Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Linden Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
I've hit a wall.

I am rebuilding the forks on my B44, and I have none of the tools to get this done. My stash of whitworth bits is proving insufficient to find a workaround. I really don't need new oil seals, so I just disassembled them and gave them a good cleaning. But getting the fork back in place is proving impossible.

So is there a way to pull the fork up through the triple trees without the proper tool? I just don't see how to get it done without, at least, the tool I have in the title.

If not, would anyone be willing to rent me the tools for a day or two?

Also, I am short one of the little wire clips that goes inside the fork tube.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
If you have a rubber strap wrench you can twist the stanchion as you pull up. Sometimes you need to open the triple tree a little with a wedge.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I hope you really dont need new oil seals.
If you have a broom stick handle this can be pushed/ screwed into the fork leg end to help pull them into place, wash out the splinters before filling with oil.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Old
Fork top nut with the hex ground off, hole
Drilled in the centre and a length of threaded rod bolting the hexless nut on one end. Thread that in and pull it up.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

L
Linden Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Thanks guys, these are all good suggestions.

DMadigan, I'll try to wedge the thing open again, tried it once with a screwdriver. But I can't get the strap on the tube because of the spring, and it has the long fork covers.

Gavin, I probably don't need new ones, but I do have a set on hand. Just no way to get to them. I'm finding out that this bike has very low miles. I just wanted to get the gunk out of the tubes. Also, fun fact, here in America, we are so advanced that I have three brooms, none of which are wood! I may have to whittle down a two by four.

Allan, if only I had one! I had a busted oil tank drain plug, wrapped it in rubber and got that in. I couldn't get a tight enough fit to work.

I had thought of using the rubber bung that goes through the middle of the gas tank, too big and soft.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
I have the tool, but instead of using it I do basically what Allan does with a variation: 2 6" pieces of 2x4 drilled for the threaded rod. Put several heavy washers between the nuts & wood. The wood will compress, but it works fine. A little heat applied to the upper tree before sliding the tube up will help. I hate this task. It's a needless PITA.

Ray Elliott
---
A65, A70, A75, T120, T140, T150, T160
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
What year is your B44? If it has the triumph type front end you can strip this down to the stanchions in situ and build back up again the same way. For the stanchions at least you won’t be pulling them up against the pressure of the springs.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

L
Linden Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Ray; I'm completely whiffing on your answer. I can get the top of the fork tube up to the lower triple tree, but when it gets to the knurled part of the tube, it resists and the fork tube drops down. It seems like it's just the last 4" until I can get to the treaded taper with the top nut. This one has the long upper tube covers and the spring, so I can only grab the tube with vice grips, and thats just a good way to mark up your tubes. If you have the oil seal tool as well, I'd really love to do this properly and change those as well. Consider a rental deal, because I sure am. I just ordered a riding tool kit, and I can't see buying these fork tools for just one project.

Allen; I'm pretty sure it's a 1967 Shooting Star. I might have been able to access the rebuild with the fork uppers in place, but not without the special tools. Even the strap wrench couldn't crack the fork lowers, and since I couldn't get the oil seals out, and since they were not leaking, I though this was the shortcut.

I've rebuilt a 67 A65L and had difficulties with the forks then, but not this bad.

L
Linden Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
L
Sorry, I should explain that the Lightning had the springs inside the fork tube, while the SS has them external. So pulling the tubes into the triple tree was easy. Separating the lowers is going to be difficult. They've never been split before.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com