BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Ianbuck
Ianbuck
London, UK
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
I got a decent A65 tank for my A10 special....Yes, I can deal with fitting it. I need the rubber U shaped supports, are they all the same? I was told it's a Lightning tank...it appears to be about 2 1/2 or so gallons, single screw badges, 3/8 pipe thread cocks and the wing nut fuel cap. Thanks

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not all the same but some differences are not of consequence, ie some now come with the notches to clear the frame gusset plates on both front and rears where BSA only fitted these to the front and had a version with no notches for the rear. Thickness varies between steel tank sizes and also fibre glass tanks and this needs to be right.

Best start is to find the parts book for that tank which will give you part numbers and then go from there, hopefully the top frame member is the same diameter A10 to A65.

Off the top of my head this is likely to work.

https://www.bsaunitsingles.com/item.wws?sku=82-9747

I can supply dimensions.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I have an A65 tank on my A10 using homemade rubber supports: stack strips of old inner tube held together with rubber cement.

Craig Zaspel

T100R
BSA A10
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
I like it. Reuse, recycle, repurpose. Britbiker livin' green.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hbb, For what it's worth, the diameter of the A65 spine is 1.685".

The front rubber is 1 1/4" high from the frame by 2 1/4" wide.
The rear rubber is 3/4" high from the frame by 2 1/4" wide.

These rubber measurements are for a '67 fuel tank.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Thanks Mark....The 61 A10 frame spine is 1.630, the Lightning tank I have has a 2 1/4 wide tunnel that measures 18 3/4 long.The tank overall is just under 20 inches long. With the tank pushed againt the steering neck the rear of the tank won't drop down where the frame rear section is welded on...I sectioned the tank for clearance and brazed in sheet metal, the modification doesn't show....
I added the tank rubbers to an existing order at Feked...This bike is being built from BSA , Triumph and even modern Honda parts....I deserve the luxury of ready made tank supports, lol...

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The ability to braze certainly offers possibilities, ey? I don't know if the handlebar mounts angle back like on an A65, but you may want to check clearance there, stop-to-stop (if you haven't already).

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
knuckle head
OP Offline
knuckle head
Mark, I fitted a 2000 Honda 600CBR front fork assembly with an A65 single side brake drum wheel , a whole different set of rules..I did check clearane and fabricated fork stops.The frame is uncut...There's a few mock up photos in the Modified forum, more to be posted shortly....

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ok, I went over and looked at the pictures. I should have known you had more going on than a simple tank swap! smile

Mark Z

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books