BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Ianbuck
Ianbuck
London, UK
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Couldn't you just use a Charlie filter in a bottom of your main frame tube like Triumph's guys do?
In my pre OIF BSA I installed a Norton filter low using my engine mounting plates connected by a filter bracket it was invisible and in a right position to not spill oil when changing it. Only problem was you have to lay under a bike to change oil

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
S
S-NJ-W Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
What a great set of photos. I still think the Paul Goff kit must mount in the same way.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
Couldn't you just use a Charlie filter in a bottom of your main frame tube like Triumph's guys do?
I know they work on Triumph's, but on this one I'm in total agreement with SRM's statement that you do not want any restriction in the flow of oil from the tank to the pump, which will increase the longer the filter's in place doing it's job. Additionally the external filter adds a bit of oil capacity and cooling.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm with Adam, the head pressure of oil above the filter would mean that flow through the filter isn't an issue. I think Tridentman (?) once did a flow comparrison and found no difference, I also know of a guy in Aus who has one in an A65.

However, its not just a case of blocking a pipe off, it would need to be removed completely and then the hole blanked off. On my Thunderbolt OIF I was going to do this, I had completed all the other mods also, then I found another frame (Lightning) with NOVA and it was in better condition and had all the cover plates and filters which I didn't have with the other frame... So I decided to keep it stock.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have no hard information on the BSA oil pump.
However on the Triumph twin standard oil pump the oil pressure drop across the Charlies filter at 6000 rpm is much less than the static head of the oil in the OIF reservoir. This is due to both the low oil flow rate and the large area of the pleated paper filter.
So the head of oil is pushing oil through the filter faster than the oil pump needs it.
Add to which many thousands of Triumphs have had this type of filter fitted with no ill effects reported.
Finally if you are still unconvinced some guys actually fir two filter elements-- one on top of the other---with a longer through stud.
As to the filter becoming clogged---yes--this is possible if you are a dumbo and dont change the oil and filter regularly.
And dont forget the advantage of the Charlies filter compared with a return line filter.
The return line filter gives you clean oil back to the oil tank.
The Charlies filter gives you clean oil into the engine.
And if you like belts and braces--dont forget that these bikes have two oil pumps-- a supply and return.
You could fit both a Charlies filter and a return line filter.
HTH

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
If I remember correctly, the oil tube is brazed so taking it out and brazing over the hole should be relatively easy.
I mounted a Norton type filter head by welding a vertical flat bar to the right rear engine plate. A U bent tube routed the outlet up to the frame return.
I would not be too concerned about feeding the rockers with unfiltered oil. They are normally fed that way and the restrictor in the head limits how much oil will not be filtered.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Try looking at it from SRM's point of view, they supply converted/rebuilt engines,
they do not have the option to select intelligent or stupid customers so they have
to assume everyone is an idiot. I wouldn't mind betting that Gary and co. have had
people do all sorts of daft things over the years so have to issue statements like,
'don't fit a restricted oil feed line'. Rather than statements like 'If your IQ is below 50 don't attempt this job'.

Having dealt with some people like it in my line of work, i can see where they are
coming from. I've seen blokes try to switch ac mains with transistors and similar,
entertaining stuff but just proving how thick some people are.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Do they advise the same in the case of Triumph?
I only ask because of the different types of pumps used.

The Triumph pump, for all its shortcomings, wears well and develops good suction on its inlet even after many 10’s of thousands of miles use, so can easily handle a Charlies filter with cold oil.

I see no reason why a good BSA gear pump shouldn’t do the same (and we are talking about a new SRM pump).

Of course if the filter isn’t changed reasonably frequently, it will cause problems in either situation.

I think the argument that oil should be filtered on the way to the crank rather than returning from it is largely specious and mainly based on automotive wet-sump necessities.
If the oil in the tank is pure to start with, a return filter will keep it that way (other than discolouration), so the oil to the engine is clean.

As said, no harm in having filters in both lines, if you enjoy the expense and bother.
Something to brag about at the pub, when next allowed to go there!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Stuff can get into the oil tank when it is being topped up/ level checked.
The oil tank itself seems to collect a lot of gunge over time.
Better to make sure that you have protection to stop this stuff getting into the engine IMHO.
After all it is the engine where you most want clean oil.
Just my two cents worth.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Another consideration is that people are more likely to change a spin on filter
than remove the sump plate etc. Human nature, most people are lazy. (like me!)
You will get gunge building up with both filters fitted over time, the oil filters are
not fine enough to filter everything out and it will settle in the tank.
A filter in either line is more than the factory did so will be an improvement.
On the a65/a10 etc with a plain bush main, it's more important than most.
That's my two cents worth.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books