Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Mark Parker
Mark Parker
Bega NSW Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#831472 11/29/20 9:00 pm
S
splash Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
If I’m thinking about taking the baffles off the exhaust what should I also consider?

1970 Triumph tiger owner
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
Your neighbours?

Apart from that, you will have to cross any carburation changes if/as required.

1 member likes this: kevin
I
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I
Splash, are you under the illusion that taking out the baffles will make your bike go faster?

Or have you been drinking out of the same cup as the Harley riders?
The Harleys don't go any faster but the noise just makes their owners THINK they do.

I
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I
Splash, are you under the illusion that taking out the baffles will make your bike go faster?

The Harleys don't go any faster but the noise just makes their owners THINK they do.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yep, X 2 + also.
BTW, that’s the other reason I got rid of mine,...... ;~{

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Do you still have those great sounding TOGA mufflers on the bike? I tried like crazy to find a set for mine, and had to settle for the cheap sounding repops that have the ugly cone shape.....
Sure wish I could post a picture Directly from the iPad Library.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by koan58
Your neighbours?

😂 +1

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
My '67 TR6C is setup with the left side high pipes without baffles/mufflers and despite being built and used for off-road racing, I can't wait to get a baffle on it. I'm newer to Triumphs, but I've chased it a lot with many other old bikes (Honda CLs, Panheads and Shovelheads) and the performance through the commonly-used throttle range has seemed much better and crisper.

So, I can't dispute the caution given, but you asked about how to make it work, not why to do it! For my 650's AMAL 930 MK1 carb I'm running a 230 main jet. On Harleys I've had to go up a jet size on the carb when running open pipes, but 230 seems to be the common jet out of the box and the plugs read good when I pulled them each time so I didn't change it. Maybe your Tiger will be the same, but that's the only change I've looked for in the past... Otherwise may chime in knowing more.

'67 TR6C Desert Sled
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by Irish Swede

That's not altogether true, an awful lot of harley riders have no ability to think. That function requires
an IQ greater than that of an amoeba.

K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
Do I detect a mild antipathy towards Harleys there Nick? Likewise, I loathe seeing every "late life crisis" riding the same things, with all the gear and badges etc like easy rider.
Having said that, it's better than driving a Fiesta! or a caravan Kenneth?

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think you should make the bike lighter an get rid of all the dead weight. Take the headers and pipes off altogether.....let the bike breathe smile

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by tridentt150v
I think you should make the bike lighter an get rid of all the dead weight. Take the headers and pipes off altogether.....let the bike breathe smile
laughing

I found from when I was messing about with silencers that the baffle (for what it was worth didn’t make any difference at all)
Long answer to a short story.
I fitted a replica clubmans silencer to my bike, I noticed that the exhaust was quite loud and I was missing a lot of midrange torque (I was constantly up and down the box as the bike just wouldn’t pull unless it was revving high), after messing about with jetting and going richer or leaner made performance worse.
I sleeved down the tail pipe (which started off being bigger than the down pipe) until it was one pipe size smaller than the down pipe. This quietened the bike down and increase performance, the bike would now pull in a lower gear.

I went one further after that and cut the silencer open only to find there was only a perforated tube and no wadding in there at all.

Most exhausts now don’t have baffles, even the power flow exhaust systems I used to make were just a perforated tube with wadding in. Which after some time would blow itself out of the box.

So.. remove them by all means..... however if you literally just remove them and not use another system then your going to slow the bike down, make it less tractable, and have everyone looking at you like your a prat...

Or you could remove them, implement another kind of system which Will also help performance and not irritate everyone around you. (Says the bloke running a Dunstall power silencer) and be somewhat cooler for it.

The remaining question is why do you want to do it?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Contrary to what most others who have replied seem to think, in my experience removing silencers makes a very significant improvement in performance throughout the throttle opening and rev range, as long as the carbs are adjusted to suit. Try it for yourself. You'll get dozens of different and entirely opposing opinions on here or any other forum. I won't say any more, it's no skin off my nose what anyone else does or thinks, if it's only motorcycle stuff.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
1 member likes this: kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In all exhaust systems there is a 'sweet spot' for each application. Too much and you choke the motor, too little and you are suddenly chasing jetting and air in an attempt to catch up. Many race bikes use open systems....but they are generally operating in the top section of the rev range, conditions a road bike only intermittently experiences.
My experience is that the more closed your system the smoother the bike is, a joy to ride round town, but not so good on the open road. The more you open the system up the less silky the motor becomes but the better it performs on the open road. There is a balance somewhere in between the two...AND this is what everyone strives for, the 'sweet spot' that suits their fuel, their altitude, their environment and the type of riding they mostly do.

Tearing baffles out without experimenting or doing it in increments will bring no lasting joy IMO.
PS. kinda makes the Supertrap system look like a solution, if only we had the ability [ok those that race or have $$$ might be able to do this, but not all us average tinkerers/backyard tuners]to measure what we end up with and then be able to apply it to our system of choice......sigh smile

S
splash Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Wow, very surprised no one said anything about safety being a reason to be loud. From my personal experience driving a car I don’t have to see a loud motorcycle. Yeah, I probably have come close to pulling out on a quite motorcycle more than I would like to admit to. Then the rider is flipping me off. “Sorry dude, it just took me more than a moment to see you and sorry I started to stick my nose out on you.” I think the majority of us has done this or had it done to. I don’t care for cars riding next to me, all they have to do is swerve into my lane for whatever dog reason and my ass is suddenly on the line of life or death. Being loud not only lets them know I’m right next to them but also discourages them from driving right next to me.

I respect my neighbors in the early mornings and late nights by not using at those times.

No I don’t care if it runs better performance or worse performance as long as it don’t cause the parts to come apart now or in the long run. I dialed up a richer mixture and still fine tuning. However, I assume at high revs even at micros of a second the valves have much less time to “float”???

I thought about maybe finding a way to create some back pressure by stuffing a wad of course steel wool (pot cleaning type) in the pipe.

I just want to be heard and I kinda like the look of just the headers. Yeah, I took them off already 😁

Last edited by splash; 12/02/20 5:08 am.

1970 Triumph tiger owner
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by splash
Wow, very surprised no one said anything about safety being a reason to be loud. From my personal experience driving a car I don’t have to see a loud motorcycle. Being loud not only lets them know I’m right next to them but also discourages them from driving right next to me.
Maybe because nobody but Hog a-holes believes the Loud Pipes Save Lives BS?
What about your ability to hear other drivers? I recently had a close encounter with a fast police cruiser because I didn't hear his siren until he blew past me, and I have silencers on my Bonneville.
Your throttle, or your brakes, make it easy to avoid folks driving next to you.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
I just want to be heard and I kinda like the look of just the headers. Yeah, I took them off already

atta boy , Vanity trumps logic every time .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
I just want to be heard and I kinda like the look of just the headers. Yeah, I took them off already

atta boy , Vanity trumps logic every time .

For a certain period of time at least 😉

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes: '69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine) + '56 1/2 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine) + 74 T150 Home model.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The loud pipes theory depends on the sound going forward, but your exhaust pipes point back the way. So loud pipes just annoy people who have not hit you, the ones that do hit you never get to hear the pipes.

2 members like this: desco, Allan G
knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by tridentt150v
PS. kinda makes the Supertrap system look like a solution, if only we had the ability [ok those that race or have $$$ might be able to do this, but not all us average tinkerers/backyard tuners]to measure what we end up with and then be able to apply it to our system of choice......sigh smile
I put a used 12 disc Supertrapp muffler on my modified T140D with the stock 2 into one head pipe..Sharp response at lower speeds and a better pull at high rpm.compared to a straight through aftermarket muffler..It' has a full sound but not overly loud. John Healy said when some tracks required exhaust noise reduction he used a Supertrapp and found more power....

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
1 member likes this: slofut
DOPE
DOPE
theoretically, with all other things being equal, assuming the correct phase of the moon, less exhaust restriction should give better cylinder filling and more power, just like water can flow through a clear pipe faster than one with baffles.

but clearly that isn't the whole answer. i'm guessing the effects of a muffler would modify high rpm cylinder filling at overlap, by slowing the gases that otherwise would cross over the piston crown and exit the exhaust valve. i'm also guessing that the sonic resonance of various types of mufflers would increase and decrease torque at various rpms in the same way that changing pipe length or adding a megaphone would. i've found with a high-rpm-focused motor that changing the lengths of the pipes just a few inches makes a significant difference in top sped.

mufflers come in so many varieites that i think the best way to find out what works is to talk to people who try things and then try them yourself and see.

1 member likes this: splash
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think it’s not the best likeness to compare water passing to air air flow. If you pour water down a megaphone it won’t fill the mega, just pour directly from the centre.

The best likeness I think is to a sine wave. A good system should send the wave back up the pipe I believe. The “loud pipe” “blat blat blat” noise is a good indication that isn’t happening. It leads to not only poor cylinder scavenging but poor filling. Although this is probably in one sense the same thing. You need some back pressure as I understand it to allow the cylinder to fill properly, during the overlap the inlet charge starts entering before TDC on the exhaust stroke this pushes out the remaining spent gasses in the cylinder. If you haven’t got that back pressure I “think” you’ll have one of two situations or both.
Fresh induction gasses finding them self in a hot exhaust system (which will show up as backfire)
Poor performance from poor cylinder filling with fresh mixture.

If you have a megaphone, a good example/test is to put the mega along different parts of the down pipe, so start off at the end of the pipe and then try it further along. I’ve found it works best if the pipe is several inches behind where it enters compared to just being in enough to be secure.

No I don’t care if it runs better performance or worse performance

Really??? Will you be riding the bike or posing down the local pub? I don’t mean to be rude but if your not really going anywhere on it then it probably won’t bother you, but if your going for a decent ride on some decent roads, or even in and out of urban traffic then it will get tiresome quickly being constantly up and down the box on a bike that won’t pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I thought about maybe finding a way to create some back pressure by stuffing a wad of course steel wool (pot cleaning type) in the pipe.

Yeah, I don’t think it works just like that. Read my note above.

I just want to be heard

Well you’ll definitely have that.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: splash
DOPE
DOPE
well, remember that with a hot gas, it will expand to fill a megaphone as soon as it enters it. with an open pipe, the decrease in pressure will be immediate and sharp, while a megaphone will average out the same decrease over the length of the megaphone and return a weaker, but longer pulse.

im interested in your experience with slipping the megaphone up the pipe. it sounds like the anti-reversion cones people sometimes put up in the front of the pipe to cut back on gas return at the exhaust valve.

did you put the megaphone on stock pipes? i tried out a 17-inch open reverse cone megaphone on stock triumph 650 pipes in place of a muffler, clamping them n the end, with a 2-size bump in the main jets i went from 114 to 117 mph in the mile with no other changes

pipes are so complex i don't believe in anything except cut-and-try and listening topeople who test things

1 member likes this: Tigernuts
S
splash Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Can I start a little boy Triumph gang club here full of hate for every Harley Davidson rider? I want them to know how independent, smarter, braver, and different we are when compared to them. I just have to FEEL special and stick out among my fellow riders. I am a manly man. I don’t need to learn anything because I know it all. I am sophisticated to the point no one can understand the mechanical level that I am on.

Please feel free to trash talk for my entertainment of your egos. 😁

Don’t mean to be rude? Hummmmmm, in extreme cases I’m expecting just a little more then moped power to get me around. My meaning was a few horse power lost or gained won’t get my panties wet as much as you get them wet. Have a nice day, thanks for the input, and maybe we can go on a date soon Allen 💘💖💕💞💗🌈🌷💐🌺

I don’t believe there is any reason for a cop or any emergency vehicle to go that fast. Just another personal opinion though.

Last edited by splash; 12/02/20 6:15 pm.

1970 Triumph tiger owner
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Where’s Bill been....... ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com