Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Grandad
Grandad
The Crypt - South East England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hacksaw Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
can i leave my bushings in when powder coating the swing arm?

Last edited by hacksaw; 01/10/21 4:51 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Yes, only if they are soft do they need changing, 15 mins in an oven will not affect them unless already suffering from going soft.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Just PAINT the damned thing and you won't have to worry about it.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This does beg the question of Powder Coat vs Paint. I have just painted my frame with 2 part paint over 2 part epoxy primer, and it is hard as nails. I had no real choice as I would have had to send my frame abroad to Powder Coat, but I still wonder, it would have been worth it?

Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
On my B40 resto I decided to paint the frame because of the silent bloc bushings

The oven used for powder-coarting gets extremely hot, I would image it would damage the bushings

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
My very humble opinion would be that your bushes wouldn't stand up to the heat. It's also likely that the folks at the powder coater would push them out, unless you told them not too. Remember, in addition to the heat, they are going to grit blast the swing arm first, before spraying the powder coat onto it.

Steve.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've done both, bead blast and powder coat, to all the black parts (frame, swing arm, cycle parts) and have never had any issues with either process on any of my machines. The heat from the powder coat ovens have never damaged the swing arm silent blocs bushings.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
1 member likes this: Jon W. Whitley
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
good to know!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
hacksaw Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
swedish irishman- its cheaper to powder coat it. in the past i have sanded frames and primered , painted and clearcoated. with all that work and the cost of paint i decided to powder coat. being that the frame and SA are requiring media blasting in this case, may as well just have the parts coated at the same place.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
One other advantage to powder coating, as soon as it cools, it's as "done" as it will ever be (ready for assembly, no curing time).

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: Gary E

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com