Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#829749 11/13/20 9:18 pm
R
raf940 Online Content OP
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
R

made from airplane motor there's a part 1 but this shows him on it

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero

1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
F
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
F
That is a fascinating bike, and a total craftsman masterpiece. Although the rider position is compromised. I'm sure its handling characteristics are less than optimal, e.g. slow turning, limited turn radius, etc., but certainly not any worse than some Harleys.
I enjoyed seeing this video. Thanks for sharing it.
Fullminator

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Thought 1 - The man's a mechanical genius, although he commented on his plastic gas can spout and I saw he had cracked spark plug boots ... and PERFECT metalwork on that bike! Go figure!

Thought 2 - I wish he had someplace to ride it other than tiny lanes and High Streets and show us "wottle she do mister?"

Thought 3 - I'd love to have a bike with that kind of workmanship and mechanical "presence", just not with pistons the size of 5 gallon buckets .... !!

Thanks!

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
Thought 2 - I wish he had someplace to ride it other than tiny lanes and High Streets and show us "wottle she do mister?"

You would send the poor bloke to an early grave?

The ignition switch says "CONTACT" - love it!

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Some blokes will do anything to get a bike to idle at 20 rpm. laughing
So, when the engine dies at a stop light you must retard ignition and fish the lever from under the petrol tank, then hope it stays running long enough with sooty plugs to stash the lever?

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Don't stop!

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Allen has made many amazing bikes
Honda SS50 V twin
Kawasaki 2 stroke triples made into 2 cylinders, 4 cylinders and 5 cylinders including a 4 cylinder watercooled
Velocette MAC V twin
Kawasaki Z1000 based 6
Kawasaki Z1000 based V8
Kawasaki Z1300 based V12
V10 viper
Honda 6 replica

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Made in England, by a man in his shed. Good starting procedure!

Take one Merlin engine, cut off two cylinders and build a motorcycle around it.

[Linked Image from dn3bmh8yk8vvw.cloudfront.net]

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Making an unrideablke unbalanced and probably highly dangerous motorcycle from an aircraft engine is some what old
hat.
Been doing it since WWI when obsolete engines became available for their scrap price .
Interesting exercise for apprentices .
I can remeber at least a dozen down here made from either the front or rear 2 cylinders of a Merlin .
All of them at least started and some even ran, there was a drag bike circulating for while ( very quickly ).
But in reality just a case of "look at me see how smart I am '
Like all those clots who shoehroned a V* car engine into a motorcycle frame.
For some insane reason the motorcycle press go gar gars over them when in reality they have no significance to motorcycling at all .
Any old idiot can bolt some wheels on an engine & call it a motorcycle but it takes a different level of real engineering skills to make it a real, functional motorcycle .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
grin

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Take one Merlin engine, cut off two cylinders and build a motorcycle around it.

[Linked Image from dn3bmh8yk8vvw.cloudfront.net]

Wait a minute, thats Lucky Keizer.
That thing was built in a shed just down the road from here.
If you hear it on song and with some throttle, you can feel it in every bone in your body...
https://www.facebook.com/brosRMotorsportandCustoms/videos/462735553863148/

He tried it out on the salt somewhere too, with streamlining, but it wasn't fast enough !

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Originally Posted by Rohan
Wait a minute, thats Lucky Keizer.
That thing was built in a shed just down the road from here.
The later versions might have been, but he was still living in Dubbo when he built the original.

Life member
Life member
Yep, ditto.

As I'm a Dubbo boy, we all knew Lucky as a local legend and yes he made this (if its the same one) while there. My dad who serviced RR Merlins during WWII and met Lucky at the local IAME (Institute of Automotive and Mechanical Engineers) was a bit horrified.

This bike was on display at the Bulli show last year and was started, although I wasn't there at that point in time.

I remember Lucky turning up to a race meeting at the local short circuit track (Morris Park), c1980 when we we all rode rice rocket MX bikes, with a pommy scrambler. Most people sneered at it. It was either a B50 or CCM if my dim memory half works.

Cheers
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Getting back to Alan Millyard's creations, he tends to take English understatement to extremes in his videos.

Despite the "oh, I just cut them into bits with a hacksaw and TIG welded them back together" pitch, there is a massive amount of measurement and setup involved.
Engineering-wise, the cut and shut parts won't be anywhere near as strong as the cast or forged originals, but the things are technically interesting and must be immense fun for him to make.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
The v twin velo is a lovely thing. Neat and compact plus it looks the 30's part.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
Engineering-wise, the cut and shut parts won't be anywhere near as strong as the cast or forged originals, .

Mmmm, that remains to be seen. And may need seeing to comment.
But a good strong TIG fillet weld of something like thin-wall crankcase castings could actually be stronger than the original bits ? Depending on the quality of the weld and the operator.

When I did a TIG welding course, the test for quality welding was that we stuck the welded bits in a press, and pressed away. If it broke across the weld anyplace, that was a fail. If it broke all across the parent metal, that was a good, and a pass. Grinding away most of the fillet weld to make it 'pretty' was a recipe for reducing the strength, big time.

Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Engineering-wise, the cut and shut parts won't be anywhere near as strong as the cast or forged originals, .

But a good strong TIG fillet weld of something like thin-wall crankcase castings could actually be stronger than the original bits ?

That's true. How many times have we found that the chemical bond between thread surfaces in a threaded fastener can actually be stronger than the molecular bonds between the metals that they're joining? Even a large bolt or stud can be so tightly seized together that the base metal will fracture before the seized joint will? And we didn't even design the bond, it formed as part of the oxidation process ...

In the process we used in the factory where I used to work, weldments were found in many cases to be far stronger and more consistent than castings ...

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
There's more: man uses hacksaw and file to create a five cylinder two stroke engine

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Some thing must have changed since I read then taught metallurgy
So there is a type of weld now days that is not made by the solidification of a molten metal ?
Or is there a casting that does not come about by molten metal cooling & going hard ?

Bike Beesa
Trevor
DOPE
DOPE
Grinding away most of the fillet weld to make it 'pretty' was a recipe for reducing the strength, big time.

i shall quote you from now on when people laugh at my welding.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B

But a good strong TIG fillet weld of something like thin-wall crankcase castings could actually be stronger than the original bits ? Depending on the quality of the weld and the operator.

When I did a TIG welding course, the test for quality welding was that we stuck the welded bits in a press, and pressed away. If it broke across the weld anyplace, that was a fail. If it broke all across the parent metal, that was a good, and a pass. Grinding away most of the fillet weld to make it 'pretty' was a recipe for reducing the strength, big time.

The tensile strenght is all about the cross sectional area which is generally thicker than the thinner parent .
From memory it was a square function that came out at around 1.5 thicker .

But there is more to it than tensile strength as the weld being a casting is not particularly flexiable and welds failing by fatigue at the weld parent interface in service is very common and then these is stress corrosion if the weld alloy is not a very good chemical match to the parent metal , let alone oxidation state differentials and electrochemical corrosion potential cause by the variation in the grain structure fom the heat affected zone, through the weld to the HAZ on the other side .

As for Lannis's comment, from any one else I would have put it down to lack of understanding of the mechanics of a thread and corrosion but in his case it is him trolling for an argument .

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com