Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Grandad
Grandad
The Crypt - South East England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Putting a '67 Lightning back together after many years & can't remember if the side panel bracket goes behind or in front of the coil brackets.

With the side panel bracket in front of the coil brackets, the rim at the top of the left coil interferes with the side panel bracket.

Putting the side panel bracket behind the coil brackets, the left side panel is tight up against the frame at the top, and against the coil at the bottom.

The picture in the Spares manual shows the side panel behind the coil brackets.

Does anyone have a known correct '67 L to follow? Note that the coil mounting scheme changed from year to year and model to model. The '67 had the larger diameter coils, with the right coil straight up and the left coil on a slant.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Have you tried looking in the parts book? Exploded diagrams, and all that.

I remember googling it and a page with pdf files came up for all the old British bikes.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Linden
Have you tried looking in the parts book? Exploded diagrams, and all that.

I remember googling it and a page with pdf files came up for all the old British bikes.

Yes, as I said in my post, the Spares manual shows the side panel bracket behind the coil brackets.

Well not exactly Marc; the poster said he took a SWAG at it, and his setup does not agree with the Spares manual. It also doesn't show the coils in place.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Is the 1966 setup the same as 67? If so I have some pics.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Beach
Is the 1966 setup the same as 67? If so I have some pics.

I haven't seen an original '66 "in the metal", but the picture in the '66 Spares manual is the same as the picture in the '67 manual.
Originally Posted by Gary E
Maybe this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yes, that's the way I had it to start with. The problem is, when you try to tilt the left coil upward, the lip at the top of the coil hits the side panel bracket.

There's much that I forget, but I do remember that the left coil was originally tilted. And having the coil completely horizontal makes the HT lead routing awkward.

Mark Z

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
[Linked Image from i182.photobucket.com]

Mark Z Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
You have the key Quinten; there's that other piece that no one else, including the Spares manual, shows. I'm talking about that angled piece that hooks around the top of the side panel bracket. This '67 Lightning, formerly mine, had that piece, but now it does not. That piece spaces the coil out away from the side panel bracket, just enough so that the lip at the top of the coil clears the side panel bracket.

In lieu of having that piece, I'll just make one. Mystery solved, thanks to all for your input!

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
You have the key Quinten; there's that other piece that no one else, including the Spares manual, shows. I'm talking about that angled piece that hooks around the top of the side panel bracket. This '67 Lightning, formerly mine, had that piece, but now it does not. That piece spaces the coil out away from the side panel bracket, just enough so that the lip at the top of the coil clears the side panel bracket.

In lieu of having that piece, I'll just make one. Mystery solved, thanks to all for your input!
Thats the difference between 66 and 67. Wasn't sure what year they switched. Glad you got it figured out.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com