Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#835527 01/04/21 10:10 pm
P
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
P
My ‘69 A65L suddenly experienced issues with hard starting and rough idling and running. Carburetors, timing, etc. checked-out OK.

On closer visual inspection I noticed oil bubbling out from the top of the nut on the right front cylinder stud onto the head, something I’d never seen before.

It must be coming up the stud bore from below. Nut was tight. I visually checked the flange between the head and the cylinders and didn’t see any sign of leakage there. I then checked compression: 125 ft-lbs on right side cylinder, 100 ft-lbs on left (opposite side from leaky nut).

Is this a head-gasket issue or could it be something else? How does the oil get up there? Does it cross the head gasket from the oil return tube to the base of the stud or what? Any advice on what I should do next before I remove the head?

Thanks,
Paul Stuverud

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The compression is low on both Cylinders for a engine with 9:1 pistons. Was this checked on a warm engine with throttle fully opened, and readings taken after 1 kick then after a second kick?

If you didn’t have the leak I’d suggest verify your valve gaps. You don’t want anything tighter than 0.008” inlet and 0.010” exhaust. Going tighter will start giving rough idle (from experience when I thought I’d try it and see what happened)

As you have the leak I’d remove the head, remove the 4 studs and check that the cylinder face is flat, also check the cylinder head. Too many people plane the head without considering the barrel. Re-anneal the gasket or use a new one and anneal it.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
The head gasket is blowing, time to take the head off i'm afraid.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The oil leaking up around the stud is a common problem with A65s, since the oil drain holes from the front valve wells go through the head gasket. The oil makes its way across the head gasket and over to one or both studs. This doesn't in itself cause running problems, but a failing head gasket may also be causing a loss of compression. Bottom line though, as NickL said, time to take the head off.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
A popular mod is to fit small o-rings into the head gasket on the oil ways when fitting.
As Allan says make sure both surfaces are flat first and anneal the gasket.
I tend to use a drop of welseal on the gasket but that's just 'cos ii'm old fashioned.
Don't forget to re-torque the head after it has been used for a few hundred miles, i
know it's a pain but it's worth it.

Nick

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com