Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
gREgg-K
gREgg-K
Ottawa, Canada
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
OK, after another near hernia putting the 70 Bonneville on the center stand have decided discretion is the better part of valor.

Recap:
Went to put bike on center stand, cross tube weld partially broke on drive side.
Drive side leg now slightly twisted.

Found a T150 stand which was supposed to be a cross-fit, but while the bolt-hole center to bottom of foot seems the same as original (10"), there is definitely a differing geometry issue.

The original has these numbers on the castings:

On interior of timing side stand leg F5692
On interior of drive side stand leg F5691

Do those narrow it down to a year or model range?
Cheers.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I see no reason why this could not be fixed. After straightening and before welding, I would run a threaded rod with nuts through the top mounts to ensure correct alignment and spacing.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
1 member likes this: gavin eisler
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I see no reason why this could not be fixed. After straightening and before welding, I would run a threaded rod with nuts through the top mounts to ensure correct alignment and spacing.

Sorry, I did not read page 2 before posting; I see you've already moved on to replacement.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Re Springs, the stock spring is more than man enough for the job, if it was any harder to put on it would be nearly impossible. i use the loads of washer or pennies trick, put one end in a vise, bend the spring to open the coils stuff washers in the gaps.
Dont throw the olsd stand away , its fixable. Heat to dull red to take out twist, pay the welder.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
The stand looks to be casted in the same malleable iron that the foot pegs are cast from? Thus easily bent back and repaired?

'68 Bonnie, '70 TR6r
'74 CL360
trail 70's and minitrails
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by slofut
The stand looks to be casted in the same malleable iron that the foot pegs are cast from? Thus easily bent back and repaired?

Yes
and
Yes but with heat ie as per Gavin's dull red, do not try to bend cold.

Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member

Sorry, I did not read page 2 before posting; I see you've already moved on to replacement.

OK, you all convinced me the piece should be saved.
Got a couple feet of 7/16"-20 rod to jig the legs.
Anyone have that dimension of flat-to-flat on the bolt holes handy?
Cheers

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books