magdyno unit as the dowels that register in the case had wallowed out the slots making proper gear alignment a drama.round dowel's in an aluminum slot are poor engineering after all the money spent and a definite lack of spares support (i was living in the u.s.) i swore i'd never own another. if i was driven to own another and just HAD to have one,i'd bite the bullet and buy an ABSAF motor,unless i knew where a truck load of spare parts are hidden as it was just totally worn out.i'm sure they have their adherants and advocates. i cut costs a bit by installing a belt drive, and while the down side it eliminated the cush drive,it wasnt going to be flogged anymore at least by me.pleasant to drive, UNPLEASANT to start,but it sure was a pretty thing!
1 member likes this
Re: B33 ID please #807297 Apr 30th a 04:13 PM
by Mr Mike
Mr Mike
Wade,
Rerminds me of my B50 which came in 3-4 boxes and a locked up motor. Had to mock it up just to see what was missing. I might do one again someday. It would have to be a big single, preferable a GS but they are not within easy reach anymore unless you your pockets flush with cash. Good luck with your project and thanks for posting all those pics. I found one of those up at Mid Ohio years ago but it was just missing too much for the price he was asking. I never understood why these bikes often have so many missing parts. Yours looks like most of it is there. Great find!

Mr Mike
1 member likes this
Re: B33 ID please #809119 May 16th a 05:14 PM
by Boomer
Boomer
Originally Posted by wadeschields
My tins are blue right now so If they are original .... I had not come to that conclusion yet... But I'll look closer .... Then blk as black and maybe "b" for blue??? Who knows ... I cant even read where mine was dispatched too.......

There were only two distributors in the US at that time, East coast; BSA US Nutley, and West coast; Hap Alzina. So I would conclude it went to Alzina. I don't believe blue was a color available, only red or black depending on model. So again I would conclude black.

As for the STD 2, the 2 denotes that needle roller bearings were used on both shafts as opposed to bushings.

Bill B...
1 member likes this
Re: B33 project #809265 May 18th a 04:11 AM
by Boomer
Boomer
Originally Posted by BritTwit
The T2 denotes Torrington needle bearing in the "A" gear. These are only in two clusters (RR T2, SC T2). The STD 2 "A"gear is a 42-3088 with no needle bearing. Same as SC T, ARRT, ASC T,

I disagree, the "T" denotes the needle roller on the layshaft, I believe it is in the blind hole. The "T2" denotes needle rollers on the layshaft end AND the "A" gear. In other words both (2) shafts.

Bill B...
1 member likes this
Re: B33 project #810013 May 23rd a 03:17 PM
by wadeschields
wadeschields
And with the click of a button I change my mind.... Who knows where this project will wind up.... a few beers last night and I am now (soon to be) the new owner of an original rear mudguard . Found it by accident because I was looking for the seat bracket and this popped up because it had the bracket I was looking for and others as well. plus tail light . Im pretty chuff but now I will have to find a front fender and then decide on Nacelle or not.... ??? I guess it all comes down to what becomes available.... Another trouble with the nacelle route is then I am locked into the correct speedo and switches and what not because they go in the tin work .... That could get crazy.....
1 member likes this
Re: B33 project #814487 Jun 29th a 09:26 PM
by bsalloyd
bsalloyd
If you are going to weld it make sure you get as much of the brass off as possible. It will contaminate you weld if you do not. Lloyd L
1 member likes this
Re: B33 project #814621 Jun 30th a 11:59 PM
by bsalloyd
bsalloyd
Wade, You might want to do a little more research before you order the arrow head type for you fender (mudguard). I looked at two period shots of a 1958 B33 and both had the type held on with cap screws and nuts. The earliest I have seen the arrow head style was on a 1960 Super Rocket. I am sure the experts will chime in here. It doesn't sound like you are building a museum bike, so use what ever you have. Lloyd L
1 member likes this
Re: B33 project #814878 Jul 3rd a 02:23 PM
by mr.moto
mr.moto
Hi Wade.The B33 finished in 1960 (1959 for B31). Therefore they did not have arrow head stays, these were only on A7/A10 models.
That rear mudguard you have looks right for 1956-60. The flat in the beading on the edge is there for the flattened tube stays to pass over.
When buying stays be carefull with pattern items, a lot of them are made with the flat central to the tube. The rear edge of the flat should
be parralel with rear side of the tube.
regards, Pat A.
1 member likes this
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership