BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
D.Bachtel
D.Bachtel
SLO County, CA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#830390 11/19/20 11:13 pm
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
I have a tach, RSM 3003/06 (3-1) that I want to use on the Spitfire. seems like Im missing something when I thread the cable into the tach, it seems like the square drive on the cable does not go into anything on the tach. cable screws onto tach ok, but the drive in the tacho is missing??? looked into tach with a flashlight and dont see anything for drive to slide into, what am I missing. any ideas. I also need a new tach cable, the square drive down at the engine end is to small where it goes into tach drive on lower end at engine. does not engage the drive, thanks.

Last edited by Bob E; 11/19/20 11:15 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Hmm, there's a whole lot to unpack here:

1. The internal drive on the tachometer has to be there unless the tach case is empty. Does the gauge look normal from the front?
2. The drive is pretty easy to see: it's a small square within the larger mount where the cable goes. It should be visible with the naked eye.
3. The same square drive in the gauge is also present at the engine, with the square usually sticking out a bit.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I don't think I understand when you say the square is too small... the cable is too short or the size itself is too small? Could be that your tach drive (the square piece) is rounded out?

B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Marc. the drive at the engine side (just like your picture) is good, I had to buy all new parts because they were missing. the tach cable drive end that goes into this drive is to small, goes into it but just flops around, does not engage the square part of drive. the other end of cable, at the tach, screws onto the tach ok, but does not seem to be engaging the drive in the tach itself. I have to take a better look at the inside of tach with a flashlight again and see if there is any kind of drive in tach that im missing. think I have wrong cable for 1 problem.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If you remove the inner cable from the tacho outer sleeve, does either end fit with either component?

It sounds like your cable is a crappy one tbh. I got fed up with cables that would fall apart and since buy mine from Vintage cables in Canada.

Vintage British Cables website

Last edited by Allan G; 11/21/20 7:24 am. Reason: Added link

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: Beach
Allan G #830824 Yesterday at 09:54 PM
B
Bob E Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks Allen, going to order new cable from VBC.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books