Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Grandad
Grandad
The Crypt - South East England
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I started this thread so that I don't cause the chrome paint thread to go too far off topic.

Most of our engines are cast iron barrels and aluminium heads. The difference in the coefficient of expansion between the two metals will cause the mating surfaces to slide over each other as the engine goes through heat cycles. I fail to see how silver paint, when it is dry will seal this surface. I use a smidge (say 1 thou thick each side) of silicon sealer only around the oil channels on my copper gaskets and have not had oil or combustion gas leaks.

Rob C

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I think the object of the head gasket sealer is to correct surface imperfections rather than
adhere the gasket to either surface. As you say, alley and iron are considerably different
in terms of thermal expansion.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
MAny of he chrome paints never fully cure
And a lot of the wheel silvers are the same
They just form a skin on the outside
Real silver frost is one such goop
We painted all of the furnace superstructures and the steel walls with it becaue as it never dried fully it would expand & contract with the furnace cycles .
The military used it by the bucket full
Nearly all of the WD B40's sold in the 82 & 84 austions were smothered which it which rubs off on your boots when riding.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com