Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Hillbilly bike
Hillbilly bike
Finger Lakes
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Does anyone here have a good way of installing the center stand on a T140? Stretching the spring is difficult.

Thank you in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Instead of trying to push the spring on, try pulling it on with a piece of cord or wire. An assistant to pull while you guide the spring on, or visa versa, is a huge help.

Not sure about the T140, but this works well on the 650s.

www.hermit.cc/tmc/technote/cstand/index.htm

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
1 member likes this: Stanier8F
D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
Don't know about a T140 but on mine I hook up the spring before I bolt the stand to the frame then use the stand as a lever to get the bolt holes to line up.
Hope that makes sense. It's easier if everything is up on a bench and you are not laying on the floor.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
2 members like this: slofut, Stanier8F
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by desco
Don't know about a T140 but on mine I hook up the spring before I bolt the stand to the frame then use the stand as a lever to get the bolt holes to line up.
Ditto on T120R.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Q
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Q
did you try a screwdriver ?

with centerstand in the down position ,.. one end of spring attached to frame .

place the driver-tip in Centerstand spring attachment loop
hook loose end of spring over screwdriver shaft .
Lever the screwdriver downward , stretching the spring until
the screwdriver angle allows for the spring to
Slip/slide over/toward the screwdrivers-tip located at the Centerstand spring attachment .
the spring can now be flicked onto the loop as the driver is twisted and withdrawn .
( the devil is in the details on this last move )

the spring may need to be twisted a quarter turn , one way or the other , before it is stretched
so the springs hook- end lines up better ... for the last part of the transfer onto the stand loop .
or spring tip can be tapped with a small hammer , to ease the spring off the driver onto the loop

this is the same technique that can be used to stretch those pesky springs on drum brakes .

Last edited by quinten; 10/24/20 3:26 pm.
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Clamp one end of the spring in a vice. Bend spring and insert washer in the gap between adjacent coils. Bend spring the other way and insert another washer 180 degrees offset from the first. Repeat until the spring is long enough to slip over the two location lugs. Fit spring. Remove washers.

I have done it by fixing a length of wire into the front end of the spring, fitting the rear loop onto the c/stand mount, then using a long screwdriver as a lever through the wire loop stretch the spring until the front loop will locate over the frame mount. Last time I tried it I couldn't get it to work for some reason so reverted to the washers method.

3 members like this: gavin eisler, Stanier8F, Stanier8F
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I drilled and tapped holes on the top of vise jaws and inserted screws suitable for the spring ends. Then, open the vise enough to insert washers...

1 member likes this: tridentt150v
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Somehow for me pulling/bending the spring enough to insert washers or coins between the coils is harder than actually mounting the spring.
I've used both the other methods. Seems like the screwdriver method works for me on OIF, while mounting the spring and using the stand as the lever works better on dry frames. I put a smaller diameter bolt in the stand and lug on the timing side and pull the stand into line on the drive side and insert the bolt. After that is easy to screw in the right bolt on the timing side and tighten up.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I put washers in the spring. Put the spring in a vice and bend the spring side ways and insert the washer. More the better.

E647962D-9E75-4061-8D1A-1A244D1A9211.jpeg

Thanks
Al
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by desco
Hope that makes sense. It's easier if everything is up on a bench and you are not laying on the floor.

I do the same, it’s a quick, simple and pain free method without requiring any special tools.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
When the washers are removed does the spring return to its original length?

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Originally Posted by mrcarb
When the washers are removed does the spring return to its original length?
Yes. Install the center stand and spring extend the stand and the washers will come out. You can also put the washers in to remove the spring. Extend the stand put washers in then fold up the stand and the spring will come off easy.

Last edited by Al Navecky Jr; 10/29/20 8:59 pm.

Thanks
Al
M
mrcarb Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Success! The center stand has been installed! I put a lot of washers in the spring to stretch it which allowed it to be installed. I am curious, is there a rubber stop that the center stand rests on when it in the up position? I did not see one in the parts breakdown.

Thank you

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by mrcarb
I am curious, is there a rubber stop that the center stand rests on when it in the up position? I did not see one in the parts breakdown.

Assuming it is the correct stand then no, as there are stop lugs the stand close to the pivots.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books