BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
jimmymckenna
jimmymckenna
Scotland, UK
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#829767 11/14/20 12:41 am
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Hi all.
I’ve noticed that the chaincase level screw hole bears no relation at all to the recommended oil capacity of about 150cc. The hole is not obstructed, yet with 250cc of oil in the case none comes out of the level hole.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Bike is a 1970 A50.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Online Sleepy
Britbike forum member
I've only had earlier A65s, without the overflow hole. Never had a problem using the specified 140-150cc of oil (actually prefer ATF).

Have you tried the overflow with the bike on the side stand? Just a thought...

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Maybe the front of the bike is higher than the back, possibly because of different wheel sizes or tyres?

I guess you could try placing the bike on a gentle gradient and see if that helps.

If you still cant get the oil level hole to work just fill it with with the recommended amount, ride around for a bit then drain the oil using the drain screw, hopefully the same amount should come out as went in.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
As long as the bottom run of the primary chain is dipping in the oil I wouldn't worry

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Most people with a65's moan about the large amount of oil that comes out of them rather
than little or none, don't worry about it.

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Thanks for your replies - and your interest.
I have noticed that increased oil level = increased oil droolage. I ask myself whether this is due to the chain oiler or the chaincase mainshaft bush seal. Bloody hope not; it’s only done 900 miles since it was replaced during the engine rebuild.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books