BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Pete Twissell
Pete Twissell
Old Buckenham
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Thread Like Summary
GrandPaul
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Tritons - are they still specials? #730171 03/28/2018 4:20 PM
by koan58
koan58
Hi folks,
Just thought I'd throw this out to provoke opinionated discussion.

Once I'd passed my test in 1975 I wanted a Bonneville. Not being able to afford the hire purchase and fully comp insurance, I had to moderate my ambition. Thus, I opted for a Bonnie engine in a Featherbed frame, which was about half the price of any Bonnie, at that time. So I could get it cash, and thus only needed third party insurance. This was affordable, with a little help from Dad, and disapproval from Mum.

It was probably the worst use of £300 ever, it was a bag of sh*t. But coming from a little Honda, it was a fabulous learning curve, and eventually became a half-decent machine, at which point it was stolen (never recovered).

By this time I had come to appreciate the blend of performance and handling of a Triton, so even though I was now out of uni and earning (and could afford a Bonnie) I chose to make another Triton, in 1979/80.

It started off fairly "standard issue" with Wideline frame, pre-unit alternator 6T motor with all the Bonnie cams and head, typical big manx tank and duck arse seat, swept-back pipes etc.

As time went by, I got to hate the swept back pipes as they got in the way of simple things like clutch and timing adjustment. I also found the decorative hump on the back of the seat to be a literal "pain in the ar*e" for a passenger.

So, over 35+ years, the bike evolved into a more practical, usable and reliable machine. It's spec is quite different from the "Tritons" you see most of the time these days.
Most seem to attempt to evoke something that was never there in the first place, this template of Manx tank and seat for example, is a modern construction. Perhaps the most illustrious Tritons are those of Dresda in 1965.
Of course nothing would have been done for style in that situation.

I've been involved in several Triton builds over the years, mainly in an electrical capacity. I also take a keen interest in any other builds that are posted.
The one thing that strikes me, is that most peeps go for a very standard arrangement. A small Manx tank (why) a little humped seat (why) the same boring old exhausts (why).

Why is there a standard appearance for a Triton? As a Triton lover, I find it tedious. The whole concept was individuality, yet we are now in the land of "off the shelf" Tritons.

I wonder what you think?
Liked Replies
Re: Tritons - are they still specials? #730257 Mar 29th a 12:06 PM
by Mark Parker
Mark Parker
They look good with high pipes.
1 member likes this
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership