BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Phil in Germany
Phil in Germany
Duesseldorf/Germany
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#828023 10/28/20 1:48 pm
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

2002 V11 LeMans with 51K miles and many extras and upgrades

My BB experience comes in handy grin

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sweet looking bike.

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Very nice bikes, those modern Guzzis.

I have a friend that had one he liked so much, after he'd racked up over 100,000 miles, he bought another low-mileage one identical to it.

[Linked Image]

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
Thanks, Beach. The PO had the V11 for the past 14 years, kept pouring money into the extras and upgrades. It rides like nothing else, sounds like nothing else, is a total blast to ride. Has its quirks, of course. Like the open drive shaft with three grease fittings, reaching the forward one takes some ingenuity and gyrations.

GP, yep, supposed to go 100K before rebuilds. The PO of this one overhauled the top end at 30K miles so he could fit special pistons and Kibblewhite valves and such. I don't mind.

As to modern, the V11 is not as modern as the 2007 Griso 1100 I had for a few years -- had all the sharp edges rounded off, appearance, performance, handling, everything. Still, I liked it:

As you can see, going to an Italian bike meet is something like going to a British bike meet in that you can't hardly get pics of the bikes without also getting pics of old guys in saggy-ass jeans laugh

Kurt

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
You might need a bunch of those saggy ass guys to help you reinstall the tank. Why I don’t feed mine ethanol.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]85610A04-2B92-4C8D-955A-F6B0792F76E9 by First Last, on Flickr

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
1 to hold the tank and 5 to rotate the bike?

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
lol as they say ...

Reading the V11 forum, someone uses a ratchet strap to "ease" the tank into place. Better suggestion which I will follow -- drain and remove and dry out the tank, let it sit over the winter, will shrink when dry. Don't put it in the dryer though ... .

Kurt

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Choose your poison.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]4ABABB16-EBF7-4532-B712-B3B4ABE5424F by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]773C75FC-52EE-4FD0-8C0B-62775ACF7887 by First Last, on Flickr

My fork tubes contacted the front of the tank when I first bought it. I only feed it premium without ethanol, preferably from Chevron because their pumps have a dedicated hose for premium so you don’t get some of whatever the previous person was buying. Wouldn’t be much, but I dislike ethanol in plastic tanks.... actually I dislike ethanol in anything.

I refer to my V11 as a tractor in a cocktail dress. First time my lovely bride heard the clutch, she says “ what the hell is that?”

Ps... tubes no longer hit the tank.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]0A67AD41-9226-4B47-BB88-D582892F8D90 by First Last, on Flickr

Last edited by Cyborg; 10/28/20 3:39 pm.
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Actually your dryer comment reminds me of the sales manager at one of the local Honda dealerships. Ran into him one day and his face was as red as a beet. Looked like a really bad sunburn and turned out he was just released hospital. He had wiggled the upper portion of his rather rotund body into the dryer and started spraying WD40 to try and eliminate a squeak. I gather the element was still pretty warm. Suggested he get his wife to record any future appliance repairs.

Last edited by Cyborg; 10/28/20 4:04 pm.
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
Yikes! ... so it turns out that WD-40 doesn't work for everything, as some believe.

I'll look for the Chevron premium, thanks.

Kurt

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Another tip.... if for some reason you have to replace any relays, get 5 pin. Stock they are all 4 pin except the one that feeds the ignition, which is 5 pin. That way if the 5 pin craps out, you can just swap it with another relay to get home. There is/was a guy on that V11 forum that sells relays. From China, but have been just fine. I replaced all my relays with 5 pin. The original one on the bike (ignition) seemed to work just fine, but the tach bounced around, which apparently is an indicator of impending doom. The contacts in the relay are starting to fester.

Somewhere there is a website that shows where you can buy ethanol free fuel. It is still fairly easy to come by here. I suspect the brass at Chevron and Shell all drive a Ferrari of some sort. BTW, I don’t believe it is the ethanol itself, but the water it attracts. So if you are consuming the fuel at a reasonable rate, as on a road trip, it shouldn’t matter. Just my humble opinion though...

Last edited by Cyborg; 10/28/20 4:18 pm.
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
Cyborg -- thanks. I did follow that advice, have new 5-pin relays in all. They are OSRAM labelled made in USA, got 'em on eeBay. Also, have added DeoxIT to my array of spray cans.

Huge -- thanks, will check 'em out.

Last edited by kurt fischer; 11/02/20 1:50 pm.

Kurt

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
My favorite station here has separate hoses for the no-alcohol and the E10.
Many of the stations in the middle of nowhere only sell regular E10 and have a separate pump for premium no-alcohol. Not so much for bikes, there's a lot of nice old cars in use around these parts.

Very nice addition to your stable, Kurt!

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
1 member likes this: kurt fischer
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Hadn’t heard of that stuff.... I’ll check it out. There is a guy on that site that advocates jamming all the connectors full of Vaseline, but it has a pretty low melting temp IIRC. Prefer dielectric grease when necessary. Haven’t been on that site forever. Trying to limit web time and increase shop time.
One thing I find with the V11 is it feels a little weird in low speed cornering. Nothing I would consider a bad habit and haven’t bothered to pursue it. Maybe tires or maybe just a characteristic of the bike. It does seem to be getting heavier by the day, but like all the grunt it has.

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Remember that "dielectric" means "insulating". It's not meant to be "packed" into connectors, and that's not how the pros use it!

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My PA6 nylon tank on my MZ Skorpion swelled as well, made all the paint crack and fall off. Due to the nylon absorbing any water in and dropped out of the petrol apparently. Emptied it out, dried it out for a fair while and it shrank back to normal size. I've lined the tank now to stop it happening. So far so good. Ethanol of course takes up more water and this really becomes a problem if you leave the bike standing for any time, like over winter especially if the bike is experiencing lots of temp changes. This wasn't made any better by the filler drain being blocked on my tank. This is the water I got out of the tank.The yellow stuff on top is petrol, white below is water. Only noticed it when it went onto reserve and died, splutter, splutter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tiny hole is to let any rain water out, it didn't of course till I unplugged it. It's a built in pipe that runs right through the tank.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ah the joys of motorcycle fettling... laughing

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!
KarlB #828062 10/28/20 6:08 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
“ The yellow stuff on top is petrol”

Are you sure about that? Everyone I talk to back there says you can’t buy petrol anymore.... just some sort of shite, that barely burns.

Lannis #828063 10/28/20 6:11 pm
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Originally Posted by Lannis
Remember that "dielectric" means "insulating". It's not meant to be "packed" into connectors, and that's not how the pros use it!

Lannis

I think one would have to be pretty creative to jam enough in there to force the pins apart.... not saying those folks aren’t out there though.
Also need to buy it from a reliable source.

#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
A nice wide-ranging thread, pub-style, and I'm drinking only coffee ... so far ... .

Cyborg -- my V11 handled "funny" when I got it. The Michelin PR4s on it had about half their tread left but were wearing funny, cupping on the front. My new go-to tire is Dunlop RoadSmart III (version IV has been announced). Once I put the Dunlops on, the handling straightened out.

KarlB -- YIKES!

(For those who tuned in late, last year I re-patriated my four Brit Bikes, now I have four Italians, expressing the Tartaglione-Prestigiacomo side of my family.)

On the subject of tanks, my '96 Duc has steel, the 2005 Duc has OEM composite but hasn't swelled (might have been replaced warranty earlier in its life), and the 2012 Duc has a double-size (6.4 USG) tank from California Cycleworks.

Yep, I'm a convert to DeoxIT for cleaning electrical contacts. Michael Heth at MotoLectric.com recommends it and includes some wipes with all his products. (Tridentman referred me to Heth.)
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

Question:

Do additives like StarTron or SeaFoam help prevent tank swelling? or provide any noticeable benefit?

Kurt

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
The "new-to-me twin" doesn't appear to be "British-to-me."

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Rod & Tappet stuff, you know...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
Originally Posted by Irish Swede

True, but resembles British in many respects.

Kurt

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Well give him time... you never know what might happen when the cabin fever sets in.

Depending on your point of view on content, this... I believe qualifies as British now after 2+ years of stupidity.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]GL by First Last, on Flickr

Mine definitely has the weird cupping and a new tire waiting for me. Not my favourite task, although I do get a sense of satisfaction when there is no blood and I have the same number of rim protectors that I started with. I tried to take a photo of the cupping, but no luck. Your tire swap give me hope, although I went with Bridgestones..

Last edited by Cyborg; 10/28/20 7:52 pm.
#irideslow
OP Online Content
#irideslow
Whose stupidity?

I take my wheels to my favorite HD shop (not dealer) for mount & balance. I know it will be done right with no scratching or other damage, and the balance weights will match the color of the wheel. Unlike my former Ducati shop which stuck silver weights on my black wheels. mad

Anyway, it's cold and rainy, so here I am instead of riding or working in the unheated garage.

Kurt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books