Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Mark Parker
Mark Parker
Bega NSW Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#830709 11/23/20 2:30 am
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Long story but today I drove 2.5 hours from home to pick up a gift from a lady I never met. Her father's bike, a 66 6TA. She thought that he and I would have gotten along. I have no words to adequately express my gratitude for this.

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

I have a 66 6TA that doesn't have the proper front end on it

so my idea is to take what's missing from my bike off the new bike and make a complete Thunderbird. Unsure how far I'm going to go with it, seems there's more than one path forward from here. BTW her dad's bike came with a title. Yay. thumbsup

I know I need a wiring harness, among other things. Can you all point me towards a reliable resource for replacement parts, please?
Thanks.

Full story & more pics in my Boredom Chronicles thread in the Rod & Tappet, if anyone's interested.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

1 member likes this: jjdavidson
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Wow, that's an awesome gift! You'll end up with two very nice bikes.

'68 Bonnie, '70 TR6r
'74 CL360
trail 70's and minitrails
I
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I
'66 was the LAST year. They are rather rare, and some parts are one-year-only, so you are a very lucky guy.

I have only seen two of them for real, but both were Grenadier red and Alaska White.

1 member likes this: ricochetrider
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Unusual that she didn't have a few boxes of parts lying around also. Normally a guy with a project like that would have lots of loose parts. I'd have to ask...

In the early 90's I had a friend who closed his bike shop offer me all his triumphs and parts for peanuts. Had probably 50 rolling frames of all models, most sat outside and as many motors and parts inside. Could have bought it all for about $1500, and really he probably would have given it all to me but I couldn't see cluttering up my shop with so much junk... facepalm

'68 Bonnie, '70 TR6r
'74 CL360
trail 70's and minitrails
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi Swede, I've only seen one "in the wild" myself and it too was that (IMO butt. ugly) orange-y red & white. Oddly, the 1966 catalog pic shows it in black & silver, like my own. A far more palatable color scheme!

Slofut, my plan as of now, subject to change of course, is to end up with one complete & fully functional T Bird and one rolling basket. The title for the gifted "donor" bike is a massive & unexpected bonus.

Looking at the catalog image, I see the fender mounts on the front of my own bike AND on the donor bike are the same- BUT different than in the catalog. [b]Wonder if this is a difference between export (US) & home market models?
[/b]

Last edited by ricochetrider; 12/13/20 8:34 pm.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
The mudguard in the top picture looks like an export one modified for the slicer. The home market mudguard always appeared to be longer. Most slicer pictures that I have seen are asymmetric leading/trailing angles with the steeper angle towards the headlamp, presumably for clearance. I do not know if home market mudguards had predrilled holes for it.

DMadigan #830800 11/23/20 6:18 pm
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
DMadigan,

I looked at my catalog for 1966 Triumph. There's a stamp on it from Woodville Motorcycles (an Internet search did turn up a Woodville in Derbyshire England), and the world "color" in the English spelling of the word does make an appearance within the text of one bike description. From this I assume the catalog was home market not export. Interestingly, the 66 Trophy and Bonneville in the catalog both have this same front fender/mudguard mount as my bike and the donor bike. Among the 650s for 1966, the Thunderbird is the only one that is different.

Slofut,

I did get a box of misc bits & bobs. Just haven't had a minute to look through the box tho.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Ace classics probably have much of what you need, but uk based

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
AngloBike,

cool, man, thanks.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice, Tom. Sacrilege I'm sure but I cant help seeing the start of a race bike or dirt bike. Maybe because my favorite bikes began as something that looked like this one. I'm sure you'll do it justice!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This is the kind of stuff we love to see happen! A match up in the Cosmos!
So, when you have the time, peck out the long story !! I had one awhile back, and it will remain a high point in my hobby experience and expect your’s will be that way also.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
KC, I did post the story up in the R&T but here ya go.

I bought my 66 6TA a few years ago. 6 or so? Not long after I got it, this "donor" bike popped up on [email protected] and a friend of mine alerted me to the thread- it was a lady who inherited her father's bike, asking if there might be any interest and what did everyone think it was worth. I began a conversation with her and we kinda clicked but (from what she said recently) she got attacked by people seeking to get over on her and "score" a deal. When she fell silent after some conversation, I just figured she'd sold the bike and forgot about it.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and a "memory" of mine out riding the 6TA popped up on F B. I reposted the 6 year old photo, saying something like "I wish I could get excited about this bike" A few friends added comments, as they will. BUT one other person who commented was the lady with her dad's bike, saying something like, "I really need to talk to you, I'll msg you in a few days". I was a bit shocked, but didn't put a lot of thought into it, but whaddya know- she still had the bike, never did sell it. When the sharks started circling for the kill back after he dad died, she went dark and sat on the bike!

After a bit of conversation she asked me to hang on and let her & her family talk about it. I agreed, and a few days later she got ahold of me saying they'd decided to GIVE me the bike, apparently everyone thinks the dad & I would have gotten along pretty well. I accepted her kind offer and kicked back for a short moment to let the dust settle and give her a chance to retract. After waiting a couple days with no further word, I decided sooner was better than later so my buddy, bb.com's very own Dave M (the friend who originally alerted me to the bike on f b BTW) and I popped down to get the bike, an easy & short couple hour drive away.

The rest, as "they" say, is history. laugh needless to say, I'm very grateful, and very excited to have something "new" to ride, sooner or later.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com