BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
D.Bachtel
D.Bachtel
SLO County, CA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ok on the model A10 with the left hand threaded axel (front wheel) how are you supposed to remove the LHS bearing , the one opposite the brake drum

looking at it it has notches in the hub (inside where the spokes go) so i figured it must screw out .......i bashed it with a drift (punch) in both directions and it showed no intension of moving .......ive looked for an assembly drawing on google but cant find one

any ideas? ........like is it ACTUALY threaded or not?

the brg on that side feels ok but i was able to replace the bad one on the drum side but i know not having done both will irritate me so intend doing the other when i can .......the wheel has to come off again as some comedian has not fitted the brake side threaded retainer so will need to make and fit one just for peace of mind

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
You need the service sheets, they are around as pdf's.

There are split pins that stop the rings unscrewing. parts list shows them.

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.p...-inch-front-half-width-alloy-brake-plate

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I made a tool to fit into the notches. Also the A10 Forum is a useful source of information, https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php

Craig Zaspel

T100R
BSA A10
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Cool got it thanks guys .........figured it was a screw in retainer ....so yeah i will be more "persuasive" of it when i take the wheel off again........didnt see a spit pin but will look again ......like if the guy before me didnt even re fit the lock ring i guess the split pin would have been left out as well

is the one im talking about (rhs) a left or right hand thread?

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
does anyone have a comment to my question "is the one im talking about (rhs) a left or right hand thread?
"
I know i have a parts book somewhere but cant find it i am aware of service sheets and probably dont need to be told about them over several threads thanks

besides which those links dont work....i thought the point of a forum was to help each other out by answering questions not just being dismissive , but im strange like that

MY question remains ........is the LHS (opposite brake front wheel ) bearing retainer a LH or RH thread ? thanks

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think we need more details, e.g. what year is your bike, full or half width brake, 7" or 8" brake, plunger suspension etc.

Without any of these facts its going to be hard for anyone to give advise.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
The links work for me, if its a full width hub the LHS does not have a bearing retainer it has a dust seal which prizes out.
The RHS retainer is a left hand thread.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
its this one
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.p...-inch-front-half-width-alloy-brake-plate

alloy plate half width .8" A10 ......golden flash plunger

I am asking about the treaded retainer on the LHS is it threaded right OR left hand

well Gavin there is definitely something retaining the brg see diagram in first answer showing assembly drg from dragnfly

i have tried a drift but cant budge the ****er

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think you’ve answered your own question although your link didn’t work.

If you had read down from the image you would have seen the relevant part numbers, one stating left hand (67-5561 brake plate side) and the other stating right hand (67-5562 the other side).

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Does it look like this pic which is the 8" half width type as used on BSA 1949-63 A, B, M models?

[Linked Image from draganfly.co.uk]

This diagram shows the spindle 67-5566 which is 9/16 in X 20 TPI left-hand thread as mentioned in your initial post, more info Here

The bearing retaining ring is part 67-5561 and in all the google searches I've done for this part, there is no mention of it being a left hand thread, although its intended for the left hand wheel side so maybe thats where the confusion comes from.

My guess is that its a right hand thread so I would be trying to undo it that way.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gunner
Does it look like this pic which is the 8" half width type as used on BSA 1949-63 A, B, M models?

[Linked Image from draganfly.co.uk]

This diagram shows the spindle 67-5566 which is 9/16 in X 20 TPI left-hand thread as mentioned in your initial post, more info Here

The bearing retaining ring is part 67-5561 and in all the google searches I've done for this part, there is no mention of it being a left hand thread, although its intended for the left hand wheel side so maybe thats where the confusion comes from.

My guess is that its a right hand thread so I would be trying to undo it that way.

yes that is the one Gunner .......of course they have drawn it mirror image just to do your head in more .....note the brake is drawn on the left hand side of the page

67-5561 is the one im talking about ........you recon that would be the normal RH thread ? i will give it some less gentle assistance and see if i can persuade it to move

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I have the half width front wheel on the 57 A10. The retainer is LHT. Also the Haynes book says LH, for what its worth.

Craig Zaspel

T100R
BSA A10
1 member likes this: Allan G

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books