BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
jimmymckenna
jimmymckenna
Scotland, UK
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#830265 11/18/20 11:39 pm
J
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
J
I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. I purchased a BSA Spitfire that is titled as a 1967. If what I read is correct the engine number 65S13260 is 1966. This is also the number on the frame. It got me wondering because the side covers seem to be 1966 as they have the badges and not decals. It’s my understanding that if it were a 1966 that is titled as a 1967, then would the frame have a different number then the engine? Is it possible that some 67’s had leftover 66 engines? Or engine cases?

72 Commando, 97 BMW R1100RS, 67 BSA Spitfire,
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
Looks like it's a 66 titled as a 67. It was common practice back in the day that the bikes were titled as the year they were sold.

Check your rear brake backing plate if it is chromed steel and not aluminum that would definitely make it an early 66 as the backing plates went to aluminum in 67.

Also if the brake and clutch levers are steel that would be another indicator of a 66, although they could have been changed out over the years. 67 and up had the alloy AMAL levers with the star adjuster.

If you are a collector then in my view the 66 is the one to have, if it has the AMAL GP carbs still on it you are in luck.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
thats a high number .
is the frame marked A50 or A65 ?
I was under the impression that frames prefexed A50 were used
through the 1966 production year .

J
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
J
The frame is A65 and matches engine number. What is throwing me off is the number being A65S and not A65Sa. I thought 67 models were a65sa?

S
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by quinten
thats a high number .
is the frame marked A50 or A65 ?
I was under the impression that frames prefexed A50 were used
through the 1966 production year .
The 1966 Spitfire production started with A50 frame numbers, but switched to matching engine and frame numbers during the season.

That's not something I investigated during my little sojourn to the VMCC library, but Gary E may have.

J
Novice poster
OP Offline
Novice poster
J
It does have steel clutch and brake levers. The brake backing plate is chromed steel. The carbs were replaced with Concentrics. Maybe I should try to source the original carbs, This bike seems mostly original and complete.

S
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Jared2271
The carbs were replaced with concentrics. Maybe I should try to source the original carbs, This bike seems mostly original and complete.
GPs are as scarce as hens' teeth and aren't especially road-friendly, so stick with the Concentrics for riding. If you can find a good pair of GPs, they would be great for static displays and concours entries.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe worth a look at my thread in British Motorcycles in General on 11/02/2020 titled "Speedo/Tacho Reference Numbers".
As part of a job lot there were 4 GP carbs.
I bought the job lot to get two of the speedos/tachos so I am open to dispose of the GP carbs if you are interested.

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Like Shane says, it was during what we would call the 66 run that they changed the numbering system. I have 66 bikes numbered both ways. And I've also had two 67 bikes which were originally titled as 68s.

S
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Tridentman
I bought the job lot to get two of the speedos/tachos so I am open to dispose of the GP carbs if you are interested.
GP carb parts are equally as hard to come by, but those would be great for display purposes.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books