Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Servodyne
Servodyne
England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks for all the help everyone gave me when my rear brake was binding. I have successfully changed over from the 1966 chromed to a 1967 alloy without having to change the hub.

Now, onto the oil lines. I added a filter, so I got an older two pipe design, but now I am trying to figure out how to install the oil plumbing so it looks nice. I'm not concerned with originality, but I'd like it to be a bit nicer than hose clamps on some autoparts store hose.

Has anyone ever tried using AN fittings? Or know what ferrules might work to dress up the hose ends? I know that the guy I bought my filters from has ferrules, but I don't want to have to import those little guys from the UK to the USA.

Thanks.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
you will find AN hose ends way to big for this application there IS a braze on hose 37 degree adapter you can make as i doubt you will find one in any tube size. technically there is an AN p/n for it but that just identifies a possible part that complies with airforce/navy standards. it doesnt mean any that any were actually made,just like an screws and bolts. i had the same idea in the early '70's while in the navy. i also understood the supply system and had access to the pertinent manuals. but the combination of adapter and hose end will probably be just too long. then theres the hose. rubber medium pressure hose is too stiff and its bend radius is too large. there is a series of light duty low pressure hose used for oil tank vent lines and such but all that stuff is pretty old hat. im sure you are aware there is NO pressure to speak of in these lines. if you are determined to do this in some fashion i'd advise you to try EARLS SUPPLY; if i actually HAD to try this i would probably investigate -5 medium pressure teflon hose and stainless fittings as i believe the hose id is 5/16''. on the other side of things mcmaster carr at least used to sell ferrules and and a plier type hand swager industrial equivalents of what was similar on brit bike fuel lines.but i would guess they would seep after a while and you wont be able to tighten them up. i dont advise any of this. but we all want our toys and want them our way!

Life member
Life member
I bought ferrules from eBay but to use for fuel lines. Like these and from this seller

https://www.eBay.com/itm/5-16-Fuel-Pipe-Ferrules-Stainless-Steel-Motorcycle-TRIUMPH-NORTON-BSA-AJS/253206511036?hash=item3af448bdbc:g:lNUAAOSwU9xZ4LZ-

I know he is in UK, but you'll get the idea.

You could wire (stainless safety wire for example) the rubber hose onto the pipes on the oil manifold and filter presumably and slip ferrules over that perhaps.

But, I pinched a trick from someone else here and shortened the feed side pipe and use a clamp (not a worm drive) on the hose and undo that and slip the hose off to drain the oil. Very unmessy!! Doesn't get the bottom of the tank, but it works for me given I have a filter on it anyway.

Personally, I'd like the assurance it wasn't going to come adrift and spew oil all over my rear tyre.

Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

For the real boy racer look wink

I have just fitted these Clicky Link

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
There are oetiker clamps
https://www.oetiker.com/-/media/Ima...5554D105322355B4B202C6B6946B1E0D95BB399C
https://www.oetiker.com/-/media/Ima...E461D65D08D103D7571EBD35BE68DDE455138562
Or you can use AN fittings on the engine
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
and fittings for the tank
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
You can get nylon woven covered hose.
The drawback to the worm screw covers is the cover is as large in diameter as the worm all around.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I dont like worm drive clamps for oil pipe, they tend to end up oval.
The clips sold as fuel pipe clips give a more even squeeze,
This sort of thing.
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-238-fuel-parts/p-970-petrol-pipe-clips

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I used these stainless ferrules, a simple crimper can be made by drilling a hole between two pieces of square bar, half in each

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20170211_100110 by Sigma Projects, on Flickr

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Andy, is that a pcv valve at the bottom of your motor?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks to all for the help! I think I've got it figured out, going to go with the 3/8 herringbone from Steadfast, and some compression to barb fittings to convert the 5/16 lines to 3/8, and wrap the whole thing up with oetiker clamps. Once I get this done, onward and upward to sorting the electrics out.

Again, thanks for everyone's help over the years - I've successfully got the brakes working now, changing the 67 front and 66 rear to a 68 front and 67 rear respectively. Stopping is important!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com