BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
RPM
RPM
Dallas Texas
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Last year I inherited all of my dads bikes and I kept his A10 and sold the others as I live in the USA and he was in the UK. Anyway the A10 that I kept says on the log book that it is a Road Rocket and the year is 1959 but I am led to believe that thr Road Rocket was only made up to 1957. I believe this bike is not an original so I have the engine number (in the photo) can someone shed some light on it for me.
I am also going to purchase one of the AMAL Premier carbs for it but I want to make sure I buy the correct carb with the correct jets. I will need to know the year and actual model of the bike so that I get the right carb and jetting.[Linked Image]

IMG_7184.JPG
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Seems to be a 63 motor, Start of 63 was DA10 R8197 for several models, RGS Spitfire and SR. the last year of the A10 motor.
Better than the 59 version, stronger crank and barrels.
There seems to be an S in the middle.
HHC , is high compression.
Carb would be a TT9.If SR or Spitfire
Easier to use a 389 Monobloc. Fitted to RGS, 1 5/32 " , 310 main jet , No3 slide, pilot 25, Needle jet 106, needle position 2
Details per R bacon. YMMV

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
i like gavin answer better ,
but it could be a 56 engine with an altered C

i think the "D" in DA10 ... may have started live as a "C"

... there's been a half good attempt at scrubbing out an an "s" ( makes you forget about the other funk)
the 8 after the R is certainly funky , but could be original .

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
There appears to be a faint 'S' between the '0' and the 'R', although the 'R' seems to be too close to the engine sequence.

That doesn't tally with the Spitfire Scrambler numbers, so it might just be me seeing something which isn't there.

DA10R 8325 would make it a 1963 model, either Super Rocket or Rocket Gold Star.

Carb setting are very similar for all of the late model alloy head A10 models in any case, so 1962 or 1963 would be a good starting point. A lot can have changed in the engine in the intervening 60-odd years, so the factory carb setup will really be a good starting point rather than set in stone.

Do you have pictures of the bike? We're all sticky-beaks and like to see nice machines.

J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks!
[Linked Image]

IMG_0213.jpg
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Nice. That looks like it's been built to Rocket Gold Star spec, and may even be an RGS.

I'd have gone out of my way to keep that as well.

The right-angle drive for the rev counter was replaced by a drive from the front of the inner timing cover by 1963, but it certainly looks the part more than the later setup.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
It certainly looks like an RGS from 6 feet.
A genuine RGS would have come with the full width 190mm front brake. RGS footrests would be rear set, the pic shows stock rests.

Some things to look at.

The front brake actuating arm angle suggests it is worn out, if you intend to ride the bike have this checked, get "vintage brake" to reline the brake shoes. The single sided 8" brake can work very well, better than the fancy 190
Study the flanged alloy wheel rims, they look like Borranis to me, original RGS ally rims would be Dunlops which have a slightly smaller flange.
The HT leads from the plug run forward?, perhaps the Magneto is not std?
To date the frame you will need to find the number , it should be stamped near the headstock.
Look at the top of the gearbox casting RHS , the numbers stamped there will tell a lot, it might be STD , or have other script,
the hot option was RRT2 ( in the UK), T2 referred to needle rollers in the box, where STD had bushes, other combos are likely.
A true RGS has some subtleties to the motor mounts, probably your bike started as a road rocket and got upgraded over the years.

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
1 member likes this: kommando
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The shoes can be brand new and the brake arm in the wrong position, if after you inspect the shoes and they have enough meat on them then you can remove the arm from the actuating shaft. There will be a star where the arm fits the actuating shaft square which allows it to be repositioned in increments and they are set so if you turn the arm over the same star gives positions 1/2 way between those when it was turned the original way giving finer adjustment. You want the arm to be just short of 90 degrees to the cable with the brake lever pulled in. Currently its already well past that point, the harder you pull the less leverage you get in the current setup.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
to add, the square section on these arms should be that you can flip the arm over to gain adjustment so you can achieve what Kommando has stated above, many folks just go with whats easier to fit without knowing why.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks for all of the replies! I know that dad built this bike up as an RGS replica, I should have paid more attention to what he started out with back then.
The frame number is FA714972.
As far as the front brake is concerned, you are all of course right about the angle it should be mounted at but this is the best front brake of any british bike I've ridden. Admittedly all of the others were a bit older than the A10. Dad liked the older bikes better. He built this one because it was easier for him to ride with his mates on their club rides.
And fyi it does have the Boyer ignition on it.
Here is the bike now in sunny California.
[Linked Image]

IMG_4936.jpg
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Your frame number is 1958. Great bike, enjoy.

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
1 member likes this: johnu
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
As per the earlier posts, that engine number is suspect with a capital S
As the bike is titled , & together go ride it and remember your dad and all the good times with every mile that passes under the wheels .

It will become a problem if you sell it so leave it to your most worrysome child so it becomes their problem.
AFAIK BSA stamped the engine model into the crankcase once they were machined .
As such the DA10R should be together as a block so on the engine line every one knew this was a Rocket engine thus it did not end up with a single carb iron head on it .
The sequence number ( Serial to some ) is the 8325 bit and got stamed on at a latter date.
I still have not been able to establish when it was done as there are 2 distinct camps , one saying it was when the engine was fitted to the frame & the others claim it was done by the despatch department prior to wrapping & despatch.
To me the "5" apears to be wrong font style and does not match the rest of the numbers

In either it is suspect.
The apparent S is even more confusing as BSA only put an S in an A 10 model number for the 52/53 Super Flash which was a plunger so definitely not your dads engine or the latter Spitfire Scrambler ( CA10SR / DA10SR ) .
IF my guess that the 5 is wrong then it is in the right numbering sequence to have originally been a Spitfire Scrambler .

Noce bike just the same .
Hope it is as pleasing on the road as it is to the eye .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I'd be looking at a set of front brake shoes if it were mine.
Fully floating the shoes also makes the front brake actually work.
Otherwise a lovely looking bike.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
+1 on the brakes, these things could be quick.and heavy.
If th ignition depends on the dynamo to charge the battery, get familiar with the dynamo, clean the brushes and the comm regularly, every oil change, keep the lights off till dark. Charge the battery if left sitting .

Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Trevor, there was also an "S" in the swinging arm Super Flash's number. CA10 S XXXX

J
johnu Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
+1 on the brakes, these things could be quick.and heavy.
If th ignition depends on the dynamo to charge the battery, get familiar with the dynamo, clean the brushes and the comm regularly, every oil change, keep the lights off till dark. Charge the battery if left sitting .
Front brakes are actually very decent but that doesn't mean I won't look into the suggestions from you guys:) I've not had any battery issues luckily!

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by trevinoz
Trevor, there was also an "S" in the swinging arm Super Flash's number. CA10 S XXXX
Thanks Trev
Very important that what gets posedis correct .
So I just learned some thing again
I thought all the Super Flashes were all plungers which is why I omitted them from the reply.
The supposed S looks more like the remains of an 8 to me and that 5 is real suspect .
Looks like there is a serif on the end and AFAIK BSA never used serif stamps for engine numbers .
Or to put it another way th only time I have seen a serifed font it was on an altered number.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books