Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Bry
Bry
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#836195 01/10/21 5:35 pm
Kevin E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi all,

I am just in the process of rebuilding my wheels on my 1966 BSA A65 Lightning.

Before I 'delace' the front brake drum and hub assembly from the original rim I am checking the original offset. The original wheel rims are not the actual factory originals supplied with the bike. I had them rebuilt in the late 80's by Hagon. Unfortunately they suffered along with the rest of the bike from flood damage. Hence the extensive and belated rebuild, which is ongoing now.

I put the wheel rim in the front forks today just to check everything for alignment and I noticed that, with the wheel spindle fully tightened up, the wheel rim is not actually in the centre of the front forks. It is about 5mm closer to the left hand side (right hand side as you look at the attached photograph).

I never noticed any problems with the ride when I used to use the bike regularly in the early 90's but I would have thought that the wheel rim and tyre should be bang in the centre of the front forks?

Am I correct in this assumption, or can anyone inform me as to the reason for the current position of the wheel rim. Should it be offset like this inside the front fork legs?

Thanks guys.

Kev E

IMG_1185.JPG
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It should be in the middle, loosen the tight nipples by 1/2 turn, tighten the side side by 1\2 turn. Repeat until rim is n the middle and then measure offset.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com