Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
gunner
gunner
Farnham, Surrey, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well the United Nations’ World Food Programme has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020. It’s exciting for me because my sister has worked for WFP for many years, mostly on the African Continent (although she spent some time at the WFP home office in Rome, Italy). She worked out of Dakar, Senegal managing operations in Sub-Saharan Africa for a few years and the past 2 years have seen her working in Nigeria. She worked her way up the ladder and became (I think) 2nd in charge of WFP operations in Nigeria. Assistant Country Director if I’m not mistaken.

Conditions there are pretty horrific on the ground and she spent at least a year in the field there dealing with refugees rendered homeless by Boka Haram actions on villages. When she was awarded the directorship, she moved to the Nigerian capitol of Abuja. It’s an indescribable & unbelievable mess, 24/7 crisis management, is the best way to describe it. She works her absolute @$$ off tho and has 100% heart, mind, body, & soul into her work.

She retires in early November but to have the WFP recognized in such a way as being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (for their global efforts) means that every single staff member of WFP also gets their own small share of the glory of that recognition. The work they do in battle zones and hot spots on Africa, in Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, and other places worldwide goes largely unrecognized and this is not only a great honor but is also gratifying and very very exciting. Jamie, as it happens, gets to go out on an extremely high note!

So to my lovely, talented, hard working, caring & loving sister, I say congratulations for a job well done! Congrats, too, to all World Food Programme staff worldwide.

ARTICLE HERE

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/09/20 9:24 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

4 members like this: KarlB, Gordon Gray, BeezaBryan, Noe
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
It is such a breath of fresh air to hear a "good news" story in these turbulent times. Kudos to your sister.
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Three cheers for your sister!

Some really good stuff on the news (NPR/PBS..) today about WFP.

Tell her, thank-you.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by koncretekid
It is such a breath of fresh air to hear a "good news" story in these turbulent times. Kudos to your sister.
Tom

Indeed, thanks very much for commenting. thumbsup

Originally Posted by rick e.
Three cheers for your sister!

Some really good stuff on the news (NPR/PBS..) today about WFP.

Tell her, thank-you.

Thanks Rick, I'm over the moon about it myself. I've passed your thanks on to her (she's in Rome at her home currently, having got out of Abuja just prior to them locking the country's borders back in early April), telling her I'm gushing to everybody about this- and she responded, "sweet"!

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I have a "new" (to me) lens for the medium format camera- it's a 250mm Zeiss lens, and although I got it back during early summer, I've not used it very much so far BUT in the past few weeks, I have been experimenting with "long distance close ups". Here are 2 such experimental photos, using my "spare" 500c camera body, the 250mm Sonnar lens on Fujifilm's Provia 100F color reversal aka "slide" film. This is after bringing the Rock & Roll Norton back from our BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP weekend down in Georgia. The bike is clearly a mess, truly "rode hard & hung up wet". laughing

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom, another bike that you may not have seen is my classic Slabby, except it's not really a slabside anymore as it didn't come with the original race fairing. Though it is a first year (1985) Suzuki GSXR 750 model, short swingarm, fuel gauge in tank, flat side carbs, adjustable forks etc. I wasn't intending on getting it a few years back but one of my older brothers bought it and I just knew he'd kill himself on it as he's crashed every bike he's ever owned so I did a deal with him and bought him a smaller, more manageable bike. He didn't crash that, he crashed another one he acquired and did his foot in so no more motorcycles for him.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It's called the Minion for obv reasons and was painted a local (well local to my Dad's old house) company colours as a previous owner was going to take it racing. Much to Graham and Ed's delight that company was a refuse collection company. Well at least I can't lose it in a bike park. The PO had modified it with the higher bars and I added the Acewell speedo etc when I sorted out the mess that the wiring was in along with sorting out the overly loud exhaust.

It is very nimble and surprisingly has a very broad power band and will pull in nearly any gear from low revs right up to 13000 revs. Never got that high as I normally run out of road really quickly. Top speed is supposed to be 145mph and it get's through the quarter mile in not a lot of time!

I've been really surprised at what a lovely motor it is, probably why they put a version of this motor into so many later road bikes. Handles OK, brakes are what you'd expect from the late 80s a bit wooden but the more you squeeze the more you stop. It has later Bandit wheels so I can use more modern tyre sizes and rubber.

It's an example of Etsuo Yocouchi's first 'light is right' bikes that totally transformed motorcycles in the late 80s.

Not really sure what to do with it now though as it's a laugh a mile but I'm not really getting enough miles on it due to the other bikes being a tad more usable everyday. Ho hum...nice to have such problems I guess.

Anyway, that's four of the five bikes, I'll leave the other one to another time... ohno

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Karl, thanks for sharing!

I actually had seen this bike some years back - but not in such detail. It does look like it's probably a hoot to ride! Yeah, nothing wrong at all with a Suzuki inline 4, that much is certain! Interesting frame too, guess that would have been heed behind bodywork on other models, yes?

The *actual* Minion behind the plexi screen with the dual headlamps makes the bike, IMO. smile

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/11/20 7:50 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, a fair bit of the frame and engine in the early bikes was hidden, though on later touring or road bikes it was all on show. A good looking motor really with all the finning, it's oil cooled btw.

This is how it would have originally looked when it left the factory. Most of the first year bikes went to production race teams in the UK so mine's likely a grey import from Japan.

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Red Rabbit Drive In, not far from home. I believe this roadside joint was featured in a TV show called Drive ins, Diners, & Dives? (or something like that) some years back.

Make The Red Rabbit A Habit

Shot on my gifted Praktica LTL camera with Film Ferrania's P30 film

W
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
W
Ricochet....I like those images. Can't help but think what you could do if you got into your own darkroom and did your own processing and printing. If you ever get up this way, as you thought you might, I'll show you how easy it is to get started with a small darkroom. Only trouble is that it might take time away from other things like motorcycles....My first darkroom was in '68 while I was going to art school, started to figure out how to do it at 7 PM and came out of the darkroom at 7 the next morning to find the sun coming up and my wife sleeping under the pile of clothes that I had taken out of the closet to make it into a tiny darkroom. It was no time before we moved to a two bedroom apartment so I could put together a proper darkroom. I got some P30 but haven't done my first roll yet as I've been up to my ears with darkroom work. Soon.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Wilfred
.... art school, started to figure out how to do it at 7 PM and came out of the darkroom at 7 the next morning to find the sun coming up and .....
Cheers, Wilf

My favorite time to print.... Turn on the music and print print print till the wee hours of the morning ...

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

W
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
W
amen to that...when I was younger and able to work up to 18 hour days, I often came out of the darkroom and hit the sack in the light of early morning..... I've got 4 darkroom orders waiting to be done this week so I guess that's where I'll be for the next while.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I met Robert Frank's black and white printer tonight hanging out with friends... Good stories flowing over a couple of beers. I love New York !!

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Latest pix are in. Tons of stuff to share- 10 rolls of film, out of which I got more than 100 "keepers". Not a lot of "Brit" content in this batch but I did get out to the vintage drapes and also to a vintage Harley chopper party

How about this hopped-up MG? Massive hemi engine in the car, it totally smoked every opponent in each race I saw it run. These guys have their sh*t dialed in tight!

How about this dude on this full custom Triumph? Designed & built to loosely resemble a Brough Superior. VERY cool bike.

Many folks who came into this chopper party weekend rode their bikes in (to west/central New Jersey) from as far away as Massachusetts or Connecticut . I think this was the Connecticut crew? Road ready, I caught them just as they were pulling out on Sunday. Most of us camped at a nearby campground as well. Lots of younger guys riding their bikes out there. This crew honestly means it. Most of them have connected with older, hardcore enthusiasts who then mentored the young/ns. Pretty cool stuff!

this guy rode his old Harley out from Brooklyn.

I'm having a REALLY good time getting to know some of the folks who are deeply involved in Mid Atlantic (or more local to me) car/bike culture. There's a massive scene around here in South Central PA that extends out into the universe. From our local South Mountain Raceway, the nearby Eastern Museum Of Motor Racing, the AMCA and other club events, to The Race Of Gentlemen in NJ, to Indian Larry and Brooklyn Bowl and other stuff going on in and around NYC, not to even mention the Antique Auto Club event in Hershey and the car stuff going on down in CArlsiel (PA)- there is just so much going on it's insane! It's super fun to be right at the heart of all this stuff, right at ground level too. These are real people riding and driving the snot out of real machines. It's a gas!

Thanks for popping by. Many more pix to come folks. Y'all stay "tuned".

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/27/20 12:42 pm.

1 member likes this: Bob E
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
From as far away as Massachusetts or Connecticut? I could ride that far and never leave Tennessee!

I do wish I still had my dark room, but I haven't used film in ages. I used to shoot HP5 and push the crap out of it to avoid using a flash. I do have some old negatives I'd like to print. I'd either have to go to Thompson's in Knoxville or use the negative adapter on my scanner.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Here's a round of color photos from my recent exploits. Medium format shots (square) made with my Hasselblad 500c on Fuji Provia 100f film. 35mm shots (rectangles) made with my Voigtlander R3m on Cinestill50D film

hot rod Lincoln, anyone? 12 cylinder flat head. SO cool.

a "whoopsie" but I like it

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/29/20 8:04 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well I'm either blessed, or cursed. I think, between the 2 choices, I'll go with blessed. A few years back, maybe 6 years? I bought a Triumph Thunderbird, 1966 6TA.

Turns out it wasn't complete, had kind of been tossed together out of similar looking parts, mostly the front end of the bike. So much for impulse buying, right? One thing led to another and it ended up OK but before too long I got somewhat disenchanted with the bike... with other bikes running and me being more excited about various other things in life, the ol' T-bird got neglected. Not long after I made the purchase however my buddy, bb.com's very own Dave M
alerted me to a post on a Triumph group page on [email protected] seems a lady there had inherited her father's bike- a 1966 Triumph 6TA Thunderbird. She made a post asking if anyone might be interested, and what does everyone think it's worth? Dave saw this and tagged me, I got ahold of her and I guess she was swamped by he pack of hyenas, who smelled easy prey- according to what she said today.

We she and I had a conversation about the bike, and right away she decided me & her dad would've gotten along. Back then, she had sure seemed ready to give the bike up to.... somebody. I wasn't certain if I was. in the running or not, no way of knowing for sure. She sort of suddenly went silent tho, abruptly ending our conversation without any further word- and I figured she'd sold the bike to somebody else.

Fast forward to just a couple weeks ago and a "memory" of mine popped up in my F b feed- a photo of my bike that I'd taken on a ride 5 years ago.

I re-posted it saying words to the effect of, "I wish I could get excited about this bike" . A few friends commented as they will, but one of the comments was from this lady, Dianne, saying "I really need to talk to you about this. I'll be in touch over the next few days" !!!

WHAT?!?!?

One thing led to another, she told me more about her dad, again saying she felt certain he & I would have gotten on well. She had posted some pix of him in a photo album on her page and I took a look... he looked like my kinda people for sure:

SO we chatted a bit via PM. Yes, she still had the bike, and from what she said today, I understand why she would have pulled away from all the meatheads trying to take advantage of her. She asked me to sit tight for a few days so she could sort her thoughts on the bike- and promised to be in touch. Next thing I know, she was back and telling me that she and her family (husband & son, as it happens) had had a lot of conversation about the bike, about the dad and about me- and had decided they wanted to GIVE me the bike! Honestly, I could not have been more stunned. We had never even gotten to a point of talking about how much it was "worth" or what she wanted for the bike, or anything nearing any sort of talk as there might be if a transaction was imminent. You could have knocked me over with a feather!

I gratefully accepted in writing, in [email protected]'s Messenger, and asked that she give me a minute to sort a time to come down (2.5 hours away) and pick up the bike. After some deliberation on the matter I decided sooner was better than later and it seems today was a good day.

< stay tuned for more >

1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo

1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
Wow, nice Tom! What are you going to do with it?

Josh
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi JD. Been thinking about you, brother how ya doing?

The loose plan is to pull parts from the new donor bike to bring my existing 6TA to stock condition. Lots of decisions to make regarding how "deep" to go, IE: full or partial restoration etc etc, and I'm in no particular rush.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
HA!!! I'm pretty darned sure my '60 Century Resorter woody boat had a "Cliff's Marine" sticker on it!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Born To Run
Born To Run
Kudos to Dianne. She couldn't have picked someone more worthy of it if she tried....

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Time for a bigger garage... Bikes are similar to rabbits ..... shocked

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by JubeePrince
Kudos to Dianne. She couldn't have picked someone more worthy of it if she tried....

Cheers,

Steve

aw shucks, Steve thanks brother.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Time for a bigger garage... Bikes are similar to rabbits ..... shocked

well I DO rent a garage down in New Cumberland. There was room for the bike to fit easily, but probably no room for others. I hear they only grow to the size to fit whatever space they live in anyway so pretty sure I'm "safe". laughing

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com