BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Phil in Germany
Phil in Germany
Duesseldorf/Germany
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi all,
I've just tried to purchase some fork bushes and seals for my Norton 850 from one of my frequent suppliers on eBay only to be told that I'm now on their blocked list of purchasers. I enquired why this was the case as I couldn't recall having any difficulties with previous purchases.
This was their response:-

"We share our eBay exclusion list with a number of other motorbike shops and vice versa.
We don't store the reasons why people are on the exclusion list but we have this reciprocal agreement in place to protect ourselves and our trading partners from charge backs.
Common reasons to have been added to the exclusion list are claiming an item hasn't arrived or sending an item back as "not as described" but the item supplied being exactly as described, or not allowing enough time for a delivery to arrive before creating a chargeback request and getting a refund.
This most probably occurred with a trading partner but it is part of our reciprocal agreement that we can't remove people from the exclusion list for transitions that occur via eBay. This is due to eBay's unfair policy towards sellers which leaves them with very little rights in transactions now-a-days. Apologies"

Whilst I have some sympathy for the above stated reasons, the only item that I returned to another vendor was a grabrail for a Triumph T150 that was clearly manufactured incorrectly with the longer attachment arm on the wrong side.

It would appear that an eBay return, even if it is justified could get you on this exclusion list which is shared with a number of other motorbike shops with no recourse to appeal. The two UK vendors involved in this tale are Nortonbits and Triumphtwinspares so beware.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nortonbits are Norvil in disguise so no loss there as I could not trust the bearded one as far as you could throw him, seen plenty of good parts on Triumphtwinspares but always priced at a stress level eg as if it was the last one so no loss there either.

I used to be a seller on eBay but it went to far in the seller's favour, if the sellers in this exclusion list are all like Norvil can I join without buying wink

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
This may explain why the eBay seller who calls himself "Mach IV " in Appleton WI, will no longer deal with me, although we had a good buyer-seller relationship in the past (despite his often outrageously high prices.)

In fact, I have had long-term eBay relationships with several sellers, and I have never returned anything to any of them, because I am careful in what I order,
If I make a mistake I swallow it, but there have been less than a dozen of those in 20 years of eBay deals, and none of any great cost to me.

IF this is the case, then one spiteful seller can poison the well among others for ANY reason, or NO reason at all, and get away with it, giving NO explanation for his actions, and no explanations from the other sellers his claim has contaminated.

If eBay permits this type of character assassination, legal action may be necessary.

At least Servodyne got a reply from eBay. I never did.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I actually got the reply from Nortonbits which I must admit, I wasn't expecting.

You're right, this is a form of character assassination which can put you on a widespread exclusion list simply for returning an item that wasn't fit for purpose.

I'm not sure what can be done about it though.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
The only recourse I can see is to discover which vendors are on that list and boycott.
IMO it's a form of extortion in that if you can be placed on the list for no known reason, it may deter you from writing a negative review for a given shop, even when one is warranted.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I had a similar experience with “heritage motorcycle
Parts” or what ever name they go by now. This was some 13 years ago. I bought some new head light brackets of her, they arrived and the tabs Where they meet the bottom yoke were already split. So I sent them back, I asked if they had any that weren’t Wassel ones and they did the “ oh these must have slipped the net, we don’t sell any wassel ones” and she agreed to swap them (I had already spent a lot of money with them simply because their despatch was quite quick) the new set arrived, exactly the same with splits in the same place and a wassel label in the bag.

I tried to return them to her and she refused to accept delivery so they came back. She then blocked me so I couldn’t make contact nor buy anything else if I wanted to. (I only know this because I went to buy something a few years later and didn’t realise who the seller was). I ended up selling them at an auto jumble, presumably the buyer liked the fact they were shiny rather than the quality.

Some sellers are real [***] bags about who don’t know anything about the consumer rights act 2015 (UK) and proper selling practices... so if they pull this kind of stunt.... they really don’t deserve your business and you don’t deserve to suffer their crap.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Kommando's note about "Norvil" reminded me of a problem I had with him ONCE (and ONLY "once,") about 15 years ago, when I ordered what he claimed was a "Lucas" ammeter, by using his own catalog which listed it under the Lucas part number.

But what arrived here wasn't "Lucas."

When I notified him of it, all I got was a nasty reply.

Once burned, well learned. That's me.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Are eBay aware of the shared exclusion list? For the UK, there could be data protection issues here, particularly if real names and addresses are being shared.

2 members like this: kommando, kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
This may explain why the eBay seller who calls himself "Mach IV " in Appleton WI, will no longer deal with me, although we had a good buyer-seller relationship in the past (despite his often outrageously high prices.)

In fact, I have had long-term eBay relationships with several sellers, and I have never returned anything to any of them, because I am careful in what I order,
If I make a mistake I swallow it, but there have been less than a dozen of those in 20 years of eBay deals, and none of any great cost to me.

IF this is the case, then one spiteful seller can poison the well among others for ANY reason, or NO reason at all, and get away with it, giving NO explanation for his actions, and no explanations from the other sellers his claim has contaminated.

If eBay permits this type of character assassination, legal action may be necessary.

At least Servodyne got a reply from EBAY. I never did.
That guy's an idiot(Machiv). Bought lots of parts from them and then one day, BANNED from buying. Requested an explanation and nothing but crickets

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Just sign up to evilly again with a different user name & email address
Just like vendors who ge tossed off & turn up again a day latter with a new nam. nothing to stop buyers doing the same thing.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Just sign up to evilly again with a different user name & email address...
Unfortunately you would also need to change the delivery address.
Gets to be a bit of a PITA.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
For the UK, there could be data protection issues here, particularly if real names and addresses are being shared.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/does-an-organisation-need-my-consent/

I read the link I just posted, there is no lawful reason for sharing data without that person's permission between companies on the basis of 'problem' customers. The example of permitted sharing was where a person in A&E was on death's door.

Also eBay warn sellers to meet the requirements of GDPR.

https://www.eBay.co.uk/help/selling...20selling%20on%20eBay&intent=privacy

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kommando
Also eBay warn sellers to meet the requirements of GDPR.

https://www.eBay.co.uk/help/selling...20selling%20on%20eBay&intent=privacy

eBay couldn't give a flying **** these days about customers that go through their site. They did at one time but now they don't.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Doesn't matter what eBay think, if they do not take the required action then a small claims court action will attract their attention.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kommando
Doesn't matter what Ebay think, if they do not take the required action then a small claims court action will attract their attention.

I would think that any small claims court judgement against eBay would be like a flea biting at an elephant's arse

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

1 member likes this: Allan G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I just had a chat line with eBay and this was their response:-

03:50:11 UTC Cedrick
Hi! Welcome to eBay Live Help, my name is Cedrick. Please allow me a few moments to review your previous chat.

03:52:02 UTC Cedrick
Hi, I understand that you are concerned about your eBay username being shared, may I know where you got informed that it was being shared?

03:53:08 UTC servo_dyne
I enquired with a trader called Nortonbits and this was his reply:- We share our eBay exclusion list with a number of other motorbike shops and vice versa. We don't store the reasons why people are on the exclusion list but we have this reciprocal agreement in place to protect ourselves and our trading partners from charge backs. Common reasons to have been added to the exclusion list are claiming an item hasn't arrived or sending an item back as "not as described" but the item supplied being exactly as described, or not allowing enough time for a delivery to arrive before creating a chargeback request and getting a refund. This most probably occurred with a trading partner but it is part of our reciprocal agreement that we can't remove people from the exclusion list for transitions that occur via eBay. This is due to eBay's unfair policy towards sellers which leaves them with very little rights in transactions now-a-days. Apologies

03:54:28 UTC Cedrick
Noted, thanks. Let me just check here. please give me a minute or two to check okay?

03:55:10 UTC servo_dyne
ok

04:00:16 UTC Cedrick
All good with checking and This may have happened outside of eBay as the communication the seller was pertaining to. Sellers have GDPR obligations when selling on eBay You can learn more about it at https://www.eBay.com/help/selling/selling/gdpr-obligations-selling-ebay?id=4768

04:02:07 UTC Cedrick
Thanks, are there any other concerns that you may need help with?

04:02:33 UTC servo_dyne
Is this a breach of the GDPR obligations as he is sharing information about my account with eBay?

04:04:31 UTC Cedrick
To be honest with you, blocking a buyer only requires the eBay username and would not ask for any personal information that you have used to registered with, on eBay there is no option to do a seller to seller messaging as well since you can only message someone if you are a buyer and you bought something from the seller.

04:06:38 UTC servo_dyne
So basically I could be blocked from numerous sellers because I returned an item to one of them and there is nothing I can do about it?

04:08:26 UTC Cedrick
Yes, there are instances that other sellers would block buyers based on the other seller's experience though rest assured there are a lot of other sellers on eBay. To check on our GDPR guidelines, you can visit here: https://www.eBay.com/help/selling/selling/gdpr-obligations-selling-ebay?id=4768

04:08:36 UTC Cedrick
Since I believe I have provided you the information about the issue, are there any other concerns that you may need help with?

04:09:42 UTC servo_dyne
I have already read the guidelines and I understood there to have been a breach over my activities on eBay.

04:12:34 UTC Cedrick
A breach happens when your personal information is share, that is why we have eBay usernames so that it is an eBay generated info that does not include any personal information, I understand that you are frustrated due to the information shared for block and again This may have happened outside of eBay since we do not have a seller to seller messaging option on eBay and moreover blocking would only need the eBay username and no additional details.

04:14:10 UTC Cedrick
I just want to make sure that we are still connected. Are you still there?

04:14:49 UTC servo_dyne
Ok then but I'm not very happy that a spiteful seller could do this.

04:15:24 UTC
Chat ended by servo_dyne

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Re; BSA_WM20's comment:

Those who have been on this site for over ten years may remember problems with an eBay vendor from Chicago.

The "guy from Chicago" would change his seller name every week or two, to sucker more buyers. His merchandise was rarely in the good condition
he claimed it to be, and complaints made to eBay never got satisfaction. eBay charged a fee of about $30 for their "conflict resolution" process but
then stalled, stalled, stalled before doing anything (IF they ever did anything at all.)
He may have changed his seller name, but his style never did, so his entries were easily recognized.

Several of us took it as our responsibility to alert other BRITBIKE followers what new names he was using.
Eventually we drove him off of eBay.

Eventually also, the IRS or some other tax authority caught him and closed him down.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Weasel words from eBay frown ......... eBay needs more competition.

From the OP "> "We share our eBay exclusion list with a number of other motorbike shops and vice versa.
We don't store the reasons why people are on the exclusion list but we have this reciprocal agreement in place to protect ourselves and our trading partners from charge backs. <"

Trading partners!! Is it a cartel?

Might be worth trying to purchase a small value item from several likely suspects to see how extensive the ban is.

My best retail experiences in recent years have been with small eBay sellers.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Might be worth trying to purchase a small value item from several likely suspects to see how extensive the ban is.

Funny you should say that. Cartel members that I've found to date:-

Nortonbits
Triumphtwinspares
Onestopbikebits
Norvilmotorcycle

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
... and then create another eBay i/d, repeat the exercise and see if the b*ggers have shared your delivery address

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Why would apparent competitors share information about their customers? If my competitor gave me a list of customers who he refused to sell too, my next move would be to send each of them a 10% off coupon to buy from me. I think what you are seeing is an exclusion list that a distributor/wholesaler has put together and shared with their customers (the competing parts sellers). All the parts sellers get their stock from the same distributors and are all customers of those distributors. I think you have stumbled onto a very confidential sales communication from a distributor/wholesaler that was put together outside of eBay. It is interesting that during these times any business would willfully have a list of people that it refuses to sell too based on their experiences somewhere else.

Scott

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Considering how many of these distributors (and manufacturers) of "reproduction" (not factory original) spares that are crudely made, non-fitting absolute crap, I wouldn't be surprised.

knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Re; BSA_WM20's comment:

Those who have been on this site for over ten years may remember problems with an eBay vendor from Chicago.

The "guy from Chicago" would change his seller name every week or two, to sucker more buyers. His merchandise was rarely in the good condition
he claimed it to be, and complaints made to eBay never got satisfaction. eBay charged a fee of about $30 for their "conflict resolution" process but
then stalled, stalled, stalled before doing anything (IF they ever did anything at all.)
He may have changed his seller name, but his style never did, so his entries were easily recognized.

Several of us took it as our responsibility to alert other BRITBIKE followers what new names he was using.
Eventually we drove him off of eBay.

Eventually also, the IRS or some other tax authority caught him and closed him down.
Marshall? I had a bad deal wth him in the early 90's

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Originally Posted by Hugh Jörgen
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Just sign up to evilly again with a different user name & email address...
Unfortunately you would also need to change the delivery address.
Gets to be a bit of a PITA.

No you don't
I have 3 different eBay identities
one extra by accident which I thought was lost when I changed ISP's and got a new computer
the second was intentional for the purchase of mower parts.
None of them are in my real name either
They are all linked to the same paypal account although one was done via Paymate when it folded around 2000 .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
YES, Hillbilly. Marshall Hagy WAS "That Guy From Chicago," who made enemies world-wide.

I had the opportunity to see him all crippled up and in pain at a swap meet a few weeks before he died.

God's revenge on our behalf, maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books